Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

gear linkage cables

Thomp1983

well today just keeps giving in the bodge stakes, My aim for the day was to fit my 997 gear shifter, I've whipped the centre console out and found this

5lRQ1gd.jpg

the plastic collar that holds the gear change cable to the shifter unit has snapped and someone has bodged it together with some screws and jubilee clips, are the plastic parts available separately or am I now in for a new gear change cable before I can fit my new shifter?

chris

That's one hell of a bodge I am surprised it's lasted.

I am pretty sure you can only buy the whole cable assembly apart from uprated final attachments I.e. not the plastic parts. OPC is the best place to buy I bought a set a few years back and I am sure they were about £120/130. If you do, buy the plastic tool to lock the shifter handle in place as well this is about £3.

thanks for the response, the plastic tool to lock the shifter are now about £10 i've got 2, the 996 one and the 997 one.

was the £130 for both cables or a single cable?

thanks
chris

That was for both of them as they come as a set mounted in a new rubber bung. There not that hard to change you just need a bit of lube to help the bung slip through hole in the base of the car.

If you are lucky there might be someone who has the plastic parts on here as snapped cables are a common failure so they could have scrap set in their garage they could send you the plastic parts off. Although I am not sure what damage those screws have done so you might just want a new set for piece of mind.

I replaced mine with new from an OPC due to corrosion at the gearbox end of both cables. There were no seperate parts available and the cables are not available seperately.

If you want to get new(well new to you at least) plastic parts to try to rebuild it then you could try a for a second hand set and dismantle it to get what you need. But knowing what I do now about mine, I would go for a new set.

Nice easy job though. I have my old ones still as I changed them thinking they were the reason for not being able to get in gear. Turned out the cheap short shifter had seized in position so the old ones were ok. Send me a message if they are any use.

thought I'd update this for anyone looking in the future. I bought stoo's 3.6 cables and when fitting them today found out the ends that attach at the gearbox are different to the ones on my 3.4 turns out this is because I have a lsd gearbox which is a bonus albeit it's probably worn beyond effectiveness by now.

I managed to make the 3.6 ends fit my gearbox and they've solved the issue shifting into second I was having which was being caused by the bodge in the original post I made.

Ironically there's a new old stock set of the correct cables just turned up for reasonable money, I rang OPC Nottingham and they wanted £270 for a new pair.

I have an issue getting the car into first sometimes. When I removed the rear underbody panel recently for an underbody clean up, I found that the cables are held in place on to the gearbox linkage with cable ties...

It seems my car had work performed on it by the same mechanic as yours...

I had put my first gear selection difficulty down to wear and tear, but I'm beginning to wonder now...

Also apart from the bodgit and scarper DiY fixes several of you have to your cables ,do consider new engine mounts as that will improve your gear selection hugely and if they are original mounts after 15 or so year of engine hanging off them probably improve the drive as well :thumb: :thumb:

I went with rs mounts and poly gearbox insert when I first got the car so knew it wasn't my issue. I've just purchased the nos LSD cables on eBay so will be repeating this job again at some point in the near future

Ghianightmare, cable ties are often used to prevent the ball joints at the gearbox end of the cable from falling off as the Porsche solution is vulnerable to that. Those cable ties aren't a bodge, they are there to stop the car from leaving you stranded.

Ah OK :thumb:

Thanks for that. I take a closer look.

I'll spend the money on engine mounts instead :D

When mine was in for service at GCR central I asked them to look at the tie wraps on the gear linkage for anything untoward / bodged. Chris said it was quite common and not to worry!

Ian

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back