Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP!! Ignition switch - stranded!

Ok thats good .. bear in mind its a left hand drive that the instructions are for .

Couple of points off hand ..

When removeing the instrument cluster then actually getting the hazard switch out can be a pain .. i dont bother , i leave the wiring connected and just swivel the cluster to the center and rest it on a wing cover (a towel will do ).
You still have to remove the cover to get at the screw though.

The locateing pin is on the underside not the top.

I undo all the plug connections from up top .. i dont work from under the dash .

The new lock ass. seems to be made by a different manufactuor these days .. it dont fit !

You may need to sand down the part of the steering lock to get it to fit inside the column .. try it but if too tight dont force just sand it down a bit .

Any problems and please feel free to ask me , ive done a few of these shall we say .. you have a personel best of 35 mins to beat :D

All sorted - thanks very much DeMort!

Was a bit of a pain in the behind to get arms around the small openings, and the hunt for the inevitable dropped screw :frustrated:

Didn't quite beat your record - 2h which wasn't bad at all!

FTR:
Symptoms - key spinning in ignition barrel - car stuck in 'keys in ignition'
Solution - new ignition / steering lock housing - part number just above.

DeMort saves the day again !!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

That man needs a medal...

Sundeep....how about a prize for 911Uk best supporter of the year.... :worship:

ministig said:
All sorted - thanks very much DeMort!

Was a bit of a pain in the behind to get arms around the small openings, and the hunt for the inevitable dropped screw :frustrated:

Didn't quite beat your record - 2h which wasn't bad at all!

FTR:
Symptoms - key spinning in ignition barrel - car stuck in 'keys in ignition'
Solution - new ignition / steering lock housing - part number just above.

Excellent , im glad its sorted.

2 hours isnt bad , certainly not going to nag you over that :D

They are a little tricky .. i also have thin arms which helps and have replaced rather a lot of them .. i actually enjoy this particular job !

Fyi .. its easier on a LHD which is what they were designed for .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yarders
Back