Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic oil seal leaking

taffybloke

Silverstone
Looking for some advice! My 03 996 c4 has a leak from the selector input shaft, This is not a problem with the electric cable plug on the near side but its the gear mode selector shaft seal on the drivers side. Has anyone changed this in situ or does the box have to come out?

Part number leaking is 0099974847 this has been superseded by 00699701447

any info would be welcome

Mike

Difficult one ..

Ive never done it so can only say what i see ..

My feeling is the greyed out part that goes through the leaking seal is secured from inside .. im struggleing to see how it would just pull out .

From inside then its a bit of a mission , sump and tip valve body removed to even get near it and even then as ive not looked i dont know what access you will have .

I dont think i have any instructions or info on it but ive made a note to have a search at the weekend when i have more time to see if i can come up with anything .. dont hold your breath though :(

I know another turbo owner who had a leak or two on his tiptronic box.
Both times it was a gearbox out or substantial dismantling to lower it to get access to the leaks and fix them - not sure where they were though.

He spoke to Ken at 9E who is well versed with tiptronic gearbox issues and leaks. Might be worth a phone call to 9E?

Thank you DeMort and Cheshire911 for your replies. I will ring 9e next week

Sorry DeMort I am holding my breath. :bow:

Mike

No problem DeMort I am still using the car, I had the gearbox sump replaced a few weeks ago as the filler plug had been butchered and wanted to check the fluid level and fix the leak thought to be from the sump, Leak was still there and they have bottled on replacing the seal so I am trying to find out what is involved.

Don't spend time on this on a nice weekend get out and enjoy yourself :thumb:

Mike

Ive had a look and the best ive found is below but this doesnt seem to be the same as your image .. have a look anyways.

Attachments

• shaft_1_499.jpg
    shaft_1_499.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 2,976
Thanks deMort. I think that selector is from the earlier car. The transmission was changed, from 98-01 the box was a ZF unit I think and from 02 on it was a Mercedes unit model 722.6.

Mike

That makes sense .. unfortunatly they are the only instructions i could find ..

I even checked the 997 2005 box instructions and nothing :(

I will have a look next time i have one of these in but im dubious it can be done without access to the inside atm .

Attachments

• untitled_157.jpg
    untitled_157.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 2,888
Thanks for your efforts deMort. I'll keep digging as I have an MOT due in a few weeks and it won't pass with a leak like this.

Mike

Oil leaks like this are not as such covered by the MOT .. the best they can do is a failure to test due to hazardous leaks .

Power steering or brakes are obviously different .

Where as engine / gearbox leaks are not really considered safety items and should just be an advise .

Update

I have finally fixed the oil leak from my Tip gearbox. Thanks to deMort and cheshire911 for your input.

The gear selector shaft, and therefore the seal can be accesed without removing the box. after I drained the atf fluid and removed the sump the inside of the shaft can be seen beside the valve body.

there is a spring arm that keeps the selector in position, this needs to be removed then the pinch bold holding the shaft can be reached, once removed the shaft can be slid out and the seal can then be removed and the new one inserted and the whole lot reassembled.

Getting the ATF fluid back in is.....messy

The car now runs well and no clunk into first gear when still moving

The process is similar to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUzBeXCPPBI

Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back