Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How do you get on allocation list for a new GT3 RS?

911 Bob

A friend of mine desperately wants a new RS but doesn't want to pay premium on used/flipped one, particularly as he intends to use it.
He has had a few Porsches already, all from new. Currently has a 991 Turbo and Cayenne but wants to add an RS to the stable.

Does anyone know the secret of getting an allocation? Can any lucky owners share their experiences and advice please.

Thanks,

Bob

I doubt that there's a universal approach to securing an RS product, at least not officially, but a strong relationship with an OPC who has a build slot available certainly goes a long way. I have heard of customers writing to the Dealer Principal pleading their case, stating long-term brand loyalty and that they will keep and use the car rather than flip it etc.

I would have thought that your friend certainly has at least one tick in the box given his current cars, but whether that's enough...who knows!

If I was in a position to consider buying such a car, I would think twice about encouraging and entering into such practices. At the end of the day, if people didn't play this ridiculous game then none of this nonsense would exist.

I dare say there are people out there who have bought Panamera's and Cayenne's that they never really wanted just to get enough brownie points to qualify for the latest GT or RS car :grin:

I suspect it will be a lot cheaper to pay overs for a nearly new model, than buying half a dozen Panameras a year for the next few years..

Watch carefully as the overs are dropping, and these aren't quite the 'investment' y used to be... imo.

To distil the well known anecdotes and casual conversations on the subject... :

Essentially it is all about not simply being a good customer these days but one of your dealers most profitable ones, and in possession of an excellent relationship with your salesman. People who trade in both their heavily optioned Turbo S and Cayennes every year for new ones and have been doing so forever, that kind of thing. It is also in the dealers interest if the people that they give the slot to aren't expected to keep it for too long and if it is sold that they can expect it to be traded in to that dealership (so they can sell the same car again for overs with little use). Have you noticed how plenty of used examples show up within 6-18 months of launch at OPCs with hilariously low mileages? Those are from the people that they sell them to. :paperbag:

In simple terms though, if you are asking the question after the car has already been publicly revealed then unless you are a major celebrity (or a clickbait social media flavour of the month) you aren't getting one. Before the launch, the dealers know who of their top customers wants one and of those: who is definitely getting one, who might get one if they get enough allocation and who ... isn't.

I've been driving GT3s for so long (over 12 years now - the only time I was without one was the couple of months it took me to buy a replacement for the one that I wrote off on the 'ring) that I used to get sales calls from my OPC when they launched a new one, but now (and yes - I did check the last time I was in there) it isn't even worth my asking the question. Being someone who will keep it, drive it and not flip it will not in itself have any meaningful influence on you getting a build slot. It is all about your relationship with your OPC.

s2000db said:
I suspect it will be a lot cheaper to pay overs for a nearly new model, than buying half a dozen Panameras a year for the next few years..

Watch carefully as the overs are dropping, and these aren't quite the 'investment' y used to be... imo.

Correct, was told about a 'loyal' customer who had spent well into 7 figures at a dealership over a 2-3 year period and was overlooked for a .2 RS.

I may be wrong but I believe there is still no confirmation of a second UK allocation of the RS once the factory opens again.

If he's happy to wait the 'overs' premium should have levelled off a bit come the spring next year, especially if a second allocation comes to the UK with the Weissach package.

Disco hits the nail on the head as I would expect.

If the OP's pal wants a GT3 then just buy one at the market price, its position there is relative to the usual supply vs demand and if Porsche could think straight they would price it there in the first place.

If your friend desperately wants a car but doesn't want to pay the market price then they either cant afford it or aren't desperate enough :)

Markets have an inbuilt way of determining what something is actually worth, list prices on bits of paper are meaningless, the same way you brand new C2 S is 'worth" 20k less as you drive out of the showroom. The market values it as the super car that it probably is so just pay the money , if not buy something else.

Would these conversations even exist if that were the case?

The subtext, intentionally or not, is 'can one buy a car cheaper than what is worth (the market price) . The answer is no, you cant. No ***** sherlock. The only reason that may feel unfair is the expectation of value Porsche creates when they publish their original price list. Thats their only bad.

Unless of course you are a dealer principle's family member or best mate. But of course he isnt else would not be on here asking the question. You should think of that as 'staff sales":)

Another couple of product cycles and all this bollox will have evened itself out and we can get back to normal.

As said above, he literally has no chance.

They are making circa £80k+ over list (plus options) so why would a dealer sell him one (at list), when they can do "a deal" with thier golf chum and splt the profits.

I imagine the premiums will more than half in the next 3 months and half again by the end of the year.

991.2 GT3s are being advertised at £160K+, Yet I know a couple that have sold for mid £140ks...which is only £15k above list.

Disco said:
To distil the well known anecdotes and casual conversations on the subject... :

Essentially it is all about not simply being a good customer these days but one of your dealers most profitable ones, and in possession of an excellent relationship with your salesman. People who trade in both their heavily optioned Turbo S and Cayennes every year for new ones and have been doing so forever, that kind of thing. It is also in the dealers interest if the people that they give the slot to aren't expected to keep it for too long and if it is sold that they can expect it to be traded in to that dealership (so they can sell the same car again for overs with little use). Have you noticed how plenty of used examples show up within 6-18 months of launch at OPCs with hilariously low mileages? Those are from the people that they sell them to. :paperbag:

In simple terms though, if you are asking the question after the car has already been publicly revealed then unless you are a major celebrity (or a clickbait social media flavour of the month) you aren't getting one. Before the launch, the dealers know who of their top customers wants one and of those: who is definitely getting one, who might get one if they get enough allocation and who ... isn't.

