Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

When we paint bike frames that have been powder coated we have to use 2K paint/lacquer or it doesn't work.

Car is looking great, have you resolved your leaking nipples?

Morning lads.

Cheers MC, yes it must be something to do with going onto the powder-coating. I didn't scotch-brite it or anything to give it a key either. I chanced going straight on. Luckily it came off ok and they've polished up fine.

Hi Neil, no I haven't sorted the leaky nipples yet. We only got everything finished on Saturday and noticed the problem on Sunday.
The car had to be back at the bodyshop on Monday so I've had to stick the old ones back in, They're covered in red powder-coat as i used them to protect the threads during the shot blasting and coating.
Not fun swapping them over with a full system. Fluid everywhere.
I'm going to try new stainless one and if it leaks, which I expect it will, I'll just buy a full set of genuine Brembo ones.
Sometimes I do wonder whether to bother with these gimmicks, as a lot of the time they turn out to cause more problems than they solve.

Hi Coulstar. Thanks, its nice making things tidy again but there are always issues aren't there. I've dropped a clanger with my timing so summer is half gone. Other things going on in life though so c'est la vie an' all that. :D

Morning HSC, thanks for the comments, as ever. I hope you're enjoying your car in the nice weather. :thumb:

So a couple of boring items then I'll just post a load of 'after" pics.

My screen wash bottle had been leaking since I bought the car. The dash warning light was always on.
So I removed the old bottle. Stain visible around pump area.

Bought a good used one. Shock horror it's black not white, so not factory spec. :grin:

Fitted -

Brake pipes. Loads of mine were seized so we ended up making a few new sections and also made 4 new short rigid sections that run from the flexi to the caliper.

Rear -

I gave the hubs a coat of silver paint, then fitted the brake pipe brackets with new bolts etc -

A few of the rest -

Starting to look like a car again... sort of -

Rear arch liners cleaned and refitted -

Fronts built up with all new fixings, flaps, etc. -

Fronts. Notice the old bleed nipples back in to spoil things.

Rear -

So that's that then? Well, kind of. The suspension is now tip top functionality wise, however I'd really like to get all the components and sub-frames mint again, Mister Corn style. That's a big undertaking though so it will have to wait a year or two.

Next is get it aligned and see where we are with the front camber.

As ever, huge thanks to Craig. I couldn't have done it without him. He knows the suspension like the back of his hand, having done all this to his, more than once. :thumb:

Next stop, bodywork. Thanks for reading. :thumbs:

I take my hat off to you....the range of the work and the attention is astonishing. Brilliant thread.

Thanks for the comments Alfa.

Yes it's quite satisfying once it's done. Lots of trouble along the way mind and a few "why do I bother" moments, but hey, that's old cars eh. :thumb:

Can be amazingly satisfying- whenever I get in the car and see the wheel perfectly framing the dials it puts a smile on my face, for example.

For me one of the biggest factors is that you have something wholly your own.

Coming from a vastly different "old car" movement, one that revers originality above all, I am both amazed and impressed by the divergent attitudes and thoughts which go into the preparation of the cars. Its brilliant and why I didn't do this beforehand I can't think.

Stuart

I just refreshed my front end suspension. I moved but did not disconnect the calipers.
I fitted the bigredd Titanium nipples. The seat angles look the same as the old ones but i noticed a rim of corrosion lateral to the seat, on the old nipples.

The bigredd ones leaked at normal torque , so i loosened and tightened them a few times and now they are dry.

My theory is that there is some corrosion on the outside edge of the calliper seat that prevents the centre of the nipple seat sealing. I guess that i crushed the corrosion down to make a good seal in the centre..??

Guy

Excuse the late reply. Busy weekend.

Dammit - Evening Neil, yep your view to your clocks is a great example of seeing a project through. :thumb:
I'm yet to get my wheel and seats in but I'll have to see how much it bothers me. Probably lots. :wink:
I'm similar to yourself in that if I picture how something should be at the start of a project, I won't stop until it's exactly as I pictured. That can result in a whole heap of hassle mind, as you well know.

