Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Light Lenses (again)

4b4

Ok, so my lights are really yellow and I want them refurbed - I've done the bosses Golf with the 3M kit but want a 'professional' job on the porker.

I've got hold of a bodyshop and they've offered two options :-

1) Buff back and polish with a UV resistant wax
2) Sand back and lacquer

Apparently you can't buff back & lacquer, as the buffing compound has 'stuff' in it that creates a barrier so that the lacquer won't bond properly?

What is the consensus as to benefits of 2) over 1) or vice versa?

I'd go with the 3M kit again, it's a very very easy job on the 996 'cos you can pop the lights out in 30 seconds.

I've never been convinced with the lacquering thing as even with the factory coating they become yellow/crazed/tarnished etc. It might help to prevent light swirling marks on the soft plastic lenses but if you've got the 3M kit you can easily buff them in seconds with any light polish/finishing compound once you've removed all the nasty/yellow/crazed coating :thumb:

I've done a couple of cars with the 3M kit over 2+ years and both sets look as good as the day I did them still so to me the coating isn't actually necessary :thumbs:

I'd be tempted to follow the advice of the bodyshop or any person who does this professionally in some numbers. I had the lights polished on my daily car by a bodyshop and perfect. They applied a lacquer - which contradicts the other post to your enquiry. They stated the lacquer is needed to provide protection from yellowing again.

Have you had them polished before? How long ago and how long did it last before becoming yellow again?

Porsche-approved bodyshops restore yellowed headlights. The price is reasonable considering that to replace the lights, they are around £1500 each - maybe more if headlamp wash is incorporated. Perhaps worth considering this route?

I quick 3 minute rub with T-cut removes the yellowing.

My bodyshop guy advises against lacquering after the polishing as the heat from the bulbs may cause issues. He says just polish them. Mine are going yellow, so I am getting them to do it for me.

Is there a professional detailer or mobile headlamp restorer who can clarify on this lacquer/no lacquer point?

My understanding is that polishing removes the lacquer that protects from UV.
Not replacing the lacquer then will result in UV light affecting the plastic very quickly so the shiny clear lamps go cloudy very quickly once again?

There is this stuff Meguiar's G17110DE Headlight Protectant claims to stop yellowing after restoration.
Will be trying it myself, just keeping them polished at the moment.

Just a thought. Your car is 13+ years old now to get the lenses to this point. Chances are no one has polished these lenses before, and you most likely have a bottle of t cut at home. Why not give it a go and see how it turns out. All you're looking to do is remove the oxidisation layer off.
What harm can it do?

I had mine lacquered because polishing never lasted more than about 6 months. They now look the best they ever have in the 6 years I've owned the car and they haven't changed in appearance at all in the last 6 months since it was done.

I had the same done to my Skyline 2 years ago and they are still perfect.

Choices:

A) Sand old coating off and then spend ages polishing them up really nice, apply wax.

Every time you wash the car give them another quick polish and wax, otherwise they won't last much more than a year.

B) Sand coating off and to key and then paint with a UV resistant lacquer (UPOL Clear #1 is marketed as UV resistant).

I chose B because it lasts much longer and I can rarely be bothered to wash my car, never mind polish my headlights.

Paint (laquer) won't stick to a polished surface, it needs a key. The paint will fill this key and dry with a smooth surface, which you can then polish if you like to give the best finish.

Cheers for the replies guys

Pretty much 50/50 for either option, but I'm kindof in your camp wasz - do it once and forget it for a reasonable time - the original coating has lasted 15 odd years, so I'll be happy with another 10!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back