Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ticking time bomb on the left bank?

pietrzj

All my car didn't get much use during the winter and although I didn't notice it right away (so it might not be related to the winter use, particularly as it hasn'tgone away even now), if i listen at the wheel arch while she is running, the left bank definately has a tappet type of ticking noise where the right bank does not. Isvyhe only solution a top end re-build or can I do anything less dramatic?

Jan

pietrzj said:
All my car didn't get much use during the winter and although I didn't notice it right away (so it might not be related to the winter use, particularly as it hasn'tgone away even now), if i listen at the wheel arch while she is running, the left bank definately has a tappet type of ticking noise where the right bank does not. Isvyhe only solution a top end re-build or can I do anything less dramatic?

Jan

Could this just be a sticky hydraulic tappet??
Mine had this after a long winter lay-up
:dont know:

Did it clear after a run?

Hope you get it sorted ..!!

Probably a sticking tappet, should be able to locate it with a stethoscope. Not a horrendous job. A 3.2 had a tick caused by a stretched timing chain, a little more involved.

Used to get really terrible tappet noise for many many minutes after a long time between starts, went down to seconds or nothing at all after changing to a 5w40 oil from 10w40.

Hi,

Yep ticking tappets are perfectly normal after a long layup. When I moved to Spain my car was there while I wound up my affairs in Kuwait for 3 months. When I started her up it rattled like crazy then cleared. Remember these tappets are hydraulic and the oil leaks out of them over time. I would just give it a good run and drive it more often. Don't believe you need a top end rebuild.

ATB :)

Thanks all. I will see if it goes away and if not try see if i can locate it with a stethascope. Reluctant to use thinner oil, but i could try that on the next routine change and then revert to 10w40 as it might just be enough to lube them up again. Driving it does not seem to be clearing it.

Jan

Take it for a decent run, ditch the oil, if it is a road car use 15w50 Fuchs titan race pro R, my car been running it for 6 years, off road for the winter, the oil does not drain off the hydraulic tappets, brilliant oil!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back