Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 not intended as a scare story and is just my Car

Zingari said:
I think I've worked it out. Your car was intended for 'Lucky' Les as he's having too much good luck on his current run of 911s :grin:

:floor: :floor: Les did like mine Zingers , hes had so much good luck with his last one he thinks his fortunes have improved enough to venture to a DB9 , I just hope hes doesn't end up costing him the 50k mine did in 4 yrs of ownership. :grin: :grin:

KJD said:
Damn frustrating and a lost summer of driving .
I just hope it's sorted as soon and as pain free as possible. :thumb:

Thanks Kev, most frustrating thing is the not actually knowing whats wrong with it. :thumb:

Counter Of Beans said:
Some sensible comments here about depreciation. As I keep having to explain to Mrs COB, the true cost of a car must include the difference between its purchase price and its sale value. For a used Porsche that seems much lower than most other brands.
My other car is a Range Rover. I know folk who've splashed £75k plus on a Rangie that'll be worth £45k maximum in 3 years when the warranty expires and they px it for a new one. That's £10k per year depreciation right there, and they aren't known for their reliability.
Anyway Phil I hope you get your car fixed as soon as possible and without too much more expense. You'll also have the bonus of everything having been fully checked - it's all part of the bonding process!
Mike.

lets hope the bonding process works out better than it did with my 1st wife :floor: or it will be off to bond with someone else :grin: just like the 1st wife :floor: :floor: :floor: moved her on with serious borescore from abuse from too many drivers not fully warmed up before pushing hard :floor: :floor: :floor:

Thefinn said:
Sad news Phil let's hope you find out the issue soon and it's not an engine out job. :thumb:

thanks Finn, gottans, infrasilver will keep everyone posted on findings as we progress . :thumb: :thumb:

alex yates said:
Zingari said:
I think I've worked it out. Your car was intended for 'Lucky' Les as he's having too much good luck on his current run of 911s :grin:

He's bought himself a 6 litre V12 DB9: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=129120&start=61

Watch this space!! :grin:

what the space on his drive due to it being back at AML so often :grin: :grin: I hope not but do remember the feeling when I had mine :grin: :grin:

Bit like owning a Gen 2 997 :grin: :wack:

Just a quick question Phil ..

You say its a random misfire which moves around but only one cylinder at a time .. is this a total misfire each time .. ie its shut the injection down due to that cylinder not doing anything or are we talking just a few missed ignition cycles on a cylinder in each timer cycle .. 3k is the reset counter .

Was there No fault codes for misfires ?

EDIT ..

Also .. is this only when cold or in the warm up faze with hot driving being fine or is this at any temp ?

Phil,
I applaud your attitude to your problem. It would be fair to say that this issue could have as easily happened in a Kia,Ford,Ferrari or a McLaren to name a few brands.
By engaging Baz, I feel you're etting a trusted advisor and you're in a safe pair of hands.
Its a shame his 4.0 conversion isn't ready as I can't think of a better candidate for it to go to. You'd become the Sith Lord of mods if you could(sorry couldn't help the star wars theme as it's on the box)
Good luck mate :thumb:

Sorry to hear of your Gen 2 woes Phil, but as others have said, you have the right attitude towards these issues, as is normal for you :grin:

I ALWAYS tell people who ask me about buying a Porsche, you absolutely have to be under no illusions that at any time you might land a bill for £10,000+, so keep that in mind, always :what:

deMort said:
Just a quick question Phil ..

You say its a random misfire which moves around but only one cylinder at a time .. is this a total misfire each time .. ie its shut the injection down due to that cylinder not doing anything or are we talking just a few missed ignition cycles on a cylinder in each timer cycle .. 3k is the reset counter .

Was there No fault codes for misfires ?

EDIT ..

Also .. is this only when cold or in the warm up faze with hot driving being fine or is this at any temp ?

Iain, It runs fine until you hit around 3800 rpm when the engine changes note it then starts to missfire no codes and no engine workshop light you can see which cylinder is missfiring on the durametric and piwis but no reasons given for it after a few mins the management visit workshop light comes on but still no codes the cylinger thats missfireing will be in several hundred at that point and the exhaust sounds like a firework display lol. as it continues you will see odd low number missfires on other cylinders but I was told that was just the engine trying to compensate if you continue it runs rougher and rougher until it struggles to rev and stalls . you then restart the engine and it will be the same process again but on a different cylinder. it may at that point also missfire before you get to 300 rpm. the visit workshop light will have gone off and will come back on as you continue to run it. we have taken it for test drives several times and its fine until it starts and then we limp home on one run we drove 3 miles before it started but were keeping the revs low. :dont know:

alex yates said:
Bit like owning a Gen 2 997 :grin: :wack:

well yes for some of us it seems :grin: :grin: :grin:

FZP said:
Phil,
I applaud your attitude to your problem. It would be fair to say that this issue could have as easily happened in a Kia,Ford,Ferrari or a McLaren to name a few brands.
By engaging Baz, I feel you're etting a trusted advisor and you're in a safe pair of hands.
Its a shame his 4.0 conversion isn't ready as I can't think of a better candidate for it to go to. You'd become the Sith Lord of mods if you could(sorry couldn't help the star wars theme as it's on the box)
Good luck mate :thumb:

:floor: :floor: Frank I know, I was a bit down, well if you can be down because you have been told no you cant spend 10k because your cars dead and to be the first to have a 4ltr Hartech convertion. Baz did discuss it with me but its not ready yet and not even ready for a customer to be a test mule which you have to respect they want to use their own mule first for trials its not even like I am close to them to pop in for them to check things . . So my place as Sith Lord will have to wait :grin: :grin: you are right this isnt going to be a Porsche only issue its going to be something that could have happened in any car just something let go and broke. its just trying to find out what and avoid the OPCs attitude of we are not mechanics any more we are bonus focussed fitters and just want to replace the engine as we dont have time or interest in diagnosing and repairing. :nooo: still that attitude is great for the Indies who still enjoy finding faults and work arounds. and if I can avoid spending 10k because 4/5k will fix it properly well as my surnames not rothchild that would be good :grin: :grin:

kurlykris said:
Sorry to hear of your Gen 2 woes Phil, but as others have said, you have the right attitude towards these issues, as is normal for you :grin:

I ALWAYS tell people who ask me about buying a Porsche, you absolutely have to be under no illusions that at any time you might land a bill for £10,000+, so keep that in mind, always :what:

Thanks Kris, your right, but I do think that applies to many high end cars they are thoroughbreds and as such may have a hissy fit at any time leaving you with a big bill, mmmmm sounds again like my 1st wife :floor: :floor: :floor: that reminds me I must check for bananas up the exhaust and discount that :grin: on the car not the ex wife :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back