I've been driving GT3s for so long (over 12 years now - the only time I was without one was the couple of months it took me to buy a replacement for the one that I wrote off on the 'ring) that I used to get sales calls from my OPC when they launched a new one, but now (and yes - I did check the last time I was in there) it isn't even worth my asking the question. Being someone who will keep it, drive it and not flip it will not in itself have any meaningful influence on you getting a build slot. It is all about your relationship with your OPC.

100% with Disco on this ....

I was offered ( by Local OPC ) the Gen 1 GT3 ( Engine fire model ) prior to launch ) as a good GT3 customer, but the offer price was a disgrace, so after I gave the salesman a polite Foxtrot Oscar, I didn't get any further offers.....
TBH , the OPC I deal with now have been pretty good but despite my buying history, I have been advised that I would ' probably be right up there with a chance ' I don't seem to get an offer.....................I suspect because I wouldn't sell back in a year as Disco said above....
I'm not holding my breath ...

High end watch dealers seem to do quiet well with GT3 allocations :hand:

Bob, you say your friend has a 991 Turbo and Cayenne but did he buy them from the same OPC, that's a start..

There is also a footnote to consider to add to my earlier comment : anybody who gets a normal allocation for one of these cars will as a point of definition be losing an enormous amount in depreciation on the other Porsches that they buy - certainly more than they will make back by flipping the halo car.

The comment that s2000db made genuinely is valid - paying the overs is almost certainly cheaper than being the guy who gets a build slot. It may feel unfair, but actually: think about how much some of those guys burn when they throw the entire options list at Cayennes, Pan Ams and Turbos. Much as I like to rant about the situation on a regular basis, why it happens is completely understandable and the people with the genuine reason to be aggrieved are those on the proverbial list who miss out only because a handful more cars were not allocated to the UK.

The thing that antagonises me on the subject is when you get Porsche social media advertising asking how you would spec one when they won't actually sell you one, reviewers failing to point out that that they are already sold out and indeed the configurator too (they do say Limited Availability, but even that is disingenuous as far as I am concerned - it really ought to say Sold Out).

Disco said:
There is also a footnote to consider to add to my earlier comment : anybody who gets a normal allocation for one of these cars will as a point of definition be losing an enormous amount in depreciation on the other Porsches that they buy - certainly more than they will make back by flipping the halo car.

The comment that s2000db made genuinely is valid - paying the overs is almost certainly cheaper than being the guy who gets a build slot. It may feel unfair, but actually: think about how much some of those guys burn when they throw the entire options list at Cayennes, Pan Ams and Turbos. Much as I like to rant about the situation on a regular basis, why it happens is completely understandable and the people with the genuine reason to be aggrieved are those on the proverbial list who miss out only because a handful more cars were not allocated to the UK.

The thing that antagonises me on the subject is when you get Porsche social media advertising asking how you would spec one when they won't actually sell you one, reviewers failing to point out that that they are already sold out and indeed the configurator too (they do say Limited Availability, but even that is disingenuous as far as I am concerned - it really ought to say Sold Out).

Absolutely right, and tbh at above £200K there's better cars available that you dont have to sell your soul to obtain... imo..

I would've loved to have bought a new GT3/RS, but I refuse to pay overs, so I went Italian, and Porsche have lost a long term customer..

s2000db said:
Absolutely right, and tbh at above £200K there's better cars available that you dont have to sell your soul to obtain... imo..

I would've loved to have bought a new GT3/RS, but I refuse to pay overs, so I went Italian, and Porsche have lost a long term customer..

How is the performante going? I loved the scream from the one I drove on track...gutted I found it's designed for different shape people to me :sad:

I've come to the same conclusion despite really liking GT3/RS. I will move to another marque next. Watching OPCs take thier supposed best customers in this way and the drag though on others is just unpalatable. for now I'm making other plans.

OP your mate might want to wait a little for the market to drop if he considers a second hand one at overs. There is a lot of supply, we are getting close to the quieter months for sales and there might just be a few needing to get out quickly soon. That adds up to potential for lower prices as others in this thread have said.

G2 said:
s2000db said:

How is the performante going? I loved the scream from the one I drove on track...gutted I found it's designed for different shape people to me :sad:

I've come to the same conclusion despite really liking GT3/RS. I will move to another marque next. Watching OPCs take thier supposed best customers in this way and the drag though on others is just unpalatable. for now I'm making other plans.

OP your mate might want to wait a little for the market to drop if he considers a second hand one at overs. There is a lot of supply, we are getting close to the quieter months for sales and there might just be a few needing to get out quickly soon. That adds up to potential for lower prices as others in this thread have said.

It's absolutely bonkers, and a total event to drive, loving every minute!
Tbh, I wouldn't have bought one with carbon bucket seats, as they were extremely uncomfortable for me, but the std sport seats are just perfect with loads of adjustment :thumb:

...."Does anyone know the secret of getting an allocation? "

It's easy, just make sure you're one of your OPC's best customers :coat:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back