Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT - In, then out, then in love again!

So not posted in a while, have had my car up on axle stands whilst I carry out some work.

Have done a number of checks over the last few weeks - mainly on the basis of making sure she's ship shape!

Firstly, I wanted to establish what the hell was causing the brake judder I experienced. Before purchasing 6 pots I wanted to make sure everything was right. So... up on stands, off with all the wheels - calipers removed and disks checked with a DTI. All seemingly running true.

Next step: Disks off - all in good condition and not requiring replacement yet. SO I then ran a DTI around each hub. Backs first... all fine. Fronts... drivers side hub - lateral hub run out measuring at .009". Checked my 996 book - should be max .00157". Pretty clearly an issue! The reason for it not showing up - I skimmed the disks on the car a few years back because of minor judder on new disks... now explains it!

So: Car is going into OPC friday for a hub replacement - I could do this myself, but OPC Wolverhampton are so good, the cost isn't worth the time.

This got me thinking - before I eject the 4 pots for 6's I've done the following;

1. Replaced hard lines to calipers
2. Rebleed system with Motul 600 DOT4 fluid - higher wet/dry boiling points!
3. Purchased Pagid RS29 pads for 4 pots
4. Fitted GT3 brake ducts

I'll get this done and get out and track again - but I am loving the car!

The only pull... a GT4 as the prices begin to fall. With my track focused driving just makes a lot more sense! But we'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• image1_130.jpg
    image1_130.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 6,455
  • img_1435_843.jpg
    img_1435_843.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 6,455
Hi James,

following this with interest as a bit late to the thread. Your first track day in the turbo replicates my own first experience at Goodwood. Highlights the car's weight, particularly under braking. I also had the hot brake judder. I've had the callipers refurbished and was intending to fit the gt3 ducts to the underneath. Not ready to spend on the 6 pots yet. Is there any advantage in changing the pads to the Pagids for the 4 pots and is the advice to change the pads on both axles?

lofi said:
Hi James,

following this with interest as a bit late to the thread. Your first track day in the turbo replicates my own first experience at Goodwood. Highlights the car's weight, particularly under braking. I also had the hot brake judder. I've had the callipers refurbished and was intending to fit the gt3 ducts to the underneath. Not ready to spend on the 6 pots yet. Is there any advantage in changing the pads to the Pagids for the 4 pots and is the advice to change the pads on both axles?

Hey Piers - hope you're well mate. I'd get the GT3 ducts on, and get some Castrol SRF or Motul 600 in. Won't be night and day, but can only help.. challenge is keeping them cool. My garage buddy at donington had a temp reader, the GT3 brakes and Caterham 7 brakes were sub zero in comparison! The PS29s should be much better, and avoid fading for longer, I'll let you know after my next track day!

So it's been nearly a year since I posted any updates to my 996TT.

As you'll get from this post, I had toyed with the idea of selling her, came very close (even advertised). However, I got fed up with tyre kickers and offers well below what I was looking for, I decided to keep her.

Since then I have carried out more work, and spent more money to get her fully sorted.

Following my Donington track day, I established I had a hub issue - into Wolves OPC who carried out the work and replaced the hub. Turned out it was slightly bent and the bearings were shot. Suddenly the car breaking performance was improved significantly.

Issue was, the front disks (2k miles old!) were now misaligned with the hub. New set of Disks - sorted!

Cosmetically, she had 68k miles of stone chips and paint damage on the front - so I decided to have a front end respray. The results are fantastic, was very cautious, thinking you might see the blending.. but the paint shop has done an incredible job - repainting the mirrors on several occasions to get the desired finish. Was really happy they kept me in the loop on the work

url=https://ibb.co/i4dX3n]
IMG_0639.jpg
[/url]

Couldn't resist the Pewter badge - maybe not to everyone's liking, but suits the car.

Next up, she's in having the wheels fully refurbished, and the calipers painted. Hope to have her back later this week. Considering also getting a new set of centre caps.

Finally, the steering wheel and gear stick gator will be off for a retrim in Alcantara with the red centre stripe. Have considered the GT3 Cup wheel, but haven't convinced myself that losing the airbag is worth it!

Jamesyg said:
Couldn't resist the Pewter badge - maybe not to everyone's liking, but suits the car

..and that's all that matters :thumbs: Looks V 8)

Jamesyg said:
Next up, she's in having the wheels fully refurbished, and the calipers painted. Hope to have her back later this week. Considering also getting a new set of centre caps

Just get them refurbed at the same time, no need to buy new unless you want to change them :thumb:

Great thread. As commented earlier in the thread, I'd seriously considered a similar 9967 turbo-based project with my own car but then made the leap into 997 GT3 last autumn.

I still watch this thread with interest. It is a superb project.

As for brakes, the 996 turbo is under-braked. In fact, the weight difference to a GT3, once the electric seats are removed (as the OP has done) is not that much, so up-rating the brakes is a must, to get the ultimate track setup.

Few little updates to the car...

Decided to have the wheels done in a custom Gun Metal... was really nervous about this.. have seen some good gunmetal finishes.. and some less good. Car needs a wash but results speak for themselves!

Also had the wheel, gear knob & gaiter & handbrake retrimmed by Royal Steering Wheels.

Wheel is done in half leather / half alcantara.. other parts in alcantara. Reason for leather in wheel is better wear rate, and it blends better with the airbag

Really pleased with how she looks now... individual I know, and maybe not to everyones taste. I love her though, think she looks purposeful without being over the top.. and everything is reversible!

Was going to buy some new brakes.. but just purchased a 944 S2... so that's on hold :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back