Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High mileage 997

If I was selling a car with even a small problem I wouldn't sell it to a neighbor! So that's a good sign. You have owned a 996 so you know what it's all about! I'm in the camp of if it looks right and the paperwork backs up, buy it!

Great colour too :thumb:

Counter Of Beans said:
Genuine question: you guys saying "if it goes pop just get a rebuild for £10k" - how simple is that to actually arrange? I mean, do you just put the car on a low loader to Bolton, Hartech work their magic, and it comes back a week later? Or is there a lot more hassle than that? What if the engine grenades in lane 3 of a busy motorway, or on holiday etc.? What do you drive in the meantime, whilst it's being fixed? How do you raise the £10k or do the likes of Hartech offer finance?

I'm not questioning your logic, I get it that if you only pay £16k in the first place then a £10k rebuild isn't a disaster. Who on here has actually had their car's engine rebuilt following failure? How was it for you? Like I said, genuinely curious.

Mate, in answer to your question but answered for OP as it was about his car and whats hes paying for it. it was just the man maths logic , theres nothing to say it will go bang in the next 100k miles its just your in the fortunate position that if your unlucky your not going to lose a shed load, yes I think hartech offer finance , yes it goes on a low loader to them , a rebuild is 40 hours but they may have a few infront of you that depends on times etc they seem to be able to rebuild something like 5 or7 per week its a bit of a production line process in ther place. what do you drive while your waiting entrprise is your friend there lol.
The man maths works for you should the worst happen , in my case it doesnt my car was 48k its currently worth about 40/42k and I today sent an oil sample to Hartech and pics of the borescope done today as I am in the middle of finding out if my bullet proof gen2 needs a rebuild as its not running right. am I worried no, am I losing sleep no, am I pissed off that after 4.5 years of gen1 ownership and no issues my highly regarded twice the price gen2 has broken YES especially as I have already spent 8k on it since xmas on gearbox rebuild , new clutch , flywheel, coroded coolant pipes. but my man maths calculator still says over the 5 yrs I will keep this like my last one its still only 3.5/4k pa ave and I use it daily 12k pa, if my hobby was golf the membership fees and green fees for a couple or three rounds per week would be over 3k pa . provided you always consider worst case scenario and can you live with it and justify it, then a 911 is for you. The guys that struggle are the ones that can just afford to get into a 911 by the skin of their teeth and havent considered the running costs and how they are going to deal with the possibility of maybe getting a big bill not all by any stretch will but you need to have considered it. :thumb: :thumb:

Im really considering it. I would speak with him more tomorrw and take it from there

Good reply Phil, can't argue with any of that my friend.
Hope you get your running issues resolved and at minimal cost if possible.
I suppose if any of us are truly risk averse we'd just buy a Hyundai or something and our drive would be dull, dull, dull.
No pain no gain, or something, but I hope your Gen 2 pain is small.
Cheers, Mike.

Counter Of Beans said:
I suppose if any of us are truly risk averse we'd just buy a Hyundai or something and our drive would be dull, dull, dull.
Cheers, Mike.

Thanks Mike will keep you posted on my chocolate gen2 while the rest of you enjoy your reliable gen1s lol., your totally right there are 1000 bland euro transport boxes out there called a turdingo or shitron etc but if you want to drive something fun they can come with bills but the alternative is euro box , grey suit, bland life then die :grin: :grin: I intend to live life and if it meas I leave my kids a few quid less so be it they will still have more than I started with :floor: :floor:

Counter Of Beans said:
Genuine question: you guys saying "if it goes pop just get a rebuild for £10k" - how simple is that to actually arrange? I mean, do you just put the car on a low loader to Bolton, Hartech work their magic, and it comes back a week later? Or is there a lot more hassle than that? What if the engine grenades in lane 3 of a busy motorway, or on holiday etc.? What do you drive in the meantime, whilst it's being fixed? How do you raise the £10k or do the likes of Hartech offer finance?

I'm not questioning your logic, I get it that if you only pay £16k in the first place then a £10k rebuild isn't a disaster. Who on here has actually had their car's engine rebuilt following failure? How was it for you? Like I said, genuinely curious.

I have had my 997.1 S for almost 4 years now and it's got 93,000 miles on the clock. When I finally decided to go into Porsche ownership, I did so with my eyes wide open, fully aware of the running costs and potential engine failure issues. Not long after owning the car, I recognised the symptoms of cylinder bore scoring. I'm a car enthusiast and have always been a forum member, but never in my wildest dreams, would I have ever expected such a membership to prove so valuable.

Soon after posting the usual car introduction and photos on this site, the previous owner commented on how this was his car and through some private messages, he disclosed that the car still had the balance of the Porsche warranty. Well you can imagine my joy, I couldn't pick the phone up fast enough and my fat fingers were smoking as I punched in the number for Porsche HQ. They instantly transferred the ownership of the warranty to me and the very next day, I was at my local OPC to report my cars sickness. They had the car in over Christmas and rebuilt the engine and as a matter of course, fitted the larger IMS bearing. I was handed the car back at 73,000 miles and with an invoice of £12K, I merrily went on my way.

I made sure to run the engine in and following an oil change, switched to Millers Nanodrive engine oil for all subsequent services. Four years in and the car has used little oil between services and performed just as Ferdinand would have expected. I've always warmed the engine to correct operating temp, staying under 3,000 rpm, before any spirited driving and cooled it down prior to switch off. I also learnt that these engines, like many other high performance iterations, need to be kept in the correct rev range and particularly, above 2,000 rpm from 2nd gear onwards. This year I rewarded my car for providing stellar service, with a full detail and ceramic coating and refurbished the wheels in Audi Gunmetal Grey. People who see the car are shocked at its true age and mileage, but keeping it that way is something I can not help but do, as my alter ego is called Mr OCD...

Phil 997 said:
I would be saying to myself get a ppi and borescope and if its an early one check the vin see if its pre the IMS upgrade if so then you know that might be an issue but generally speaking if its at 120k its best to leave it alone as its done its job so far without issue , if its a newer IMS model then thats not an issue to worry about. So that leaves you assuming the PPI borechecks good then you have a car that your getting for well under 20k so I assume we are talking 16/18k so you buy it with the knowledge that at present its good and in the future it might need a rebuild at 10k which means your into 26/28k for the car . the good news is that Hartech rebuild gen1 C2S are currently selling for a premium and are in the high 20Ks So your not really in theory going to lose out on the car but what you need to know is , if it goes pop and gets a rebuild have I got the extra 10k needed that I can invest in the car to not get back until I sell the car. If the answer is yes then go get yourself a 997.1 and get back to big grin 911 driving. :thumb: :thumb:

:eek: A rebuild on a gen 1 :eek:

Counter Of Beans said:
Cheers, Mike.

:yeah:

Sorry to hear that Phil let's hope it works out for you :thumb:

Sorry op for hijacking but Phill start another thread! It will be an interesting read. Good luck with it mate!!

silvermilnec said:
Sorry op for hijacking but Phill start another thread! It will be an interesting read. Good luck with it mate!!

will do Chris :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back