Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LA Power Bluetooth Installed

stewhp

B0_FBC2_D4_EDB3_4_E9_C_98_AD_8_DCBA03_F5_D9_B.jpg

I have looked at various options to be able to get Bluetooth telephone connectivity and music streaming in my car while still retaining the old PCM2.

I know lots of people have updated to newer double din units but I didn't want to spend that amount of cash and also wanted to retain the original PCM.

I bought one of these LA Power Bluetooth boxes off Ebay as for £115.00 it was worth a try and would hopefully be an easy fit.

I already had a CD Changer and fitting the BT box was just a matter of disconnecting the fibre connection at the CD Changer and plugging it into the BT Box and then splicing a power supply from the changer power supply already there.

I then tested the unit and paired my phone which connected immediately and then started to stream music and the playback quality sounded excellent. I then tested the phone which also went equally well.

It got dark a bit too soon so didn't have time to finish installing the mic tonight but so far so good and just need to tidy up the wiring under the front boot and then Velcro the unit in place.

I don't plan on running the aux connection as wouldn't use it but do plan on running a USB extension into the cabin so I can either use a flash drive or charge my phone.

I will upload some pics once I get it all finished.

74_F8076_E_17_F9_440_D_A40_C_33_E1_BE3_A98_DF.jpg

Screen now shows phone connected and BT Track info.

Hopefully finish it off later this week and then give a good test.

:thumb:

Glad that's working out for you, my dash still in pieces waiting for me to have spare half hour to put everything back together!

Where are you going to put the mic?

If the sound is not good enough on a call you might need a higher sensitivity mic, I played around with a few different ones on a similar previous install and the supplied mic with my kit was not up to much

I've not decided on the mic location yet.
The wire has been run into the cabin and is long enough to stretch to top of side pillar but I may put it into the dash console in place of the OEM mic.

I've only done a test cal to the Mrs with the car stationary and engine off and she said she could hear me really well with the mic just sitting on top of the dash. I'll see how it behaves when the car is moving.

I was reading the thread on Rennlist and there was a couple of comments about the mic having a bit of echo.

Early days yet and need to mess about a bit once I get it all finished.

when I asked the question before a few guys said they chucked it in the oem location and it was fine, certainly saves routing cable.

installed but no phone!

Hi
I just installed this system, I have a 2007 C2S, non bose, no cd changer and no phone, quite basic I guess, no navi but the PCM unit. I know I need to get it programmed for the streaming to work, but I was hopeful that the phone might work.

Nothing though, when i press the phone button the message 'no internal telephone' comes up. The phone is paired ok.

Did you have a working phone before?

As I did not have the cd changer I unplugged the fibre and connected the unit direct to the PCM. I noted that there was light coming out of the fibre that goes to in to the bluetooth unit but no light coming out of the bluetooth unit itself? Any ideas?

Hi,

I didn't have a working phone before installing the BT unit. But the phone works now.

If you didn't have a CD changer before you will probably need to have this enabled to get the BT unit to work.

Do you have any connection errors showing on the PCM now?

I just bought one - will post back with findings once I get 5 minutes to install it!

bluetooth link

Here is the one I purchased, it is MR12Volt https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263791903180?ul_noapp=true

I don't have any errors on the PCM however still not working. I may try to splice it into the most ring rather than disconnect the existing, however as its non Bose and no navigation I think the existing connector is just for CD change preparation, would anyone know?

Re: bluetooth link

frenchtony said:
Here is the one I purchased, it is MR12Volt https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263791903180?ul_noapp=true

I don't have any errors on the PCM however still not working. I may try to splice it into the most ring rather than disconnect the existing, however as its non Bose and no navigation I think the existing connector is just for CD change preparation, would anyone know?

You will need to go see a dealer and get them to enable the CD changer on the PCM.

These units take the place of the CD changer.

where do the MOST fibres go on a 997 without Bose?

Still trying to get the phone working on my LA power installation. I am scheduled to get the CD changer enabled this week. But I do not get why the phone doesn't work. The supplier suggested I set up the fibres in a loop, although I have no cd changer. I tried this with no change. Incidentally I did discover the if you get the fibre connection wrong the unit will not start bluetooth, quite a good check. I've looked in the frunk for the other end of the fibres but that are not there, I've looked under the seats but nothing there either! I know I have the main amp (non bose) in the frunk behind the toolkit so where do the fibres that are connected to the PCM go?? Really curious now

Finally!

Got around installing this today.

Man alive! It's better than I'd ever have hope for!
Perfect sound, instant pairing and re-pairing, PCM2 controls bluetooth audio perfectly - skip track, back track etc.
Display shows everything - phone name, signal strength, lists track names - just great!

Even the phone buttons work! Answer a call with the PCM button, end it too!

I'm really impressed :thumbs:

Installation was very simple - removed CD changer, plugged optical cable that was plugged into it straight into the new unit. Took permanent feed straight from the CD changer power cables - easy peasy. Mounted the new unit on the CD changer bracket.

I opted to install the mic in the OEM position in the dash, which meant the instrument binnacle had to come off and I needed to remove the clocks from the dash top to thread the mic wire down. Straightforward and I took my time.

Brought the mic wire through the bulkhead grommet above the clutch pedal and again through the grommet into the luggage compartment to the unit.

Great bit of kit so far and the car looks absolutely stock. Perfect :thumb:

Now all I need to figure out is why my n/s speaker starts 'farting' and popping after about ten minutes of bass heavy music (Teenage son and rap music). It's fine again when I come back to it after a break - strong bass and great sound but after a while it goes again. Reckon it's a problem with the M490 amp, any ideas? :dont know:

:thumbs:

Hi Stewhp

Do you have a link to which one you bought please? (presume with your car you had Bose + Fibre)?

Hey guys,

Car has pcm 2.1 (997) cd changer and bose no sat nav from factory.

If I order the ebay LApower kit is it really as simple as:

1. Remove trim in frunk
2. Disconnect cd changer fibre optic cable plug in the la power unit
3. Tap the power feed from the changer for the lapower unit
4. refit trim

5. rejoice?

Power supply

Hi all, I wonder if any of you can help me please. I have purchased this kit and have fitted it all but the power supply. I am probably being stupid but I thought the idea was to connect it up to the 12v supply in the passenger footwell. How do you do this? If anyone could supply detailed instructions that would be great!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back