Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nail in Tyre - Should I use Kwik Fit?

Moodytunes

Hi all

Only last month I put some new P Zeros (225/40/18 N4) on my MY 2000 996.

There's a nail in the middle of the front one at the moment and it's so well embedded it's not losing any air. Should be repairable as it's nowhere near the sidewalls.

I am loathed to use Kwik Fit as the last time they had a wheel off they scratched my wheels. Any recommendations as to where's best in North London or even a mobile fitter.

Thanks

Moodytunes said:
Hi all

Only last month I put some new P Zeros (225/40/18 N4) on my MY 2000 996.

There's a nail in the middle of the front one at the moment and it's so well embedded it's not losing any air. Should be repairable as it's nowhere near the sidewalls.

I am loathed to use Kwik Fit as the last time they had a wheel off they scratched my wheels. Any recommendations as to where's best in North London or even a mobile fitter.

Thanks

I do believe that your answer is in your question 'they scratched my wheels'

Say no more
:dont know:

Give Portiacraft a ring (Mill Hill Circus)
Ask them if they can do it for you, or who they would use if the can't.

Get a replacement tyre though , don't even think about a plug ......

Would you really drive your car with a repaired tyre , 25% of your contact with the black stuff???

911TEL said:
Would you really drive your car with a repaired tyre , 25% of your contact with the black stuff???

I would. If it's a new tyre and it's been professionally repaired it isn't a problem.

From previous experience I wouldn't use Kwik-Fit as a matter of principle.

T8 said:
911TEL said:

I would. If it's a new tyre and it's been professionally repaired it isn't a problem.

I'm guessing the OP, having just shelled out for new rubber, is not too keen on buying another tyre and saying cheerrio to several mil of unused tread. Positively, if the purchase of a new tyre is what happens then with being such a recent purchase only one would be required, unless of course the OP has been visiting 911TEL everyday in the last month. :grin:

Have Kwik-Fit ever repaired a puncture?
Most times you get the usual guff 'sorry it's too near the edge you need a new tyre'. Proceeded by 'here we have one in stock' at three times the usual price :roll:

I'm OK with plugged rubber :thumb:

pzero said:
T8 said:
911TEL said:

I'm guessing the OP, having just shelled out for new rubber, is not too keen on buying another tyre and saying cheerrio to several mil of unused tread. Positively, if the purchase of a new tyre is what happens then with being such a recent purchase only one would be required, unless of course the OP has been visiting 911TEL everyday in the last month. :grin:

:floor:

I take onboard what chaps have said about not much wear and being averse to replacing an almost new tyre but it's not for me to use repaired tyres on a car capable of both speed an generating forces on tyres during 'spirited driving' ... imagine how pissed off a chap would be if the repaired tyre let go at speed or on the twisters!!!!
I guess it's each to his own .....

But ...
I agree I wouldn't use Kwik fit either ........

If you don't mind travelling to e18 bear Charlie Brown rab.
Uk car servicing, did all of mine including shiny split rims on 996
If you tell Ricky the guvnor when you go there he will ensure they are extra careful.

I don't think all Kwik-Fit are the same. I've used their one in Chelsea (I seem to remember it's under The Kings Road or there abouts) - and they were great. Actually did plug a brand new tyre for me.

Other branches aren't so good. No different to any other large outfit, I expect.

My local kwikfit are good too!
They have successfully regassed my air con on various Porsches and set the geometry on my Boxster on their Hunter equipment and it drove beautifully afterwards. :thumbs:

I am sure the centres vary such a lot from dim witted to very competent that are bothered staff.
Usually get mine done at my local OPC they won't dink or scratch your rims (accidents I am sure can happen though)
Tyre prices are usually pretty good.
And its a nicer place to sit. :thumb:

Porsche do actually specifiy no puncture repairs .. its a new tyre every time .. but the OPC,s do puncture repairs :?

I would advise against 2 repairs in the same tyre though .... or even 1 if your tracking it .

You can use who ever .. as long as they use a rim protector then it should be fine .. basically a lump of plastic that goes between the wheel and the pry bar .

You can always ask that they use one .

Attachments

• s_l1600_101.jpg
    s_l1600_101.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 7,440

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back