Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Success of stick on number plates

Delanor

That is success at avoiding the dibble/officialdom?

I need to replace the front number plate and I am thinking of junking the plate carrier etc and to just have a stick on plate so has anyway successfully done the same without too much bother.

Del.

I have the dealer aluminium plate which bend well onto the plate mount. 1 year on seems to be sticking well.

Had my smaller font stick-on fitted for a few months now and no bother at all. :thumb:

C.

Recently applied a stick on plate to my 981 after removing plinth and filling holes in bumper. I have regular 7 digit number and trimmed the plate slightly top bottom and sides so that it avoids the worst of the double curvature. It still has regular spacing and a reasonable border around the edge. I think it works well, getting rid of the box and accentuating the original design.

2 years in and Never had a problem. Never been pulled, always fine at MoT.

Correct sized font and border, all legal markings etc.

Mine was from DMB but they don't make them anymore. Some forum members have questioned whether they are truly compliant with the BS standard. I'm unable to comment on that but have answered OPs question regarding problems with plod.

Do it, it looks so much better, especially with a shorter plate.

What did you do about old screw holes and square holes in the bumper? Filler and paint or epoxy?

I had two holes (have heard horror stories of some cars having 6!)

I made sure there was no burr protruding from the holes, and stuck the plate on to see if the dimples were visible (with a view to filling and buying another plate if it looked rubbish).

The dimples are barely visible (you have to look really closely), so I'm happy.

The plate was only £11 so just try it and see.

I was nervous/paranoid about not fitting it straight, but just use a spray bottle with water and fairy liquid so you can slide it around, then squeegee out the fluid with a credit card wrapped in microfibre. -simples :grin:

Do the police actually do anything about spacing/font etc? From the number of illegally-specced cars near me, it does not seem like they care much... Maybe too much paperwork?

I think most police do not car at all, unless you're driving in a way that gets their attention in the first place. However, it only takes one......I had a huge argument with Officer Dibble about my short plate (5 digits). It is not a stick on one. It is 100% legal, correct font, spacing, BS marking, everything. He wouldn't have it, kept saying "plates have to be 520 mm wide, that's the law" which is plain wrong.
When I said "what about Rover and Jaguar rear plates, they are bigger" he said "no they aren't" which is also wrong. Eejit! He just wouldn't admit he was wrong, and eventually I said "OK I promise to get a standard longer plate." That was his escape route and I was sent on my way with a "don't let me catch you again" warning.
I now carry a DVLA piece of paper that explains the rules. So, short and/or stick on and/or mis-spaced plates are usually fine but it only takes one policeman with an attitude to spoil your day.
There's also the risk of the jobsworth MOT tester.........

Well I have searched the DMB site but cannot find any stick on plates.

Del.

tempted to get one for the front. Where can i get one made?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back