Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

failure of rear MO30 Off side rear shock

NLW73

Albert Park
fairly new shocks (less than 2 years old) and recently got some rattling and clonking at rear.

turns out the assembly that connects the drop link to the strut has failed and rattling around. see the pics attached. It should be stable and fixed not wriggling around.

anyone had this before?

can this be re welded to the shock as looks like the weld has failed.

anyone got any m030 struts around they don't want? its offside/drivers that has gone. springs are fine.

thanks

Attachments

• fail_3_128.jpg
    fail_3_128.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 2,240
  • faile_2_269.jpg
    faile_2_269.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,240
  • fail_1_200.jpg
    fail_1_200.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,240
That looks to me like its a failure of the drop link .. will a new one not fix the problem ?

Is there play in the drop link ball joint ?

I think im missing something here :?:

Edit .. aghhh i see ..

Thats not so good .. its a replacement shock i feel .. welding it back would heat the shock oil .... never attempted it so i cant say to be honest .

Things like this always fail just outside of warrenty .. sods law :(

Never seen it before though .. and ive seen a few .

I thought in the law a product should work for a 'reasonable period of time'. That is not reasonable IMO so I would find the relevant rules and write a polite letter. Only takes half an hour.

MC

That's why I discounted M030 stuff for my refresh.
I've heard of several issues. My mate has a set on his that are about 20k old and the damper has failed. Can't remember the details but something to do with the actual rod.

They're an ok cheap replacement option, but that's all.

As MC says, all you can do is ask and take it from there. Good luck getting sorted.

thanks chaps for your input

yeah was not expecting that with the age of the shocks and the mileage.

Demort as you say its sods law it happens after 12 months.

you are right in that you cannot spot weld the drop link carrier to the shock as they are gas filled and it will just blow.

replacement shock or shocks it is.

might have someone to the rescue with some used MO30 shocks which is a right result.

DC

2015 consumer rights act:

Goods must be of reasonable quality, fit for purpose, and last a reasonable length of time.

This can be tested in small claims court - but in principle, if ypu pay £100 for a non brand TV and ot only lasts two years you got what you paid for. If you spend £500 on a brand TV then you would get a replacement.

Goods must be of reasonable quality, fit for purpose, and last a reasonable length of time.

This can be tested in small claims court - but in principle, if ypu pay £100 for a non brand TV and ot only lasts two years you got what you paid for. If you spend £500 on a brand TV then you would get a replacement.

I'd have happily sent you mine for free but I had to butcher them to get them stripped. They had 74k on anyway.

I'm sure one of the usual breakers will have a used one. Try Jasmine, Douglas Valley breakers etc.

DVB used to be on my "not with a barge pole" list years ago, but I've had some great deals off him these last couple of years.

Just to be on the safe side .. the anti roll bar is standard isnt it ?

im wondering why this has failed .. i had a look at one today .. god knows ive seen many of them but im struggleing to see what caused this to happen .

Stiff roll bar or incorrect length drop links which i cant see is all i can come up with.

My theory is if it happened once ... so if possible a cause would be nice to find .

paulstevens64 said:

This was EU legislation. No matter what the "warranty" or "guarantee" says, goods should last a "reasonable" period of time.

What did the EU ever do for us.

standard ARB and recently replaced too by looks of it. its all standard stuff in there apart from powerflex gearbox mount.

I did put some 964/993 RS engine mounts in but this should not affect

going to dig out paperwork when home to see who bought them and from where. maybe some good will.

just unlucky with the spot welding on the shocks for the drop link bracket

martinRSR to the rescue with some used mo30 shocks. top man!

Before I boxed mine up for NWL, I swear i saw that joint was MIG welded all the way around on mine, rather than just in one or two individual places as per the photos in this thread. I suspect the manufacturing fault is that these were tacked in place and then they forgot to do the final weld.

two tacks is clearly not enough

the guys at the garage have managed to put a lot more welds around the bracket and do the repair so see how it holds. going to do the other shock as well with some more welds

was worried the welding would over heat and blow the shock but seems to be ok which is a result. pics to follow.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back