Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

M96 Engine Rebuild time

You just want an excuse for a run out in the car !

Avoid the coast road .. i nearly cooked the last time lol .

Let me know some dates and ill bring home my meters and amp hound .. nothing like a good electrical fault to get me interested !

Finally caught up with the whole thread.

Outstanding and top effort from all those contributed to this thread. Great skillz James :thumb:

Cheers Y2K.

Have you just sold your C2 aero and replaced with a GT3??? Good skills yourself!! :thumb:

Thanks pal, yes GT3 now, a car I always wanted.

I'm loving it. I'll post something when I have a chance.

Excellent read for those who live their projects life vicariously :thumb:

To be fair I would have thrown a large piece of material over the whole engine bay as soon as the first bolt had snapped and I would have then feigned illness until my kids were so convinced out of pity they would have written to Tim Shaw at Car SOS :hand:

On hand over I would gladly smile at the work done, shook Fuzz's hand firmly and then punch Tim hard :grin:

Ha, brilliant, many thanks, There were a few grumpy moments I can tell you!!!

There won't be much more project stuff from this member for a while........ :eek:

Excellent fleet by the way. All the bases covered with a Turbo and an Elise.

Jamesx19 said:
Ha, brilliant, many thanks, There were a few grumpy moments I can tell you!!!

There won't be much more project stuff from this member for a while........ :eek:

Excellent fleet by the way. All the bases covered with a Turbo and an Elise.

Thanks James for the kind words about my 'collection' small c :D

It just leaves you drive it like you stole it ( but not like Police Interceptors because that usually doesn't end well ) :cop:

Small update - Engine now run in and changed the oil over to Millers Nano+ 10W50.

No "bits" in filter or the bowl after doing the oil change. All running well. The only issues I've had are a very small leak from a hose clip that needed an extra nip up and the exhaust manifold to Cats, bolts and nuts loosening off and needed tightening.

Other than that all good and looking forward to a road trip next week up to the land of North Wales for a bimble around..... :) - Though that now sounds like it may be extended to encompass Scotland. We need to go and look at a car for my Old Man who had his BMW 130i stolen off his driveway 2 nights ago!!

cheers

Hi James
Just read the entire thread, great read, lots of valuable info and as others have said so much support and advice from those that know.
No doubt you are enjoying it :thumb:

Cheers chaps.

Yep definitely enjoying it as much as possible before it gets cold and they salt the roads.

Hi James. I'm new on here and I'm only getting time to read some of the threads. I recently sold my p1 Impreza which I had 3 years and it blew up as soon as I bought it. It's an emotional roller coaster trying to figure out what to do and what spec to build when your stuck in the lime light. I can understand the financial worry of it all but I'm glad you got there in the end.

How does the car feel now you have it run in?

This might sound like a silly question, like I said I'm new to 911's, but could you not change/upgrade to the likes of a 997 Carrera s 3.8 lump? I understand these aren't bomb proof either but is it a viable option?

The point is that a properly rebuilt engine will be without the flaws of the original build.

A newer original engine may still be prone to problems.

Better in the long run to go for a rebuilt 'future proof' engine... the 3.4 can be increased to 3.7 if that's your bag...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back