Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speed Aweneness - self preservation

We have a different set up in that (apparently) only one in ten cameras are operational (they change them from time to time and the information is on the 'net), and they're signposted (as in 'this stretch of road has cameras'). They do seem to flash the 'flash harries' in the outside lane more often than that, but what do I know...

But the really tricky ones are the mobile cameras in unmarked vans, sometimes placed 1km up the road from a fixed site ... or in an acceleration zone, such as leaving the city.

I got lucky the other day, as I was flashed at 66kmh in a 60kmh zone (coming into a built up area). I was just too slow in slowing down. I got a warning letter, but no fine. I think they were being nice, as it wasn't a school day, and it was 06:57 in the morning, and I haven't had a ticket since I got pulled in a speed trap in 2001. Had I been doing 67kmh however, I might have been looking at a speeding ticket, which is around €120 nowadays. There isn't much tolerance. :cop:

cheshire911 said:
By the time you see a laser camera or your laser detector goes off, your speed has already been registered.

I was on M6 North recently around Carnforth/Lancaster J33/J34.
Steady 70mph. Long straight.

By the time I spotted a car on the bridge with a tripod mounted laser camera it would have been too late. He must have had his cross-hairs on my front number plate when I was almost a mile away from his bridge tripod-mounted laser camera.

Phew! I was at indicated 70mph so no issue. But a guy overtook me in lane 3 in a Jag F-type and he must have been at 90/95 mph.

The greatest risk is from unmarked cars and laser cameras.
Of the fixed cameras, I see so many people speeding in the Staffordshire section of M6 which is littered with HADECS cameras on the side of the pylons that catch all three or four lanes of speeding traffic. Perhaps people are not aware of these fixed cameras - even though they are now painted yellow from the previous camouflage grey.

I also see people speeding in the variable speed section on motorways with zones changing from 60 to 40 then back up to 50 to confuse motorists and sat navs still indicating 70 as speed limit on that section.

Trouble is you can't tell if it is ANPR or a speed camera but the driver reaction of standing on the brakes is the same. New speed cameras can also have red light detection in them as well.

Not just speed cameras these days, a lot of the yellow box junctions also have cameras to catch people :oops:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back