Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SSK gear linkage issues

Hizza

Monza
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this....

I had RPM Technik fit a SSK to my 2006 C2 a few weeks ago. Not long after, the gear selector cable snapped and so I had it recovered to OPC Towcester. They fitted new cables and I picked the car up on Thursday. On my way back from the Silverstone Classic yesterday the cable snapped again and I was stuck in gear. Fortunately this was right outside OPC and they were still open so I've left the car with them. I'm no mechanic but assume the SSK is putting extra tension on the cable and something needs to be adjusted. Any thoughts? Getting stuck in second gear twice in two months is pretty tiresome, not to mention rather scary. The diagnosis, parts and labour with OPC were £380 but I'm still stuck with a car going nowhere...... Cheers! :nooo:

Is it an aftermarket shifter? If so this happened to me when I fitted a SSK to my old car and I think it was down to not being able to lock the shifter shick in place with the green tool Porsche can supply as they don't fit round the aftermarket SSK, meaning that the cables we're not adjusted exactly. When I replaced my cables I also got one of the tools but modified it by cutting out enough of it so that it could hold the aftermarket shifter, I also taped it to the tool so it didn't move while I adjusted the cables. Once I had done this I found that the shift was less notchy and my cable were fine for the next three years I had the car and once I had a new clutch if felt like butter and not notchy at all.

If I were you would be speaking to RPM especially as they bill seems to be coming out of your pocket.

Is cable broken of disengaged from shifter? Std cable or upgraded version of cable installed?

When a bit worn due to previous disengagement (or poor installed) they can snap loose from at the "ribbed" connection into shifter as you can see below.

Better get the nummeric racing performance shifter cables. These will never get loose no matter how hard you pull your shifter when cold.....

The below link nummeric racing cables and on D911 you can find similar from DesignTec

https://numericracing.com/store/cables-996997/

Attachments

• capture_173.png
    capture_173.png
    806 KB · Views: 1,921
rob001 said:
Is cable broken of disengaged from shifter? Std cable or upgraded version of cable installed?

When a bit worn due to previous disengagement (or poor installed) they can snap loose from at the "ribbed" connection into shifter as you can see below.

Better get the nummeric racing performance shifter cables. These will never get loose no matter how hard you pull your shifter when cold.....

The below link nummeric racing cables and on D911 you can find similar from DesignTec

https://numericracing.com/store/cables-996997/

Rob , I have looked at these several times but heard this type of cable adds some NVH how have you found them

Thefinn said:
Is it an aftermarket shifter? If so this happened to me when I fitted a SSK to my old car and I think it was down to not being able to lock the shifter shick in place with the green tool Porsche can supply as they don't fit round the aftermarket SSK, meaning that the cables we're not adjusted exactly. When I replaced my cables I also got one of the tools but modified it by cutting out enough of it so that it could hold the aftermarket shifter, I also taped it to the tool so it didn't move while I adjusted the cables. Once I had done this I found that the shift was less notchy and my cable were fine for the next three years I had the car and once I had a new clutch if felt like butter and not notchy at all.

If I were you would be speaking to RPM especially as they bill seems to be coming out of your pocket.

I think your right mate the green tool unless modified wont fit round the aftermaket SSK to get the cables to fit correctly .

Phil 997 said:
Rob , I have looked at these several times but heard this type of cable adds some NVH how have you found them

Phil - Haven't tried these but as long as you know were the noise is coming from no issue (for me). The unknown noises....
Anyways I have the OEM SSK with modified bearing using the OEM cables. No alignment issues with that green thing and till now no snapping cables when forcing into 2 when cold in winter. However if it ever will fail, numeric it is.

Thanks for the replies. I've just come back from another day at Silverstone Classic - this time in the Merc. No 997, how sad was I! RPM have confirmed that the SSK is a Porsche part and they've never had this before. The original cable snapped at the oval end (back of car). I'm really hoping that OPC Towcester can sort this as it disconcerting and bl@@dy dangerous to have a cable snap. I'll let you know what OPC say next week. Cheers :dont know:

rob001 said:
Phil 997 said:

Phil - Haven't tried these but as long as you know were the noise is coming from no issue (for me). The unknown noises....
Anyways I have the OEM SSK with modified bearing using the OEM cables. No alignment issues with that green thing and till now no snapping cables when forcing into 2 when cold in winter. However if it ever will fail, numeric it is.

Thats true as a known HVH is much more acceptable that a noise you dont understand where its coming from :thumb:

This is getting interesting! OPC have advised "the technician has had a look at the car, he believes that on the rubber stopper has been fitted backwards when the short shift was fitted and he said it normally locks mechanism together". I've asked them to provide me with photos. What I think is going to happen is that OPC will charge me another £380 to fit another set of cables, but will have to fit the (allegedly incorrectly fitted) rubber stopper correctly. I will then need to pursue RPM, if indeed they did fit the SSK incorrectly, then attempt to claim from them the two OPC charges to correct the alleged fitting errors. although RPM may suggest the original cable snapped through wear and tear and that OPC fitted the cable incorrectly second time around. I can see I'm going to end up between OPC and RPM here with both denying responsibility and me stuck with nearly £1000 of costs. I'll keep you posted, but I don't have a lot of hope. For anyone that has fitted an SSK before - does OPC's explanation sound plausible and should their own technician have spotted RPM's alleged error?

I would defiantly try and get the photo of the rubber stopper as the SSK doesn't have any rubber parts, the only rubber stopper is attached around the cables, this then pushes through a hole in the underside of the car giving a weather seal for the cables running inside as it sits within the hole. Therefore if this was fitted wrong then it must have been OPC when they fitted the new cables.

^^ agree and the only rubber part in cable is the seal. This rubber seal will also keep the cables in firm place (and water out..) In my opinion cable can snap out the SSK shifter only out when:
- Cable ends not proper secured with the rotating clip at shifter
- Poor cable end into shifter alignment (not full into shifter)
- Worn shifter/ cable end parts
- or pulling the gear lever with two hands to get it into 1st or so.

Ask for a picture of the rubber stopper

Attachments

• capture_163.png
    capture_163.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,568
Ok, well latest update... OPC replaced the linkage and didn't charge me, which is good. I then took my car to RPM as they wanted to check it out, and in particular to see if there was a problem at the gear box end. They couldn't find anything problematic and it was helpful to have a second opinion. I've done a hundred miles and no issues, so fingers crossed. I'm still none the wiser but at least I've got my car back! Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Great to have this forum for these things.

Next on my list is to replace the Carrera badge on the back as I snapped the tip of the C, like so many on here, and replacing the stoneguards on the rear arches- I've got the old ones off no problem, now just need to be brave and patient and try to fit the new set. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back