Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - SSK solid bush/bearing

You are most welcome kind sir. :thumbs:

alex yates said:
Still waiting on my Bronze. Supplier's let me down twice. Don't want you thinking I've forgot.

Where are you at with these know Alex?

PM sent. :thumbs:

Drove a Porsche SSK equipped 997 in the weekend and yup, the standard factory 996 setup is fairly poor. Flaccid m ight be the word. I replaced all the mounts last year and that improved things massively, however there isa lot of play in the factory setup, the SSK on the other hand was a vast improvement.

So thanks Alex, one of these modified beasties on its way to the other side of the planet :)

Dammit said:
I've got a spare standard shifter from a 996.1 if anyone wants it to have Alex'd.

I'll take it off your hands if you still have it Dammit. I have a 997 SSK but I'd get this spare one Alex'd just to see the difference ;)

Installed the Alex SSK into my leggy 986 today, which is lovely, even with its slightly sloppy gear change and slightly vague steering. Well, the gearchange is now transformed, shorter throw, nice and positive without being stiff or notchy. Nice job Alex :worship:

PS. Alex, I was the other buyer with spiderlane :thumb:

Alex can you PM me the address to send a shifter to please? It's for ELA, which I totally forgot about until seeing this thread again (sorry!)

Mine arrived just before the weekend in New Zealand, (thanks Alex)

Fitting was fairly easy, cutting the old clips out took about half the total time and i got to clean some dust bunnies out from under the console too.

Iv'e got to say its a marked difference over factory! Had the factory setup in various cars since 2000, and this is very different! I know i will really enjoy it, but its going to take a couple of decent road trips to get used to it :)

Alex's workmanship on this is first rate by the way, and drove back to back with a Porsche SSK fitted 997 yesterday and the price differential has no apparent difference in performance/operation so yahoo!! Finally a cost effective upgrade!

Dammit said:
Alex can you PM me the address to send a shifter to please? It's for ELA, which I totally forgot about until seeing this thread again (sorry!)

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I think you guys might have got a bit mixed up. I only supply the SSK and then the user needs to install it into the shifter main housing (I presume this is what you have). I'm sure Richard is quite capable of installing the SSK into the shifter housing & doesn't want me charging him for doing it.

Therefore, you need to send your shifter straight to him and then he can get a SSK from me and install it.

......or have I got totally mixed up too? :dont know:

If I'm correct, you have this:

s-l300.jpg

and I supply this that can then be installed into the above:

n82tu6r.jpg

End result:

bXc1lik.jpg

I've a spare 996 shifter base available of someone wants to be able to prepare one off the car and be able to swap them straight over

Alex, I'm interested in one of your shift kits; could you drop me a PM please with details re. payment etc. if you're taking orders.

Cheers

I have installed SSK upgraded by Alex on last Friday, easy to do, it took me around 2h with cleaning all old dirt also I have earn £1.20 :D I'm still learn how to change gears biggest problem for me "3" perhaps I setup to tight.

I like it a lot as my old was too much play-worn out :thumb:

Thanks Alex!!!!

77szymon said:
I have installed SSK upgraded by Alex on last Friday, easy to do, it took me around 2h with cleaning all old dirt also I have earn £1.20 :D I'm still learn how to change gears biggest problem for me "3" perhaps I setup to tight.

I like it a lot as my old was too much play-worn out :thumb:

Thanks Alex!!!!

Yes, I thought the SSK was too short for me, Alex modded a standard 997 shift for me and it's superb, no play at all in any direction and superbly precise with a useful decrease in travel.

I am having occasional issues selecting first but I think I need to set up the cables more accurately. Does anyone have views about the difference between 996 and 997 Porsche gear lever lock tools?

thanks
Mike

Finally got my finger out and the car in for fitting of Alex's modded SSK. What can I say? It's the dogs danglies with a superb rifle bolt action exactly what I was hoping for. Just came home via the local hill climb route......twice! The gear change is brilliant and addictive.

Anyone thinking of this mod should seriously consider Alex's well engineered solution - you won't be disappointed. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back