Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New wheels turned into new car!

abcarrera

A few weeks back I came across an add on here for some Fuchs wheels, I have been wanting to change the look of my early C2 and have always loved the Fuchs design! all my early 911's and my Carrera GT had them so I desperately wanted them on my 996. I know it's a marmite thing and it open to debate on thier suitability style wise on later cars but I love them and that's all that matters to me. EGTE was advertising a set which had been the first set to go on the CLR build but due to suspension redesign they then did not fit due to offset issues with his desired setup, so Richard sold them and then EGTE no longer wanted them so I snapped them up, it was great to think I was going to have some seriously well engineered wheels off of an amazing car and a few kilos per corner lighter too.
After reading back over a thread on PH's when cmoose road tested EGTE's car and then re-tested once he had some very trick suspension fitted I became very interested in that setup and then enquired about the EXE-TC setup! They came off a Cup car that had seen action at Sebring and then came via a fully factory re-fresh to EGTE's car. Further discussion led to the possibility of purchasing them which I was very keen to do. Then the suggestion was put forward why not just buy the whole car!
Guess what?
I DID 😎

So a quick flight from Norwich down to Exeter for a wallet busting £35
50 minutes later I was there welcomed by glorious sunshine. As I left the terminal building and walking to the car park I heard the unmistakable sound of a 911 and what a fantastic looking car!
Introductions made we went on a rather extended drive from airport to EGTE's home. Now I have been very fortunate in that, including my wife's Boxster S, 14 P cars have come and gone over the years, I have done numerous road trips and lots of circuit action in U.K. Germany & Belgium in Porsche and many other marques including single seaters and even lucky enough to have driven a couple of F1 cars. I have experienced a fare amount of hard suspension setups which have probably not helped with the Athritis I now have, but I have never experienced anything close to the amazing ride the EXE-TC's provide, dare I say it they bloody comfortable! With no crash bang wallop but this car handled like the well known cliche (being on rails) but it's true they are something very special!
As was the rest of the car, it a real credit to EGTE and his obvious passion and care he has lavished on the car during his ownership. Suffice to say it was an easy decision to buy the car. EGTE patiently waited while I connected to WiFi to make the transfer of funds then arranging the Insurance and the tax I was generously furnished with tea and a cappuccino (caffeine hit for pending journey) with everything packed away into the car and final checks made that he had not left anything in his now ex car, directions given I started the 310 mile drive home. After averaging mid 50's mph and 32mpg, 1 stop for greasy food and red bull plus a splash and dash 15 miles from home I arrived 5hrs 20mins later feeling actually really good!
The car has a ga-zillion dead critters adjourning the bumper and lovely Fuchs are mostly black she has earnt a good wash, but it is rather sunny this morning so will wait till the sun goes off the car.

So then there were 3! - well 4 if I count my workhorse 535.
Boxster S
535d Msport

Needless to say I can't justify the 3.4 C2 anymore so she will be going up for sale in the near future. The wife is feeling left out and is making lots of noise about changing her Boxster which she has owned for 10 years. (She talking of deserting the brand!!!! And going for an SL) what can I say!!!

But one thing is for sure is that I am excited about discovering more about the fantastic ride and balance that the EXE-TC's offer on this car.
Meanwhile she does look rather good on her Fuch's which was the original point of the excercise. 😂😂

I would like to thank EGTE for his and his wife's hospitality whilst I was at thier home, plus the numerous emails, txts and calls he answered with my many enquiries about the car.

She will be well looked after 👍😊

I have not got any photos of my own yet but here are a couple during EGTE's ownership.

Attachments

• 3cfd70e5_9f1e_4c80_b536_e50de3cac198_140.jpeg
    3cfd70e5_9f1e_4c80_b536_e50de3cac198_140.jpeg
    930.9 KB · Views: 2,810
  • 2f6c77c2_5e7b_4dcd_afa0_abb1e92d037d_893.jpeg
    2f6c77c2_5e7b_4dcd_afa0_abb1e92d037d_893.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 2,810
abcarrera said:
Then the suggestion was put forward why not just buy the whole car!
Guess what?
I DID 😎

LEGEND :worship:

Great write up :thumb:

The car sounds fantastic, top job.

MC

Great story! There can't be too many cars on EXC-TC suspension out there, so that makes you one very lucky and very smart chap! 8)

great write up , enjoy the car :thumb:

Top man. Well done.

The 'Atomic transaction" I call it. One small purchase triggers lots of other purchases until it's 'all in" :)

Very nice to meet you, Tony and I'm really happy she's gone to a great home, especially if it helps you enjoy 911s for longer with that suspension.

Sorry to leave the Porsche fold, but as you know I've moved to a Lotus Evora (friend needed a cash injection for his business) and cannot run both.

All the best and good luck to you all, Russ. :thumb:

5751511b48e83_20160603_162012-2(Large).jpg.80dad1a7c963e9aa7da03068dc942ba1.jpg

Great story and pleasure to read.

Good luck with the new car, and sale of the 3.4. With the spec it is, there will be a few enthusiastic buyers I'm sure

:thumb:

All the best of luck EGTE. Lotus are brilliant cars too. Really enjoyed by S1 Elise.

Jamesx19 said:
All the best of luck EGTE. Lotus are brilliant cars too. Really enjoyed by S1 Elise.

Thanks, James :thumb:

Have to say, I am falling for the Evora big time. But then, it is very similar in many ways to the 996.

Cheers. :bye:

Cracking car. Great move that. Enjoy it. :thumb:

EG, enjoy the Evora. Lovely colour. We'll maybe see you still pop in here from time to time. :thumb:

I will keep a quiet eye out on all you maniacs, yes. :D :thumb:

EGTE said:
Very nice to meet you, Tony and I'm really happy she's gone to a great home, especially if it helps you enjoy 911s for longer with that suspension.

Sorry to leave the Porsche fold, but as you know I've moved to a Lotus Evora (friend needed a cash injection for his business) and cannot run both.

All the best and good luck to you all, Russ. :thumb:

5751511b48e83_20160603_162012-2(Large).jpg.80dad1a7c963e9aa7da03068dc942ba1.jpg

Nice Lotus. Great colour. I will have one, one day. Hopefully it'll be before I get too old to get in and out of it.

Evora's really not hard to get into/out of at all, especially 4XX models.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back