Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange bits in oil filter

Gottans said:
Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but if this was the chain guide I would expect to see much smaller bits of plastic i.e. the guide was ground away by the chain or large bit where it has broken

As the bits found in the oil are brown in colour, thin in section it makes me think of a plastic ball bearing carrier inside a bearing.

Just my thoughts and I hope I am wrong but could it be the very early signs of an IMS failure?
the pieces would be much thinner than a bearing carrier which I would say are made from a nylon type material. This is more like flakes of varnish.

I try very hard not to re comment on what people say on posts , we all have our own opinion and the OP is left to decide ..

Can i just say though .. the particles are bits of a chain guide .

If the chain is slack it could in theory start to break up the guides .. i dont think this is the case , i think its more age related but i would like the OP to visit an Indy / OPC and have them check the tensioners .

If all nice and tight then fine .. ill ***** off .. but a check is worth while imho .

Chuckmiester said:
Any idea of the labour time or cost to do the job at an indie? 😒

Ok, so how much to take the engine out and fix the tensioners?

deMort said:
I try very hard not to re comment on what people say on posts , we all have our own opinion and the OP is left to decide ..

Can i just say though .. the particles are bits of a chain guide .

If the chain is slack it could in theory start to break up the guides .. i dont think this is the case , i think its more age related but i would like the OP to visit an Indy / OPC and have them check the tensioners .

If all nice and tight then fine .. ill ***** off .. but a check is worth while imho .
:thumb:

Just to make a point regarding the bearing and chain guide, I dug both out from my bit's box, the bearing is just all metal with a cage for the balls and the guide as you can see goes dark once oil stains it, the one shown is not particularly dark as it was fairly low mileage, they do get very dark if quite old though

43742774632_1431a8b964_z.jpg

jwb1380 said:
Chuckmiester said:
Any idea of the labour time or cost to do the job at an indie? 😒

Ok, so how much to take the engine out and fix the tensioners?

R & R engine manual and its about 8 hours with Tip being about 12 .

A full engine strip is in the region of 35 hours .. but this would be both heads off to change the chain guides so less .. at a guess 25 hours total plus parts .. inc R&R.

To remove and look at the tensioners .. well if only the base ones then 1 hour .. i would look at them and also how much pressure there was on the chain guides with the tensioners .. i may even try and get a borescope in there while i was at it .

For the top / bank 2 tensioner ( which never seems to be a problem ) then at least another hour .. its not as easy to get at .

But to be fair .. i fix them not price them im afraid .

I had all the tensioners on my engine swapped out - took advantage of the engine having to come out for the AOS to do it the last one.

Did the clutch, flipped the seal off the IMSB, everything that I could think of that took advantage of the engine being outside the car.

The bill was just over five grand IIRC, all in.

Are the cam chain tensioners hydrolic? The car was stood for about 6 months this year. Then when I started it it did sound very rattly for a few minutes. I wonder if this has knocked the bits of the chain guides.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back