Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

M96 Engine Rebuild time

FIXED!!!!!

OK, firstly very very many thanks to all of you that have come up with ideas and suggestions. Some are on this thread, and others have PM'd me with advice and offers of help and equipment. I really appreciate the assistance this forum and its members. I would not have found out my (Simple and embarrassing) error if not for you guys , so thanks.

Demort was entirely correct, I managed to put the Cam sensor plug on the Crank sensor and visa versa. DOH! :nooo:

Demort guessed it, but Infrasliver suggested checking continuity within the engine loom and Harv's logic that it had to be within the engine bay cemented the thought that that was the next check/test. Thank to Thecarfixer for logical suggestions as well.

As Demort has posted above, I put a wire into what I thought was the CPS plug and then checked pins in the large round engine wiring loom connectors 9,10 and 18. Not a sausage.... checked 14 "Buzzz" bingo, that one goes to the Cam Hall sensor. Swap them round and she starts!!!

I've only run her for 15 - 20 seconds. enough to circulate the oil and check for leaks. None found.

A bit nervous starting her. A bit clattery for 2 -3 seconds and then smoothed out. Increased revs to 2000 rpm and held there until switching her off 15 seconds later.

Interestingly, no fuel pump prime on initial start, but switch the ignition only back on a few minutes later and I could hear the fuel pump prime.

Thanks all again. Have to sort out stuff for work, will do the initial running in tomorrow.

Cheers

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Great news and well done. Glad it was something simple in the end.

Great news. :thumb:

I usually run mine for quite a while when first installed after a rebuild, static with the car in the air, this allows me to check everything while the engine gets up to a hot temperature and things expand and to also allow the tappets to run quiet.

Then its time for a drive.

Great news! Glad to hear it goes :)

Don't let it idle for long so that those rings and bores bed in nicely..

Good work! :thumb:

First stage running in just completed. Running sweet as a nut.

Will update further tomorrow.

Great work on this James. Glad you're already piling on the miles. :thumb:

Great thread James, I don't mind getting the spanners out but I am not sure I could complete what you have with your car top work, I am glad it's all sorted and you are back behind the wheel. :thumb:

Many thanks everyone.

Just relieved this chapter is almost over!

Great to feel unrestricted about how I use the car and how many miles I rack up as I'm unlikely to sell now. She's mine, I'll do what mods I like and drive the wheels off her (the car before anyone asks)

As per Grants instructions, running in was achieved with minimal idling. I got her on the road asap after start up. Quick check over, then 35 - 40 mins of "spirited" use on a road local to me. Revs kept between 2,000 and 4500. Lots of acceleration on no more than half throttle, then coast down and repeat. So a good load on the rings and bores. Stopped 3 times to check and add about 1 litre of coolant each time and make sure it didn't run dry in the header tank.

Feels tight but strong with it wanting to really pick up at 4,500.

No knocking or tapping on a hot idle at 700 rpm. Cleaning out the idle control valve has seen a 50-100 rpm increase in idle speed anyway.

New stainless manifolds has increased noise. In a good way if you ask me, not my neighbour's!

Greasing the starter motor pinion and gears appears to have cured the hot start sluggish behaviour, and still keen to whirr.

However changing the alternator voltage regulator doesn't appear to have stopped the battery draw overnight ..

Oil and filter changed for new and Shell Helix semi synthetic. Lots of little bits in the oil filter housing but none in sump oil. Didn't look too closely but a fair few shavings left in the oil drain bowl.

I am reassured that is fine and the reason the oil and filter are both changed very soon after initial running in.

Cheers again to everyone you has contributed and helped me with advice and offers of assistance over the last few months. Hopefully it hasn't put anyone off having a go themselves. It's not an easy project, but it is doable.if anyone thinks I can add information in here that will be of use to others doing the same, please let me know.

Cheers

Hi DeMort, that'd be great DeMort, thanks.

I've done the usual checks by sending the car to 'sleep' and checking across the fuses for a draw, but nothing of note. I've tried deactivating the alarm sensors,which appeared to help a bit. Maybe a rogue tracker.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back