Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cabrio drain tube help

Kbald

Hi all i sem to have a leak into the rear off side seat and footwell. Ive had the carpets out and dried but its back again.

So far i have removed the rear wheels and liners cleaned out the drains there. Ive taken out the speakers and rear panels and cleaned out the tray and ensured the pipe is on ok and blew compressed air down to ensure that the down-pipe is clear all good. I thought that would be it sorted but no. Wet agin under the carpets.

I have had the roof in serivce mode and poured water into the 3 drain holes and on the one nearst the back the water tuns out of the rear bumper he front one drains out of the rear under the drain hole and the middle seems to go o where. None of them are draining into the tray behind the speakers or the pipe so i suspect someng has come away upstream. Has anyone else had this or have any idea how to get to the pipes by the top drainholes? Ive seen the pipe routing diagrams and it seems they should all drain down to te tray and out of the drain hole unless the c4 is different? Thanks in advance.

Blimy .. you have had your share of problems so far !

Ok .. rear drains so behind the speaker is the catch tray .. this has a plastic pipe on it which can spit or not be connected , its standard practise to remove the rear panel and inspect the catch tray / pipe for any water leak problems .

The pipe from this runs straight to the wheel arch liner area , just behind it and the rubber grommet needs removing if not already done .. an airline up this pipe is also usefull ... see image .

I could use some pictures of where you are pouring in the water .. some of the drains dont go into the catch tray .

Attachments

• p5240002_170.jpg
    p5240002_170.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 4,903
  • p5240002_170.jpg
    p5240002_170.jpg
  • p5240002_170.jpg
    p5240002_170.jpg
Haha i know but nothing too major so far and was prepared for a few buying an 18 year old car. In a strange way i quite like it as i get to know how the car goes together!

Ive had the side panels off inside and drains/catch trays are cleared and pipes are connected correctly etc. The ones in the wheel well as per your picture are cleaned out too. Ive had a compresses air hose in the drain hole behind the speaker and blown through so all clear there.

Will have another look tomorrow and get some pics to post up to help with diagnosis.

A couple of pics of the rear carpet after a heavy downpour!

Attachments

• img_20180730_173413_175.jpg
    img_20180730_173413_175.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 4,872
  • img_20180730_173410_179.jpg
    img_20180730_173410_179.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 4,872
Best thing to do is sit in the back with you interior side panel off and have a hose pipe on the roof. Watch where the water runs down inside the car and down into the tray/reservoir bit and make sure the water then runs freely down the drain from it. Make sure any water isn't spilling out and into the car. My bet is the bottom drain plug demort stated isn't clear.

Thanks Alex i will give that a go and see if i can identify the issue.

Bottom drain plug asper demorts pic is definately clear and not bumged up though as ive had compressed air down it and some water when testing it and its running fine. The problem is upstream somewhere yet to be determined. Will get the panel off again. :thumb:

Your first image shows water running down on top of the carpet .. that would indicate its from the drain catch tub area.

There is a corrigated pipe there .. is that connected and not loose or is it split .

Alex,s answer is one i would do .. panel off , someone hoseing it down from the outside and look to see where the water is coming from ..

To be honest its how we find leaks at work !!

EDIT .. you might want to pull out the wiring gromet for the rear window wiring just to see if theres water there .

The images were from when the catch tray was blocked solid. Id cleaned the outlets when you suggested a while ago but didnt do the trays till i found all that water. This is when I removed the rear seats, carpets and side panels cleaned it all out. Whats happened since its all back together but still wet, no where near like it was! Makes me think something else is blocked. Yesterday i had the roof in service mode peeled the screen part back and found the drains and they are all clear and the corrugated pipe is connected and not split so all that looks fine. It could just be now that the dampness is from it not fully drying before maybe. Will get the side panel off again though and have hose run over it to see.

Is there any pics of how the shute shields (best description i can think of) go back in anywhere?

Thanks again for everyones help and suggestions

Could well be you've solved the leak and the extra water is just excess stuff draining out the foam backed carpets - they're like sponges.

If you have a dehumidifier in the house, leave it in the car running overnight and also put something under the carpet to hold it up so air can circulate under it and dry it out. I've used a small paint tin in the past and just wedged it under the floor carpet to hold it up.

So to update the thread the leak was fixed by unblocking the drains behind the speaker and the water was just residual left over. There has been several heavy prolonged showers and there is no more dampness so happy days. One for cab owners to keep an eye on for sure.

found objects in drain hole

I experienced the usual wet rear seat near side left in my C4 Cab 1999. With the help of this great forum I cleaned out the drain hole from behind speaker and down behind the wheel arch lining. At the bottom I found a small torx screw and bit of black plastic with an "L" on it.

Any ideas where they are from?

The speaker has been off before it looks like as the torx screws are black but on the drivers side speaker they are blue like the interior.

Attachments

• car_bits_170.jpg
    car_bits_170.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,576
The black plastic is either off your cab roof or the hard top. Its the cover or part of it that clips over the left hand front locating lug. Torx screw may also be off the front of your cab roof.

Sorry, yesterday I was replying on my phone whilst out so couldn't post any pics, etc.

The plastic bit looks like the bit that is clipped on the LH locator lug seen in this photo:

k6eqq66.jpg

The front trim where that lug screws in also has Torx screws along it like the one in your photo. When the roof folds into its down position, both parts are directly above where there's a gap down in to the inside drain area of the car. If they've come loose and fallen off, there's a good chance that's where they'll end up (where you found them).

Like I said, could also be the plastic caps of the hradtop which are pretty similar. They look like this:

Pair-Genuine-Porsche-996-997-Carrera-Hardtop-Lug-Cover-Caps-99656370501601-NEW-152601983428.JPG

Thanks for the advice. I've checked both hard and soft top and can't find anywhere that the bit fits nor a screw missing. I had the back plastic window redone few years ago, I wonder if those bits got dropped when that was being done?

I've attach a picture with scale so you can see how small they are. cm.

Attachments

• img_6831_997.jpg
    img_6831_997.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 3,484
Could possibly be off somewhere else. Can you not see that part on the opposite side of the car?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back