Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 head unit

Wildhog

The head unit is coming out of my Gen 2 997 next month. It has bluetooth, aux, ipod, Sat-Nav etc. In fact, if I didn't already have the Alpine head unit I would leave it in.
My question is, is it any good as an upgrade to someone with a Gen 1 car, or Gen 2 without sat-nav? Or are they locked to a chassis number?

You'll find a long list of people wanting to take it off your hands. Bang it on eBay and it will soon be snaffled up

Wildhog said:
The head unit is coming out of my Gen 2 997 next month. It has bluetooth, aux, ipod, Sat-Nav etc. In fact, if I didn't already have the Alpine head unit I would leave it in.
My question is, is it any good as an upgrade to someone with a Gen 1 car, or Gen 2 without sat-nav? Or are they locked to a chassis number?

Hi Phil, good to see you on here!
Should be fine without a code, plenty of folks have done the pcm 2.1 3.0 upgrade

I thought the sat nav needed coding to the chassis?

Monster down here has done the full gen2 upgrade to his gen1 the PCM the ac unit and the button bar , he did a thread about it maybe18 months/ 2 yrs or so ago

Sat nav, bluetooth, usb/ipod will all need coding to either a gen1 or gen2 car as the code is related to your chassis number.

You can buy these codes pretty easy online and just need someone with a piwis and a spare 15mins to do the job.

Should be snapped up pretty quick I'd expect as they dont come up for sale very often!

jonno_ said:
Wildhog said:

Hi Phil, good to see you on here!
Should be fine without a code, plenty of folks have done the pcm 2.1 3.0 upgrade

Sorry, my mistake.
Considering the update though.

This stuff moves so fast though that no car play & Android auto, 7 digit postcode means it's already slightly dated. Balance of OEM Vs aftermarket I guess.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back