Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo oil pressure

P911X50

Nurburgring
Hi

I recently had my 996 turbo 24k service. Looking at the advice on the forum I changed the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure relief valve. The car has FSH and 74k miles. Using Mobil 1 0W 40

On a run today I assessed the oil pressure which is concerning me.

On cold start up 4 bar

At 3000 rpm 3.6 bar

At higher revs to 5000 rpm at operating temperature never over 4

At idling when when normal operating temp 1.7 bar.

I don't remember it being that low before the changes and actually poss higher.

Could it be that they haven't been fitted correctly? or is this usual?

All advice greatly appreciated.

:thumbs:

The pressure seems relatively normal to me, though my car shows 4.5 bar cold.

The linearisation curve for a VDO sensor is an odd ball one, the nett result of which is that very minor voltage fluctuations can add or remove 0.5 bar here or there.

The ambient temperature is very high at the moment so expect the pressure to be slightly lower than normal.

When sender units fail then they normally show a higher reading ..

Quick check is ignition on but engine not running and it should read 0 .. anything above that is a faulty sender unit .

Cold start and you should get just below 5 bar at idle which will drop as the oil warms up... this is also dependant on ambient temps .. lower in summer basically but still between 4.5 - 5 bar .

Pretty much anything above 1 bar at idle is correct at operateing temps with 1.5 bar being spot on.

The system though is not hugely accurate , a proper test would be a garage fitting an oil pressure gauge and reading off from cold to hot .

Imho its not needed .

I would suggest perhaps 5/40 Mobile 1 oil at that milage .

I've got some logged data from my car. I'll post it tomorrow. If I forget give me a prod.

MC

That would be fab. :thumbs:

Here is a plot showing pressure against RPM when the engine was warmed up. Click to get a larger version.

This is with the coolant temperature going up from around 20 to 50 degrees C, obviously a lot less data and no higher RPM stuff.

Hope that helps, if you want any more info just ask. This is from a 2004 Turbo.

MC

Thanks, what did you use to get the data?

Thanks. Would a Durametric provide the same or similar data?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back