Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CG suspension rebuild with Ohlins

Perfect. Mike?

Dammit - have you thought of moving Benchrace2000 into this forum? Its a great fantasy thread!

looks like 13 is too hard anyway. I'll try 15 or 17 next, the front seems ok, even at 13 but that may change if I alter the rear. Looks like fun ahead.

maldren said:
looks like 13 is too hard anyway. I'll try 15 or 17 next, the front seems ok, even at 13 but that may change if I alter the rear. Looks like fun ahead.

Don't be worried about going softer, have just run 18 front with 17 rear and the car is fantastic. I may go back towards hard by one click or so, but for our atrocious roads this set up delivers.
Ohlins now better than M030 for 96-97% of the time. Turn in is ferocious! Love it!

Thanks both, I changed rears to 17 yesterday before driving home, definitely better and the front could probably do to be a bit softer but they're not quite so easy to change, I'll do them in a day or two.

I do suspect the rear spring could be a bit softer too, allow the dampers to travel more and work more....

Dammit said:
CG swapped my springs as the cabriolet bodyshell isn't as stiff as the coupe - and what they didn't want was the shell itself to become part of the suspension which might be the case if the springs themselves were too stiff.

Which means I've got a set of Ohlins springs, taking up space in the garage if anyone wants them?

Do you know what spring rates they are and can I ask how much they were? Are they custom made or something they have in stock?

The springs I used are the standard Ohlins springs that come with the dampers, They are about £2,400 and I got 10% discount from Design911.

What sort of cost are we looking at for fitting by CG? Ball park figure is fine.

They charge by the hour, (about £100 inc VAT) and it depends on what else you have done and how easy it turns out, I had all the suspension arms and inner and outer track rods replaced too but mine came apart very easily. The first day was fitting all the new parts, the 2nd day finishing off and setting it up.

It's not cheap and they do have a standard process including assessing the car 'as received' before starting work.

Their standards are very high and they are meticulous. I decided to use them as a 'one off' and I hope the suspension is now done for some years although I may still end up with softer rear springs after my summer hols.

Counter Of Beans said:
What sort of cost are we looking at for fitting by CG? Ball park figure is fine.

I detailed the costs in my thread (link below), have a dig through and you'll find them, IIRC it was just over four grand including all parts, not including tea.

maldren said:
I do suspect the rear spring could be a bit softer too, allow the dampers to travel more and work more....

I'm with you on that Mike. When I drove Craig's, one thing that stood out was when the road surface changes or you cross expansion joints and you get that slappy thud from the rear tyres.

I'm sure I read the std Ohlins rear springs supplied are something like 100 or 120lbs. I think the ones they fitted to the Porsche mag guys car were 60 ish.
Almost half. I've been telling Craig to get onto Ohlins as you shouldn't have to pay £2500 for coilovers, to then have to buy softer springs. They should be offering replacement springs to all previous buyers.
He's going to CG first for a setup and see what they say, as there was a mention of the 911 mag car now being too soft now.

I must stress Craig's is still to be setup. All camber and toe settings are all over the place until then.

The joys of modification eh. :dont know:

Right. I thought 60 sounded low as I typed. :grin:

So a 25% reduction on the rears. Quite a difference.
It makes you wonder why Ohlins sell the kit so stiffly sprung in the first place?
Obviously for the track lads.

Dammit said:
Just checked my invoice from CG - I've got 90Nm/mm rear and 40Nm/mm front.

Stock they're 60 front and 120 rear.

Wish I'd know that before I went to CG, your car rides very well. CG encouraged me to stick with firmer settings, they stressed that Steve Bennett's car is a bit soft bet I think he went much softer than you.

I'll try different damper settings before changing anything else.

Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back