Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Deposit down on a 996 gt3 - couple of questions!

Agree with all the comments here. Yes they do feel too upright initially, but bear with them, and as others have said, you'll acclimatise to them.
Under no circumstances would I fit the Comfort armchairs.... it massively dilutes the driving experience, and once you've found the right position for the buckets, they are indeed amongst THE most comfortable buckets you'll sit in.
If you're struggling with the rake on the seat after a few weeks, you could drill the side mounts to allow a bit more rake, or fit the lowered Krey Brause items and drill them (rather than 'ruining" the OE items.

Oh, and congratulations on your purchase !! they're
truly wonderful cars !! :mrgreen:

Those buckets are comfortable. wonderful cars also

Disco said:
ronnie85 said:
no definitely wont, will keep in case I do any track days etc. But this'll be my only car so I think they'll annoy me after a while. Will see!

Give it a try first. I ran a 996 GT3 with buckets as my only car for about 5.5 years (its replacement obviously also has buckets, but it isn't an only car any more) - it is a small adjustment initially but it doesn't take long before I reached the point where I'd choose them over just about anything else. They are also the most comfortable bucket seat that I've ever sat in, and Eurotunnel to Nurburg non-stop is not at all unpleasant. Even my mother is a fan, though being of a certain age she benefits from a bit of help getting in and out of them.

Live with it for a bit, then make a decision later. :thumb:

I did find them comfy but just very upright, maybe I'll try some new mounts as people said. but having said that, there was a gap between the seat and the lower back. I normally have the lumbar sticking right out in the 997 as I find this the most comfortable - love the 997 sports seats, really comfy so think I'll miss them, but being a GT3 obviously worth losing some comfort!

Slippydiff said:
Agree with all the comments here. Yes they do feel too upright initially, but bear with them, and as others have said, you'll acclimatise to them.
Under no circumstances would I fit the Comfort armchairs.... it massively dilutes the driving experience, and once you've found the right position for the buckets, they are indeed amongst THE most comfortable buckets you'll sit in.
If you're struggling with the rake on the seat after a few weeks, you could drill the side mounts to allow a bit more rake, or fit the lowered Krey Brause items and drill them (rather than 'ruining" the OE items.

Cheers i'll take a look at those

mar1b0ro said:
hopeydaze said:
Diggermeister said:
Not tried the sports seats, but I found the standard, electric adjust seats in the 996 turbo are extremely comfortable on long road trips.

Buckets really do suit the GT3 though and IMHO once you are on track, both the standard or sports seats will be poor, plus you sit higher (can cause a lack of headroom with a crash helmet on) and I'd not think you'd be wanting to switch and swap seats - the electric ones are very heavy.
I recommend you try the bucket seats for a few weeks before changing them. There's a technique to get into them easily- I was told it's arse first at a 90degree angle.

really friggin annoying though when you are in a rush and forget that you have bucket seats and you just try and slide into the car like you would with a normal seat and your ass bounces up off the side bolster and smacks your ear/head into the side of the roof....

:lol:

I found the buckets very uncomfortable, I did find a way to modify the seat mounts to tilt backwards but it wasn't very successful

Solved the problem by making new cushions for the seat replacing the existing seat base and rear cushion

Very easy, you can buy high density seat foam online, use spray contact adhesive to stick it together and a hacksaw blade and scissors to shape it. UK Recaro dealer sells black recaro seat fabric and velcro attaches it to the seat :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back