Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman S/GTS - 981

Junky said:
With regards to wheel spacers and handling,may I suggest a CAT driving course which I went on via here 911uk,earlier on in the year which gave me more confidence in 'myself' as well as the car.. Shortly after doing this course I went on another Sunday morning Hoon after which I overheard the owner of a well specced 4WD Golf R32 Mk 6?,complain that he nearly lost / crashed his car trying to keep up with me thru the country lanes and roundabouts.. If you know / learn how to drive,the car handles exceedingly well,straight out the box..

Wheel spacers for me are purely for aesthetics especially when running more negative camber. As for handling, it is brilliant out of the box on the road and still good on circuit, but having done A LOT of trackdays over the last 10 years and had various different instructors on different tracks, I just know how I prefer my cars to handle, hence the additional modifications for me, (but probably not necessary for most) :wink:

As for the GTS over the S, it's not about the 15hp difference as even if it's there you would never feel it, It's the fact the GTS is unique in terms of appearance externally/internally and just feels like a complete package, as is it comes with all the best options standard. However once behind the wheel you would be equally happy in either GTS or and S (with the same options, particularly the PSE 8) ) Either way the 981 3.4 Cayman is a brilliant car.

What tyres are are you running then? The n rated tyres aren't comparable with a half decent track tyre, cups aside.

Anything particular to look out for when buying one? Ideally would like to get something with less than 20K on the clock and probably a 2015 car.

Depending on the dealer/source, I might get a PPI inspection done to check the car over.

Any pointers/experience welcome - thanks

JonnyBaddeley said:
What tyres are are you running then? The n rated tyres aren't comparable with a half decent track tyre, cups aside.

As it's also my daily it's on MPS4S rather than cups, I also keep my number of laps/time on track relatively short so as not to destroy them (around 15mins max per session). As said though the modifications I am making are all personal preference in terms of how I like the car to feel for me on track, rather than it lacking in handling ability. However most of the GTS cars reviewed by journalists had the X73 sports suspension fitted, (my car has PASM). All I want is the X73 rollbars (which I now have but not yet fitted), and DSC Sport PASM module (which I was massively impressed with on track with my 997).

mikeluke said:
Anything particular to look out for when buying one? Ideally would like to get something with less than 20K on the clock and probably a 2015 car.

Depending on the dealer/source, I might get a PPI inspection done to check the car over.

Any pointers/experience welcome - thanks

When I bought mine from an independent dealer, I had them send it to Porsche for a 111 point check. I wanted to make sure it would be fine if I wanted to extend the warranty there and then, (it still had 6 months Porsche warranty on the car, but wanted to know there would be no big surprises come renewal time in October).

T8 said:
Junky said:
....................... Mine's Pdk,will never go back to manual after this ........

Unfortunately the site won't let me load a picture of it.. But suffice to say it's a stunning Yellow :)

Another auto convert :thumb:

Have this one on me Junky. Are you going on another driving course to show you how to park it straight? :D

:grin: :grin:
Parking course booked for September...
You're the reason I went S.A. after going in your Tiptronic Turbo which isn't sluggish on the gear change at all..

Finally picked my new to me CGTS . 2016 Agate. Manual. Sounds lovely and is the ride is superb even with dampers switched to firm. A good move so far. Off to North Wales in the morning so a real test with my pal's T350t.

Attachments

• img_2038_167.jpg
    img_2038_167.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 3,164
  • img_2037_144.jpg
    img_2037_144.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 3,164
Junky - When you've finished with it hit me up as I'll be looking for a high miles 981S as a daily and yellow is preferred as it will match the 4C on the onyx plinth in the garage :grin:

JonnyBaddeley said:
Finally picked my new to me CGTS . 2016 Agate. Manual. Sounds lovely and is the ride is superb even with dampers switched to firm. A good move so far. Off to North Wales in the morning so a real test with my pal's T350t.

Nice Car , looks the business in Agate.....

Great sound of the GTS , among the best ... what is a T350t ? & how did the Cayman open your eyes ?
It only gets better once you trust it....

Came to the Cayman from 2005 997.1S. Always wanted to try one and the GT4 Boxster Spyder are currently out of reach. t350t TVR. Awesome car.
CGTS was perfect today. Comfortable absorbing the bumps, rough surfaces and really impressing. Off to Switzerland in August so look forward to that.

Attachments

• img_2041_191.jpg
    img_2041_191.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 3,440
JonnyBaddeley said:

Lovely looking car Jonny. :thumb: Out of curiosity is there any drone from the exhaust around 2krpm and also with the 6 speed manual what is the rpm at say 70mph? I have a PDK and in 7th the car seems to want to cruise at 2krpm at which point there is a drone to the exhaust.

Thanks. Love this car. tBH it's spent most of the weekend north of 2k so I haven't noticed the drone you describe. I'll,investigate further an get back to you.

krispe said:
JonnyBaddeley said:

Lovely looking car Jonny. :thumb: Out of curiosity is there any drone from the exhaust around 2krpm and also with the 6 speed manual what is the rpm at say 70mph? I have a PDK and in 7th the car seems to want to cruise at 2krpm at which point there is a drone to the exhaust.

I too have noticed a slight drone under those conditions. I think others have reported this too. I guess it's a side affect of the extra plumbing on the intake side 🤷"â™‚️

tim993 said:
krispe said:
JonnyBaddeley said:

I too have noticed a slight drone under those conditions. I think others have reported this too. I guess it's a side affect of the extra plumbing on the intake side 🤷"â™‚️

Are you guys talking about with PSE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back