Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTechniq Ceramic Protection

mark pearce

I had 3 cars Gtechniq's earlier this year. Thinking I should try something different to the Zymol Caranuba waxes I ve been using for the last 20 years

One car has suffered from water marks

When I wash the car, the water doesn't bead up and when I dry it with a Microwipe, the bodywork has sort of leopard spots that after 2/3 minutes in the warm, vanish

Spoke to Gtechniq, who say the water beads up on the panel, dust etc falls onto the water, the water evaporates and you get the watermark.

their solution being, until they produce a water mark remover.

Go to Wilko, buy some white clear vinegar, wipe off the marks and wash with a ph neutral shampoo.

As I live down in south west cornwall, sea gulls are a nuisance to say the least.

I had a weeks holiday and was unable to check my cars everyday and came back to a seagull mark,

So car back to the detailers, mopped and the mark went, 2 days later it re appeared, so off to the bodyshop, flatted the mark with 6000 wet and dry paper, then machine polish with 3 compounds and the mark gone and not to return.

saturday morning, checked the stock again, bird ***** mark, went to wash it off as as I moved the sheepskin mutt over the mark, the water dripping off the mutt washed the ***** away, so it must of been no more than 5/ 10 minutes old?
washed the panel, rinsed and dried and the paint work stained,

Hand polish the mark with Farecla G3, Scholl S20 Black and it vanished.

the next day back again.

So today I ring Gtechniq, ask what I can do to stop it happening again.

Their advise take it back to the detailer every time for mopping and reapplication of the Gtechniq,

But surely as a Crystal ceramic coat the Gtechniq should protect the paint work?

No it will protect the paintwork but not the ceramic coat,

the skies in west cornwall, by the coast are covered in seagulls, I could spend my days just taking cars back and fro to my detailers.

how come as I ve lived here for 20 years and used Zymol Caranuba waxes for 20 years and have have very rarely had the problem before?

so £850 to have a car Gtechniq'd and it won't even protect you from 10 minutes worth a seagull Pooh

Gtechniq had no interest at all in taking my name number, suggesting alternative treatments, or speaking to their approved detailer.

Premium Price, 3rd world service!!

After going to a GTech 'agent' and being quoted in excess of £1100 for this magic treatment I decided instead to get it PPF covered as I just felt that they were taking the AdBlue over their pricing!
I feel it's the Emperors new clothes syndrome!

Is it Crystal serum? Thought It will be the bees knees . I don't think they deliver the same jazz as advertised .
The new generation Exo offers water repellency with less water marks.
I stick to waxes these days. Thinking about Kamakaze ceramic wax as an alternative.

According to what I was told by the 'agent' they have a new super Serum that's only available to authorised G Tech agents. Also for an extra £100 they will treat your car with a Hydrophobic treatment that stops the water from staying on the panel, it's funny cause when I wax the car that's what happens to the water on my car!

I'm currently dealing with similar issues on my M2 that has CSL and Exo V3 applied, the water spotting and bug marks are terrible. It's going to the detailers next week to get machined and Exo V4 applied FOC to see if that helps. To be honest, I regret the day that I decided to get the products applied, although the detailer has been excellent and has pulled out all the stops to do what he can. That said, I've never had any issues with my usual snow foam, 2 bucket wash and Angelwax Corona routine on other cars.

I am impressed with the Gtechniq wheel and glass products though, it really stops the brake dust sticking with no chemicals required to bring the wheels back to new and baked on bugs wash off the glass easily. How long that lasts remains to be seen.

I can understand why people have it done, especially if they use a car a lot/leave it outside etc, and was tempted too, mainly for swirl resistance and durability. In the end concluded that its still a sacrificial coating that will have its own issues (such as the sort of things Mark has described) that could be more of a pain to live with (like getting it off to deal with paint repair) and trickier to apply/maintain yourself (maybe more cost).

Glad I discovered this thread. I was thinking about investigating Gtechnique further but won't bother now 8)

Roro said:
Glad I discovered this thread. I was thinking about investigating Gtechnique further but won't bother now 8)
Close call then! :D
Did 2 of mine.. not worth the money. Sticking with good old wax these days.

+1
That pretty much locks me out. I see value on doing the wheels and arches where watermarks are of no consequence, but the above has confirmed it.

I've been surprised by how long properly applied coats of Zymol wax last...

I've just bought some Carpro Dlux, which promises great things as a semi permanent black plastic trim coat for the scuttle, spoiler, arches etc like Gtechniq C4, and it also coats wheels, rubber and apparently lights. Will report in due course...

Slayer said:
Roro said:
Close call then! :D
Did 2 of mine.. not worth the money. Sticking with good old wax these days.

Good to see you back in a Porsche again :thumb:

Robertb I think I'll be investing in zymol in the near future. I've been very lazy of late, need to get my sh*t together 8) will be interested to hear how you get on with the carpro

I'm very surprised at the reports of poor experience with the GTechniq Ceramic products. I had mine done 2 years (8000 miles) ago and think it's fantastic. The car looks better now than it did in the showroom when I bought it 4 years ago! Most people can't believe it's 12 years old, it looks show room ready all the time. The best bit for me is how easy it is to wash and maintain. A simple wash and dry with their recommended shampoo takes about 20 mins and it looks like new again.

I can only assume the fault is not with the product, rather with the application? If anybody is considering this I can highly recommend REEP in Leicester who did mine. My brother in law and dad have since both had theirs done at Reep with the same results.

Attachments

• ba9910d1_1afd_498d_ad9e_3bb8ef6e33ea_782.jpeg
    ba9910d1_1afd_498d_ad9e_3bb8ef6e33ea_782.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 3,689
  • 49b2a48b_b453_4b31_8a24_3ecb46e49c6b_734.jpeg
    49b2a48b_b453_4b31_8a24_3ecb46e49c6b_734.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 3,689
  • b4c06c3c_99ed_4cdf_bd25_b641bbaca6cc_162.jpeg
    b4c06c3c_99ed_4cdf_bd25_b641bbaca6cc_162.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 3,689
  • fe8b4ab1_0652_4c36_a8cf_0ba246789f3c_107.jpeg
    fe8b4ab1_0652_4c36_a8cf_0ba246789f3c_107.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 3,689
RJW1881 said:
I'm very surprised at the reports of poor experience with the GTechniq Ceramic products. I had mine done 2 years (8000 miles) ago and think it's fantastic. The car looks better now than it did in the showroom when I bought it 4 years ago! Most people can't believe it's 12 years old, it looks show room ready all the time. The best bit for me is how easy it is to wash and maintain. A simple wash and dry with their recommended shampoo takes about 20 mins and it looks like new again.

I can only assume the fault is not with the product, rather with the application? If anybody is considering this I can highly recommend REEP in Leicester who did mine. My brother in law and dad have since both had theirs done at Reep with the same results.

RJW - car looks stunning mate!

Darren.

I find it necessary to rinse the car with soft water, max 2ppm (I use a 7L water filter), then dry it by hand, then finish with some C2V3. Only this way do I avoid the problems you describe.

Hi,

My two pence worth but Reep are the importers of Gtechniq I believe along with Swissvax.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back