Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternator Fan Hub Puller

decgraham

Hi All,

Now we have the bearings I'm looking at being prepared for changing it. Had a look on the net and Pelican Parts use this type of puller,looks good to me. So can anyone tell me what this type is called? I've had a look on the net but can't seem to find it.

ATB :)

Attachments

• alternator_fan_puller_236.jpg
    alternator_fan_puller_236.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,950
That puller could strip the threads in the fan hub if you are not careful. I just used 3 bolts though the fan which will push against the altenator body. Tension them up evenly not too tight, Support the fan on 2 wooden blocks and tap the shaft with a soft faced mallet (al or copper) If there is no corrosion on the shaft it should pop off easily. When removing the shaft nut make sure the 12 point tool is fully seated it is too easy to damage the internal splines.
Then you need to get the bearing hub off the fan and the bearing out of the hub. Early fans/hubs have a locating pin later ones do not.
Gentle heat may be needed on the fan to seperate it from the hub using a press or again wooden blocks and mallet.
My knowledge ends here as I used the RS hub

Thanks for the advice Endoman points noted :thumb: When the time comes I will proceed with caution.

Endoman said:
When removing the shaft nut make sure the 12 point tool is fully seated, it is too easy to damage the internal splines.

I have had these fan assembly apart four of five times and cannot recall needing to use a puller.

The first time I had an issues with the shaft thread and internal splines, as has one of the people who did a "write up" on Pcarworkshop.

Beware, as the shaft appears quite soft and easily distorted.

I used a silverline 3 arm puller to remove my alternator fan bearing earlier this year.

However you may struggle to take the roller bearing out of the hub...

Hi,

I have seen fans bent through using pullers that use legs which go through the small holes in the face of the fan. Equally, as Endoman states, not sure I'd be happy using the threads in the magnesium to pull on, hard to guage the amount of stress being applied.

Wooden blocks around the circumference and socket on the bearing housing to tap it out is easier in my view.

The bearing on later hubs is held in place by an internal circlip with no eyes for removal. it's still doable though. Once the clip is out the bearing come out and goes in with little effort.

Regards
GR

Thanks GR good advice as always :thumb: Points noted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back