Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fabspeed-------------

-- 997 --

Barcelona
Am thinking of purchasing a Fabspeed twin cone air filter systembfor my 997, a question.... when fitted is there a noticeable difference? Is it worth the money?

I know if combined with an IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body and my current exhaust setup it would most benefit a rolling road session etc.
On a rough idea once all fitted then carrying out a rolling road what sort of BHP could be squeezed from the engine...?

Cheers

J

J ,I have the fabspeed preformance induction kit on mine , you will need to get the car remapped as the ecu cant cope with the change in paramiters and it throws the 02 sensor on both sides making it run lumpy at low revs . I have since fitting mine read that on induction anything more than a sports panel filter needs a remap as it exceeds the capability of the ecu to relearn the values.

I had already got a remap (this needs retweaking after fitting the fabspeed) an IPD plen etc and a cargraphic full exhaust with 200 cell cats and even with that lot after fitting the fabspeed induction over the BMC sports filters I noticed a change in the car especially in the Low range and a bit in mid range. even more freely flowing and a nice induction note.

Is it worth nearly £1k ,I would say if you have done everything else and its just the last touch in the hunt for BHP and you have a grand burning a hole ,or if you want to get a lazy one every time you open your engine lid then yes . but a remap or IPD or 200cell cats any one of those 3 will bring more to the party as single mods and I would suggest them first . but thats just me and I have done the other things . It certainly is a pretty addition to the engine bay.

Also woth a mention the gen2 has twin air ducts and as I have the RS engine lid the air intake is forward facing. so a twin ram air effect is created . what would happen to the unvented side on a gen1 without opening it up I cant say and it may end up pulling in warm engine air I really dont know for certain but worth a consideration .

on a last note . I did a lot of research on these before buying one as I had always thought you couldnt beat the true cold air that comes from the OE airbox but after getting my gen2 and seeing the huge vents in the bottom to allow water to drain out I realised the gen2 airbox cant be true cold air induction as the vents are right next to the engine. so I did some more investgating and it seems lot or R&D was done on the twin cone and a combination of the carbon heat shield and the increased speed of the air going into the engine meant the air didnt have time to warm up so when like for like temp checks were carried out the fabspeed was actually very slighly colder air hitting the TB/Plen than the OE set up . this although suprising did make sense once I understood it.

hope that helps feel free to ask any if you need any more info on it. :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• img_2610_103.jpg
    img_2610_103.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,767
I'm sure what Phil said answered your question but I have had too many Peroni's to even be able to see what he wrote... :grin:

Buy it, see what you think, if you like it then keep it, if not then eBay it and try something else :thumbs:

When you get it mapped then go to Mezgerite and not Nick Lawrence...you pays your money etc etc

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
I'm sure what Phil said answered your question but I have had too many Peroni's to even be able to see what he wrote... :grin:

Buy it, see what you think, if you like it then keep it, if not then eBay it and try something else :thumbs:

When you get it mapped then go to Mezgerite and not Nick Lawrence...you pays your money etc etc

:thumb:

Ah Peroni my beer of choice :grin: :viking: :viking: :drink:

Phil 997 said:
J ,I have the fabspeed preformance induction kit on mine , you will need to get the car remapped as the ecu cant cope with the change in paramiters and it throws the 02 sensor on both sides making it run lumpy at low revs . I have since fitting mine read that on induction anything more than a sports panel filter needs a remap as it exceeds the capability of the ecu to relearn the values.

I had already got a remap (this needs retweaking after fitting the fabspeed) an IPD plen etc and a cargraphic full exhaust with 200 cell cats and even with that lot after fitting the fabspeed induction over the BMC sports filters I noticed a change in the car especially in the Low range and a bit in mid range. even more freely flowing and a nice induction note.

Is it worth nearly £1k ,I would say if you have done everything else and its just the last touch in the hunt for BHP and you have a grand burning a hole ,or if you want to get a lazy one every time you open your engine lid then yes . but a remap or IPD or 200cell cats any one of those 3 will bring more to the party as single mods and I would suggest them first . but thats just me and I have done the other things . It certainly is a pretty addition to the engine bay.

Also woth a mention the gen2 has twin air ducts and as I have the RS engine lid the air intake is forward facing. so a twin ram air effect is created . what would happen to the unvented side on a gen1 without opening it up I cant say and it may end up pulling in warm engine air I really dont know for certain but worth a consideration .

on a last note . I did a lot of research on these before buying one as I had always thought you couldnt beat the true cold air that comes from the OE airbox but after getting my gen2 and seeing the huge vents in the bottom to allow water to drain out I realised the gen2 airbox cant be true cold air induction as the vents are right next to the engine. so I did some more investgating and it seems lot or R&D was done on the twin cone and a combination of the carbon heat shield and the increased speed of the air going into the engine meant the air didnt have time to warm up so when like for like temp checks were carried out the fabspeed was actually very slighly colder air hitting the TB/Plen than the OE set up . this although suprising did make sense once I understood it.

hope that helps feel free to ask any if you need any more info on it. :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Phil, thanks for replying back!! Seems like when any mods are carried out it has to be all finalised on the rolling road!! Phil can I ask where did you get your Fabspeed air filter? Any stockists here in UK? Cos if I get to order one then i know the customs are shaft to the point that the only thing I'll be driving for a while is a wheelchair.

