Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Credit card deposit and buyer protection

BChivs

Spa-Francorchamps
This may be a completely daft question or maybe one that only my could answer, but thought maybe someone would know the answer....is there a way to pay another person or seller by credit card if they don't have a machine etc? Almost like a bacs but with the credit card?
The reason I ask is I understand if paying for a car the protection is greater if a small amount such as a deposit is paid by credit card....something I didn't know last time and would have made my life much easier if I had.

To accept your credit card any dealer would have to have an agreement with your credit card supplier and would therefore have some sort of machine - even if it is just one of the old imprint takers - to take the transaction.

If they haven't got the facility you wouldn't be able to pay by credit card.

Personally, even if I didn't intend to use it, I wouldn't buy a Porsche from any dealer that didn't have the facility.

Imagine if he insisted on cash only !!

T8 said:
To accept your credit card any dealer would have to have an agreement with your credit card supplier and would therefore have some sort of machine - even if it is just one of the old imprint takers - to take the transaction.

If they haven't got the facility you wouldn't be able to pay by credit card.

Personally, even if I didn't intend to use it, I wouldn't buy a Porsche from any dealer that didn't have the facility.

This is my worry....when I had the last saga the first thing I was asked was 'did I pay any of the amount by credit card?'.....seems to be the first line of protection against potential problems.

The car looks great....spoken with Paragon who have looked after it in the past who have commented on it being a good car, but just don't trust the small dealer. It's a shame as there are good amongst the bad.

Long shot but would there be similar consumer protection if a smaller deposit of say £500 was paid by PayPal and then the balance by bacs?

You could pay him via PayPal using your credit card as the backup payment source...if that makes sense :?

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
You could pay him via PayPal using your credit card as the backup payment source...if that makes sense :?

Credit card registered as the payment source through PayPal? Suppose I'd just need to check with my Bank/Visa that would grant me the same level of protection.

BChivs said:
HSC911 said:

Credit card registered as the payment source through PayPal? Suppose I'd just need to check with my Bank/Visa that would grant me the same level of protection.

Worked for me once but yes, do check...make sure you update the thread with the answer :thumb:

HSC911 said:

I don't believe this will give you the same level of protection. Firstly because Paypal will not get involved in disputes over vehicles or part payments / deposit payments and secondly because Paypal is a third party payment processor which means the credit card company will not consider the transaction as being made directly with the vendor (this certainly used to be the case but whether or not it's changed along with the recent changes in CRA etc I couldn't say for certain so it's worth clarifying with PP before relying on it).

squelch said:
Paypal will not get involved in disputes over vehicles or part payments / deposit payments

Forgot about that, my experience was not a car...it was with eBay trying to rob me :nooo:

BUT...the card people said try PayPal, if they don't do resolve to my satisfaction THEN they would get involved :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back