Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window & alarm problem

WudStar

I have a 2007 C4S (997.1) US model, imported to France. For months I have been having a problem locking the car, with remote or using the lock switch in the car.

The horn double beeps each time I attempt to lock. That means that the alarm system has detected a fault (some switch somewhere is open or not reacting) and the alarm is not activated, nor will the car lock.

Oddly, after the double beep, the passenger window will lower slightly, about 3 mm, and remain there until the car is started, upon which it recloses completely. This is not the auto-lower upon door opening - that works fine, lowers/raises by 12mm or so. Only the passenger window does that, driver's side does not.

I am wondering if the alarm fault is linked to either the passenger door control module or the door lock itself.

Also, when I lock using the key, the passenger's door remains unlocked. Additionally, when the driver's door is locked, pulling on the exterior door handle will lower the driver's window as is the door is receiving an open door signal and lowers the driver's window by 12mm.

Have tried resyncing keys, changed driver's door lock module (same problems). I don't have a PIWIS and I'd like to avoid going to the dealer - so your ideas are very welcome. Thanks!

Good link, thanks pzero! (And I thought I had read them all - silly me!)

I have been suspecting the passenger's door lock, just getting up the courage to remove the interior door cover (and those infernal clips - luckily I have a bag of ten spares for the ones I break, inevitably) and have a look around.

From all the threads I have read, including the one you linked, an interrogation by PIWIS (or a suitable alternative) is the first step to finding the source of the problem efficiently. I think a trip to my local dealership is looking more and more unavoidable.

Will let you all know what happens with a follow up post.

Thanks for any further suggestions, too! :)

A reputable independent may offer a more cost effective option for you than the OPC route. What part of the world do you hail from? Plenty of really decent outfits around the country.

I am in Toulouse, FR.

I have an excellent mechanic, an independent who is truly a mechanic and not just a parts exchanger. He spent many years at Lexus/Toyota, Citroen, and eventually a short stint at Porsche Toulouse before getting disgusted enough to have a go on his own.

He doesn't have a PIWIS however, but he does have a version of Autocom running on a laptop. It is pretty close to a PIWIS, but not exactly the same. And I think that is part of the problem - the 997 has pretty complicated code for a car (from what I gather), and I wonder if the Autocom is up to the task.

All that being said, I have 100% confidence that he will source the problem. I am vainly trying to solicit other opinions/ideas in the hopes of perhaps finding a potential avenue to explore and thus looking smart to him! :)

Hopefully he'll ring me up today with an idea. Will let you know!

Good luck with it, sounds like you are in good hands. :thumb:

OK, it has been a while but I can assure you that my mechanic and I have been diligently searching for a solution! And we have it!

To remind you, my 2007 997 C4S (USA version) was not locking with the remote key fobs. Double beep each time I tried to lock it. But it would lock and arm the alarm with the key inserted in the door.

There were two problems:

1. Left side door module lost its programming, somehow, or failed somewhere on the board. Weird, I know... Unfortunately, you have to buy the module and window motor as a set. OK, did that. Reprogramming the module is required, but the Durametric Pro he had will not allow the module to be reprogrammed. You can read the module, but not inject/save code on it. So he unsoldered three chips from the old board, soldered one of them on the new board (didn't have the right size EEPROM adapter for his reader/burner), and copied the programming from the two others using his own EEPROM reader, and then re-soldered the two new chips with the old programming onto the new module.

2. Left side door lock failed - there are several microswitches inside, and the one that senses if the motor shaft has advanced or returned was making poor contact. There is a plastic cam on a shaft that makes contact with this particular microswitch. We jiggled it a bit, and ensured that the cam was making good and repeated contact with the switch. Something I'll have to keep an eye on.

And then boom! Pressing the key fob locks the car, arms the alarm - just like new!

My mechanic had the Durametric Pro, so I took advantage and programmed the side marker lights to sync with the turn signals, and the windows to open/close with a long press of the remote key fob.

Very long process to troubleshoot, unfortunately. The fault codes are not at all intuitive, and we pursued many wasteful paths before finally finding a relatively simple, basic, and common fault/solution. Lesson learned - check all the basic moving parts.

Best of luck if you are troubleshooting, too - start with the door lock module, is my advice now!!! :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back