J

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi Phil, thanks for replying back!! Seems like when any mods are carried out it has to be all finalised on the rolling road!! Phil can I ask where did you get your Fabspeed air filter? Any stockists here in UK? Cos if I get to order one then i know the customs are shaft to the point that the only thing I'll be driving for a while is a wheelchair.

J

J,I was quite lucky as a forum member had brought one for a gen2 by mistake and it didnt fit his gen1 so I brought it . Design 911 sell them

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...ompetition-Intake-System-Porsche-997-Carrera/

you need to add vat to that price, but you can get the forum 5% discount . :thumb: :thumb:

note the gen1 option has a cut out on the heat shield for the oil filler tube and a clip to hold the oil filler tube which the gen2 one doesnt as the gen2 oil filler is a retractable tube , also the gen1 tube is slightly different at the neck where it joins the TB as the gen2 is a different angle to the gen1 . ignore the pic on D911 site showing the little breather pipe with a small chrome filter on it as thats the tiptronic breather pipe for the 996 the 997 tips dont have that breather pipe . :thumb: :thumb:

I'm fairly sure I know what the answer is but can anyone (Phil?) confirm whether a 997.1 GT3 carbon fibre twin cone induction kit (similar to phils pic) would fit my 997.2 carrera?

I know regular 997.1 and 997.2 are not interchangeable but I don't know if the gt3 is any different?

I know someone who has one surplus to requirements.

Cheers, James

James, pretty sure its not a straight swap mate as the neck of the TB sits at a slightly different angle ,although the gen2 TB is the same size as the gen1 GT3 TB, with some messing if your up for it it could be made to fit as it will only be a few degrees different, and also if your going that route you will need a remap as I have found it throws the O2 sensors both sides as the ECU cant re learn that level of change on induction. the car runs fine but is just a bit lumpy at low revs without the remap. Will your mate let you trial fit it so you can see what needs tweaking and if your up for it, the pipe sizes from GT3 gen1 to gen 2 will be perfect. If its a good price then if it was me I would grab it do some measuring and then contact Samco or similar and get a short custom shaped silicon pipe/conector job done . :thumb:

James is it a fabspeed one as I have just looked again and the only difference I can see between the gt3 gen1 and the carrera gen2 is the shape of the silicon hose that connects it to the TB,its longer and has a slight different angle so it will only be the short silicon hose that would need to be remade . The easiest would be if he lets you test fit it.

gen1 gt3
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-gt3-carbon-fiber-competition-air-intake/

gen2 carrera
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-2-carrera-carbon-fiber-competition-intake-system/

Thanks Phil,

Part is stored elsewhere so no trial fit option. It is a good price but it's the remap cost that is putting me off.

You can take the man out of Yorkshire, but you can't take the Yorkshire out of the man.

James M-S said:
Thanks Phil,

Part is stored elsewhere so no trial fit option. It is a good price but it's the remap cost that is putting me off.

You can take the man out of Yorkshire, but you can't take the Yorkshire out of the man.

:floor: :floor: :floor: well as your a yorkshire man you could always have it mapped for economy not power :grin: :grin: but when you ask the mapper that you want 60 mpg but not fussed about BHP I want to be there :floor: :floor:

remap £300 to £600

mate I must admit I was sceptical about the open duel cone induction kits V the true cold air OE airbox with a sportsfilter and res cap mod. theres no doubt the twin cone adds something extra, but its questionable if it adds enough to justify the 1k inc a remap that it would cost over the sports panel filter and res cap mod. unless your me and have to try these things because you can and you only live once :grin: :grin: I know I get stick about telling guys to spend money on mods but I will always be honest if a mods worth the money or if its one of those "I have done everything else and just want to finish everything off "things. and for me thats just what the fabspeed is its the last piece in my set up .mmmmm well for now anyway :floor: :floor:

I didn't think the resonator cap thing was applicable to Gen2? Is that where you remove the helmholtz resonator and bung with a bottle top?

James M-S said:
I didn't think the resonator cap thing was applicable to Gen2? Is that where you remove the helmholtz resonator and bung with a bottle top?

No your right on the gen2 you just need the two oval BMC filters theres no silicon hose option YET and no res bung. Samco have said they will make a smooth silicon hose to replace the funny corrigated stock thing on the gen2 but they need an OE hose to work from , I was looking into it until I fitted the fabspeed. :thumb: :thumb:

Also you dont need a remap with these BMC sports filters as the ECU can recalibrate the parameters.

Attachments

• untitled_18_148151442946900500_435.jpg
    untitled_18_148151442946900500_435.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 1,942

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back