Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 to GT4?

Ghost

Estoril
Kicking a few ideas around. Might be time for a change. Has anyone moved from a 993 to a GT4? Would I regret it if I did??? :?: :?: :?:

I went from long time 964 owner to Cayman R to GT4. No regrets with any of the changes. The R and GT4 felt/feel as special as the 964 did.

GT4 has incredible level of grip compared to the previous cars. Although it's fun to drive on the road you will not find out how capable it is until you take it on the track. I wouldn't have bought a GT4 if I only used it on the road. An old 911 or Cayman R are more exploitable (read fun) for the road. On track the GT4 destroys them.

I wanted a convertible so GT4 was not an option for me plus based on my experience with GT3 cars they are more suited to track than road IMHO ie the GTS versions offer an overall better road package.

I would also be slightly wary of what the next GT4 will offer as its likely to be NA (ie not a 718 GT4 which would be turboed) ie impact on current GT4 prices which are still above original list prices. It is likely a new GT4 will be priced high enough to not have an impact on current GT4 models but more an issue that a new NA GT4 would always be more desirable therefore limiting current GT4 perceived values.

I was lucky enough to be able to retain my 993 whilst making the choice of which model to go for but given the choice between the 993 and BGTS I really don;t know which I would sell first. The BGTS was simply meant as a second useable summer hobby car but the longer I own it the more its becoming a keeper.

To me the GT4 would be scratching an itch and the novelty as simply a road car would soon wear off. If your intending to take up track days then it would make much more sense. It would be more logical to me to consider 993 - GTS or spyder :dont know:

Take the profit out of the 993 and move to GT4 as that way the purchase price is not as relevant as someone buying outright.

I'd go for comfort spec like Boxsey as they are more rounded for road and occasional track use. There have been some below list for sale as buyers get wary of multiple owners (as GT cars seem to have in early years as they get flipped for profit) and they are still seen as mileage sensitive if you want to protect your investment.

But then again we're only here once............plus I don't wear rose tinted specs :roll:

I sold a 993 2s to buy.a gt4 club sport .

Very different cars but I love them both .

I was fortunate I still own a 993 or I don't think I would have made the change.

Personally I would go for the buckets they are more comfortable than they look my only complaints is they aren't the easiest to get out of but they seem popular come resale and can't hurt if you track the car.

I am still running mine in as I don't like thrashing a new engine but it's plenty quick enough on the B roads near me the chassis is really great with a bit of camber, it's more stable and chuckable than a 993 even though I had PS10's and a few other bits on mine .

It's plenty quick enough in the real world though having tried a 718s recently probably no quicker if not a bit slower on short sprints as it could use more torque . The engine is far sweeter though no merger unfortunately .

If I had a great condition 993 I would probably hang on to it they are harder to find but the gt4 is a fun car .

Until I can afford a 997rs I will be keeping mine.

Great problem to have which ever decision you make.

PS Very few gt4 have had rear shocks collapse at low miles so worth checking if you do go shopping .

PPS I agree with Jonnt that the 718gt4 could hurt value of the original Andy it does make me slightly nervous but I prefer the shape of the 981 and in time I think it will do ok.

But in my honest opinion it is more special than a gts and it is perfectly useable as a daily . It's fun at reasonable speeds if you can find a few corners.

It's all been said above really but the GT4 is a really special car. It can be driven as a daily, I have been using mine a fair bit even with the carbon buckets (which do take some extraction from!). It's a total pleasure to drive unless you get stuck in very long traffic jams as it does have a heavy clutch. I have not driven an 993 to be able to compare but it's no worse than my old 997 turbo clutch in traffic. It's a very rewarding car to own and drive. Good luck with your decision.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back