Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Urgent help needed please -loosing power

So I'm at the Nurbrgring at the moment and my 996 tip is loosing power half way through my second lap.

It's quite hot here and I've not had the car long. I've not had any issues on the road before and I haven't taken it on track either

It's fine when the car is cool and the only thing I have done differently is put 102 octane fuel in - that may possibly have something to do with it

There are no fault codes coming up, or lights on the dash and after a bit of a cool down, it seems ok again.

Could the gearbox temp cause the engine to pull timing?

Thanks in advance
Adam

Timing is effected by knock sensors .. the car doesnt react to gearbox temp that im aware of ..

No fault codes and a lack of power at high rpm normally indicates a fuel pressure problem .. fuel pump in other words is not delivering the amount of fuel needed .

The car cant monitor fuel pressure .. hence no codes where as most other systems will give you a code if theres a fault .

It is possible you have a fault with the tip box though .. slippage perhaps .. unusual but i dont have many ideas for you im afraid .

Thanks, I'll try using all the 102 and brim it with 98 and see what happens, although I would have thought 102 is less likely to detonate compared to 98

My two cents on this would be the gearbox and then the fuel pump also. You're not going to be getting knock from the fuel unless the fuel is badly contaminated, and that would have been discovered already at the Nurburgring.

If you were getting the engine check light on then I would be looking for mixture issues casued by air leaks or a faulty maf sensor or lamdas, but you're not.

Thanks Infrasilver, if it's the same today, I'll pick some plugs up and have a go at changing them

That was the first thing I did wasz, i used delphi and my laptop - no faults

Changed the plugs today, which was a bit of a PITA in the heat with a warm engine on the hotel car park

Went and did a couple of laps and still the same, no power after half a lap

Gutted as I'm at Spa tomorrow so I'll have to take it easy
I'll probably book it in to be looked at when I get back

Thanks for your help

Adam

There's good indy at the La Source entrance to Spa.
Dont have their name to hand but have a google.
They had a look at my car for me when it broke down last year.
Might be something they could fix easily?

Good Luck.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back