Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Flat Battery challenge

LOJO

OK, so I left my dash cam running and it has totally flattened my battery. So the bonnet won't open, but I applied a charger to the red post in the fusebox and earthed on the door hinge. Now, I realised I have been using the door key for 6 months because my remote battery went flat, so how do I open the hood? (seems the normal floor-mounted hood button does not operate under these circumstances. Any ideas, please?

Thanks for that awesome thread, Alex. I did find an article by Phil Raby that got me there, truth is, it didn't work for me....
I pulled the red post, attached the power and clicked the button. Nothing. Tried every variant I could think of, but no luck. Seeing your article above, the one thing I didn't realise was to leave the key in the door....
So I figured this is why we have the AA - took an hour to arrive, removed both front wheelarch liners, evenntually found the cable on the RHS, and that was the key!
A really crap system, as someone said in the article you posted, can't believe that Porsche didn't change it for the 997, I certainly hope the 991 has some fundamental changes.

BTW, has anyone thought of attaching a second cable, and putting it through the wheel arch liner? (although it is a really tough pull, as it stands!)

Yes, a length of fine brazing rod connected to the cable loop end and then through a small hole in the wheel arch liner, bend over the end to stop it working its way back through the hole and you're done. Worth making sure the original cable can move freely and won't catch on anything as you pull it.
I'm hoping this may save a lot of hassle at some future date!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back