Alfa - You're never to old to start. Get tinkering. :thumb:

Wasz - I remember your snowy exploits well. :grin: We can't win I suppose. Brave the winter or lose the summer. I'm lucky to have my garage for over winter but I must sort the lighting for this winter as it's pretty poor.

And yes now is exactly the time to address any early signs of corrosion. It's just little bits of underseal here and there on edges and things that have split and are holding water. Fine if caught now but not if left unchecked.

Guy - Hi, thanks for your post. I think you've pretty much nailed it there as my old nipples had a ring of corrosion around the taper. We've done what you mention already though and tightened them almost to beyond what I'm happy to do in M10 ally threads and they still leaked.

It's time to try the SS ones this weekend but I'm expecting to end up giving up and buying proper Brembo ones.

Not in any way whinging here, as nothing's ever straight forward, but if something can go wrong it'll happen to me or Craig. Houses or cars, the amount of freaky failures or parts not fitting etc is unreal. I could write a book on it. :grin:

But what's the other option, sit on my arse and never bother doing anything. :D
Bloody frustrating though when you spend time and money on an item that you should be able to tick off the list and move on, yet you find yourself revisiting it again and again. :frustrated:

Anyway I'll crack on this weekend and see what happens. Cheers lads. :thumb:

Good progress but still waiting for the money shot i.e. full aerokit.

Hurry up. :lol: :thumb:

Haha, hi mate. I'm so close, yet so far. :frustrated:

I got it back from bodyshop after its final polish at the weekend.
Final refit this weekend then alignment next week.

Little snap shot of how it sits now. :thumb:
This was actually taken last week when it was covered in 2 months worth of dust. Rear lights and engine lid were being adjusted hence poor fit.

Sold my Dansk boxes as Craig had these at his so I tried them when we had the car stripped and I prefer the sound. Craig hates the round tailpipes as they don't fit the oval bumper cut outs. I don't mind them.
I get the feeling we'll always be sampling new exhausts though so I'm sure they won't be forever. :wink:

I ran these on my GT3 for a while years ago. They're in pic on page 1.

Thought I'd do a little update on the car. I'll do a full bodywork post when I can.

This week though is all about alignment, with the car being back on the road.
The car drives horribly after all the work. I can feel the 4 corners pulling against each other etc.
So on Monday I headed down to the alignment place I use. It used to be great but Kwikfit have taken it over and they've ruined it. Well, it's actually the prat of a manager who has ruined it. He just doesn't want to do anything. You know these people that seem so put out and unhappy in their job, you feel like saying "If it makes you this miserable do something else".
Craig went last week and warned me about the guys attitude. I'd obviously have usually went elsewhere after hearing this, but I have the remainder of a two year deal to use up so the next alignment is free.
Anyway I headed down and the guy was every bit of a pain as I thought. He was bad enough on the phone before I went.
He faffed about for a bit and then told me the rear tow adjusters are seized.
They are one of the few items I haven't renewed or had off so fair do's.
So my Indy has squeezed me in this Saturday to renew the toe adjusters and bolts as I've had enough crawling around on the garage floor for now. :wink:

I'm booked in at a different branch of Kwik fit on Monday where the lads couldn't be more helpful. I just need a decent setup until I go to CG next spring.

After that it's off to my detailers for a full exterior detail and maybe ceramic coating.
The car did go back to the bodyshop for a final polish but it's a typical bodyshop machine polish. Not bad but not perfect in the sunshine. It's gonna be a nightmare to keep it looking nice.

In other news I gave up with those aftermarket bleed nipples on my calipers. More hassle than they're worth.
I've just fitted a set of genuine Brembo ones with the correct profile.
They instantly felt better even just on the first few threads. They nipped up lovely, and are bone dry.
Some things aren't worth the hassle. Lesson learned.

More to follow soon. :thumb:

Looks like it all coming together. Not to sure on the tailpipes to be honest, I like an oval slashcut myself.

Actually contemplating putting some aero bit on my car now. A bit like your mate Craigs with the Mk1 front and Mk2 side skirts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back