Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Revcounter malfunction.

pj964blue

Hi
Newbie on the forum so as they say...bear with!

Rev counter on my 964 tip is up to no good!
After about 3\4 of an hours driving it suddenly dips to zero, then bumps along the bottom or even just sits there. Sometimes it shoots up again with a touch of throttle and sometimes if I give it throttle when it's sitting at about 2000rpm it actually dives DOWN to the zero again! Totally random and of course won't do it to order! The following morning back to normal!
I do have Julian Reap on the case but as it's already been through his hands to his man in Holland and six months later it's pulling the same trick he's scratching his head a bit.
Anyone else had the same or very similar problem?

Cheers.

can be a sign sign your alternator is on its way out, need to check the brushes/regulator/output

Thanks Gazc2, hadn't reckoned with that!
It's going in tomorrow for a fluid change and a new belt on the distributors - far as I can see it's never been done! - so I'll get the alternator checked too.

Had it checked out at Steve Bulls earlier this week, alternator seems fine, distributor feed to revcounter fine although some slightly dodgy wiring from the dizzy has now been rectified.
After a couple of 1 hour plus trips however its stopped misbehaving! Typical but not complaining. That's cars for you!

I've got a mint standard rev counter 964/993 if you need a replacement. Rubicon coloured dial which you'd need to swap out for black or go for a bold colour for contrast. £150 :thumb:

Thanks for the offer Zingari, but not only is it a tip but with OBC as well. That part is all OK.
So for the moment still work in progress.
Thanks again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back