Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tilting car lift

Not sure I would want to work under my car when supported by what looks like a joiners Trestle.

I spent a while looking at these, before I went for my scissor lift.

They look a great idea and love the thought of being able to move it out of the way when not needed.

Along the same lines as kas750's comment, I did read a few forum posts (cant remember which forum now) where people had failures with tilting lifts (to be fair, there are lots of versions of this type of lift, some considerably cheaper than others). I decided it wasn't worth putting myself at risk and went for a scissor lift.

If I went for a tilting lift, I would definitely invest in high-lift axle-stands as a safety-measure.

ive got one of these that i've used on my MG midget - not used it on the porsche (yet)

the one i have has a separate bar allowing you to lock it at various angles but i would always use it with additional axle stands to be safe.... although it does feel very solid.

the MG does have nice flat box like sills to mount it on though, i think if i were to use it on the porsche i'd want to make something to mount to the factory jack points rather than sitting on my aero side skirts!

Thanks for your thoughts.

I was concerned about where to place it as I also have Aero side skirts.

I was considering one as an easy way of getting the car up onto axle stands.

Just front or just back onto stands is the easy option and needs nothing fancy. Some buy the special Jack Stands to get all corners up.

Magic919 said:
Just front or just back onto stands is the easy option and needs nothing fancy. Some buy the special Jack Stands to get all corners up.

Special jack stands?

rdodger said:

The other thing is that it takes a hell of a lot of winding to get it all the way up by hand... i modified mine to take a drill.

Also, you need space beside the car to feed it in from the side as its too wide to 'drive over'... then you also need the ground clearance to push it under - fine on my MG (just) but no chance on the Porsche without having jacked up each corner already... which then defeats the object altogether!

invest in a decent low entry, high lift trolley jack and stands.

mid said:
rdodger said:

The other thing is that it takes a hell of a lot of winding to get it all the way up by hand... i modified mine to take a drill.

Also, you need space beside the car to feed it in from the side as its too wide to 'drive over'... then you also need the ground clearance to push it under - fine on my MG (just) but no chance on the Porsche without having jacked up each corner already... which then defeats the object altogether!

invest in a decent low entry, high lift trolley jack and stands.

I think you are right. It's starting to sound more trouble than it's worth. I will just continue with axle stands and jack. If I ever finish the house renovations and get to start on the garage I will get an in floor lift then :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back