Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Latest 996 CSR Evo reviewed by Evo magazine

Daniel said:
NLW73 said:
GT3 instead. all day
+1 :thumb:

Me too although I am biased! I will just leave this here....
CMIe4Ka.jpg

As a menu it makes a lot more sense - showcasing all the things you could choose to have applied to your donor vehicle.

I think that there's also a market here for pre-researched, pre-tested modifications.

What I mean by that is that personally the R&D part is a very strong part of the attraction of a project - coming up with an outline, involving experts, sourcing parts, watching the slow gestation and eventually creation of whatever it is (currently, for me, engine and gearbox), then bolting it all into the car and seeing if you've made a terrible mistake.

This takes time, and money, and motivation - and the product may make you go straight back to the drawing board. I can see why allowing RPM to do all the work for a fixed fee would have a strong appeal. Same goes for the brakes, the chassis, the aesthetic/aerodynamic upgrades - you buy from them, you know it works.

It doesn't appeal to me, but I suspect there's a scale:

1. Buy a GT3, it all works, it's OEM and it has the best chance of giving you your money back when you sell it
2. RPM CSR, again it likely all works, it's built by a firm with a reputation and you may get back a reasonable % of what you spent
3. Buy a base car and tinker with it incessantly whilst driving various experts insane with ridiculous questions, eventually coming up with something incredibly expensive, incredibly personal, potentially a disaster, and with a resale value probably equivalent to the cars scrap value. But, ITB's.

I suspect that most people will read the EVO review, visit RPM and then have a few items off the menu represented by the car- a starter, a main course, second most affordable wine and a dessert, up to you lot what that list would be.

Gear-knob and handbrake, suspension, steering wheel and ducktail?

Anyway - it's a risk free route to a modified/customised/outlaw style car.

If you are money enough it would potentially make sense as the car that you park next to your GT3, if that makes sense?

I'll take a number 3 please. But then for me a huge part of the fun is in the work. It would be dull to just buy a GT3.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I'll take a number 3 please. But then for me a huge part of the fun is in the work. It would be dull to just buy a GT3.

MC

Me too, this is a hobby, right?

Really, all that money and no engine work :?:

I'd be surprised if anyone remembers the RPM CSR in 5 years time, let alone pays more for a used one.

+1 for the exhaust! Does look very cool!
But as for the weight saving, not a great deal has been shaved off the original, nothing like the fantastic CLR build!
All these great builds do give us ideas and ways to improve our own cars.
I recently purchased EGTE's car which has the original CLR build lightweight Fuchs and EXE-TC 3 way adjustable suspension and the whole car is in absolutely fantastic condition. I would like to add my own stamp to the car but unsure of the route to take, it has the Carrera aerokit rear spoiler which is quite understated, but I think it suits the car really well. My Mk1 has the full GT3 style aero and I not sure the GT3 spoiler for the gen2 is the right way to go?
But the centre exit exhaust on the RPM car does look rather good so maybe something to consider in the future? But I would not want a heavier system, function before form in my opinion.
All the best
Tony

hmm, each to their own.
For 55k I could do many things to my c2, including full polybush, VF engineering supercharger, rebuild engine, and still have enough money for a boxster left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back