Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 997 Carrera S progress..

Thanks guys

Have forgotten about this for a while!

The car wasn't really used over the winter month but the last month, I've been using it a bit more and enjoying it again. 33300 miles clocked the other day.

Nothing much has gone on apart from a good clean before the England game.

I had noticed that the plastic around the rear lights looked a bit white so I used some Gtechniq permanent trim restorer to bring the colour back.

42546204294_e540c28b79_c.jpg

28395366257_09a1da384d_c.jpg

Didn't need much but a good clean trying out my new inline water filter (Amazing, you can literally let the water dry in direct sunlight and no water marks remain!!)
Finished the car off with Korea Fireball Hydrophobic snow foam, leaves a nice gloss and will bead water like nothing else.

Wheels and calipers fully detailed in and out.

29395313408_9d804dd3da_c.jpg

41455101200_e05f309692_c.jpg

43215395272_202f80a579_c.jpg

29395322738_bbdfdb01e5_c.jpg

It was bloody hot, not sure about it being that hot however!

28395337567_6feb2bc01b_c.jpg

Plan on changing the AOS next. :thumbs:

Just read this from start to finish! Lovely car and you have really bought the best out of silver!

Your attention to detail is superb - makes me want to get under mine, remove the undertrays and give it a good clean!

By the way, the side decals look awesome too - who did those for you?

Also, spacers and wheel bolts - where did you get them from?

What a brilliant thread - having just bought 997.1 I found this really enjoyable and useful. It even had the highs and lows of a drama with the dyno test! (Glad the output improved). Keep it up please - great stuff

Thanks Guys!

I like the plate but so many cars are faster now, I dare try and show off anymore
:grin: :cop: :dont know: Need a 9e Turbo!

Thanks Mick, I just love to do what I do, I've pretty much done the same to an old 05 plate focus diesel I use as a work horse! :grin:

The stickers were by someone on ebay, I think porsche stopped all that due to copyright now as I can't seem to find them!

Spacers are from EuroGT

Power returned, just minor service items and exhaust repair so panic over.

I will update this with a new AOS being fitted soon, not looking forward to that job!

Replaced the AOS, I didn't take as many pictures as hoped but have some.

Behind the throttle body within the intake areas which I could access, there was a good coating of oil all around, so I took that as a buggered AOS.

I'm not sure what the fuss was about in regard to this job, it took 3 hours but it wasn't a challenge, the hardest bit was getting one of the pipes off from the back of the AOS, I couldn't get a squeeze on the clip. Dead easy really.

I haven't used the car much since doing the job but on the times I have, no smoke. My oil pressure gauge is working now but it seems very slow to respond, once the pressure goes up, it takes a while to sink back down so I plan on changing that, after doing some googling, it seems they dont last long..

So, anyone wanting to do this, easy job, just give yourself 3 hours, a chair and a beer and crack on.

Just removed airbox, a/c pump moves to one side, PAS bottle and then you've got access.

43416655425_bca00bffe3_z.jpg

Found a ***** ton of leaves which I hoovered out.

43416874215_e05f5d83ec_z.jpg

Old AOS

44274519042_ca8c443cc3_z.jpg

I cleaned all the pulleys and other bits and forgot to take pics of the finished article! Doh!

If that top picture is before cleaning and doing the work, then it already looks pretty clean to me! :thumbs:

Maybe this job is just difficut on earlier cars

*edit to say great thread now I've gone back to the beginning. Seems we're treading a similar path working on the Porsche.. I had an MX5 turbo too, now have an MX5 powered Roadrunner SR2 which we're currently turboing!

:hand: no no, not clean in those pics!

It wasn't too bad at all, perhaps all of the internet stories of it being hard raised my expectations, eithr way, done now :)

Thanks!
Ohhh I have looked in to those Road Runner kits, I have always considered going that route one day, I'd love to go back to back with one to feel the difference, I imagine it is much more of a monster without the body weight!

Having seen this thread, I looked for oil misting on my inlet, and there's much more than any of your pics. Something else to fix

Back to back with the MX5 and Roadrunner? Completely different cars. The RR is very much the same as a Westfield, very raw, very involving, no creature comforts at all (no windscreen even) so yeah, very different cars. I suspect it'll be a handful with the Turbo added, but fun :)

Does yours occasionally smoke after starting for the first time? Mine did after a hot run but it doesn't appear to smoke at all anymore. I imagine the oil in the intakes was simply building up and then getting sucked in and burnt off.

I need to try one out, now that I'm used to the power of the turbo, I need to up the excitment! A borg warner setup or kit seems to be the way to go.

I haven't noticed any smoke from the tailpipes or engine bay, but will keep an eye out for it.

To be honest, the comparison between the MX5 and the Porsche is closer than comparing either of them to the SR2. The SR2/Roadrunner is just so much more track focussed it makes it a different experience all together. Get a passenger ride out in a Westfield or similar at a track day and you'll see :thumb:

Keep the updates going :thumb:

:worship: 100% want to try a west or caterham, a friends has nearly finished building one so I'll see what that's like!

Just wanted to update, my car hasn't created a cloud since fitting the new AOS,I even pulled off the intake hose to finger the throttle body and it was dry! I've done a few motorway runs and odd drives, about 500 miles or so, in that time, I would have had a few embarrassing moments of smoking people out, NO MORE!

My oil pressure gauge remains high however, once the car is warm is drop down to 3 bar but just a slight application of throttle pins it back to 5 and it takes a good minute before it slowly sinks back to 3, I'll assume the sender is fooked so I'll replace that next.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :thumbs:

New oil pressure switch has arrived, need to work out where it is on the car and swap that out.

£58 for reference.

Took the car to the pub on the weekend, it is sooooooo nice not having to worry if my car is going to blow smoke now, especially as the only space free was backing on to the busy pub garden!

Snapped some quick pics on the phone, wife ducking down :floor:

44330421694_aef9369d70_c.jpg

30114092977_8832c34908_c.jpg

31177285428_1a893ef1d8_c.jpg

30114093627_05c87c1172_c.jpg

44138777725_49338d35e1_c.jpg

Oil pressure fitting switch next

Great pictures!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members