Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Speakers ... Again!

New Focal door speakers fitted. I was a bit annoyed with the garage because they didn't replace the tweeters - at the sake of forsaking originality, I took the view that I would rather have better sound, especially if I have already paid for it!

Should be getting car back later.

I fitted my new ( cheap ) blaupunkt 2 ways's last night .

Bit of a ball ache ... cut off the sockets from the original and made up a new ' loom ' so I can now connect any speaker in teh future. Speaker fitted perfect but the covers had the holes out of place, so like the example on previous page, I cut out th eoriginal speaker mounting ring & used this so I could fit original covers. All done for about £30 incl the speakers :D Looks original & sounds much better . Still running with original blaupunkt tapedeck header so wasn't after anything too flash

hudat said:
I did front and rears when I did my interior sound deadening in 2016.
Fronts - JBL GTO 508 C 2 ways (13cm)
Rears - JBL GTO 6429 4x2's

Total price from Amazon was £104!

I'm not going to win any 'sound-offs" but the originals were done and for me they are good enough. Really tiny adjustments to the grilles to fit but a really easy upgrade.

To be honest, stereo is off when I'm on it, for cruising and motorways they're just fine...

I have the M490 option on my car with the bigger door pocket thingys. If I'm going to replace them with something new, would these work or what should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance

adrian993 said:
hudat said:
I did front and rears when I did my interior sound deadening in 2016.
Fronts - JBL GTO 508 C 2 ways (13cm)
Rears - JBL GTO 6429 4x2's

Total price from Amazon was £104!

I'm not going to win any 'sound-offs" but the originals were done and for me they are good enough. Really tiny adjustments to the grilles to fit but a really easy upgrade.

To be honest, stereo is off when I'm on it, for cruising and motorways they're just fine...

I have the M490 option on my car with the bigger door pocket thingys. If I'm going to replace them with something new, would these work or what should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance

I did a rough pictorial of how I did mine if you want a copy? It wasn't a big job at the time but I had already removed the interior for sound deadening...

Let me know
:)

Yes please re the pictorial. I would like to replace the front speakers but have no knowledge of speaker wiring beyond the simple two wire setup, crossovers and so on so am a bit baffled as to what's required.

Yes a pictorial or what speakers (size spec) I should be going for is very useful.

Is there anything special about the M490 rear shelf speakers that need to replace with or will any 4x6" do?

pierrebear said:
Cool. Thanks, hopey. I'll go for them in that case - going to get them installed by a local chap in Jersey along with rears too hopefully. I'll be happy with just a little bit of bass without crackling to be fair!!

How did you get on installing the speakers from carnewal? Just got a set and they are clearly not direct replacements. They are a reasonable price and a quality make (Helix). However new holes need to be drilled so I'm just looking at a template. Tbh I thought these would be the easiest fit but I might as well end up taking the door card off and putting in some extra sound padding... these jobs always take much longer than expected!

H0ME said:
pierrebear said:
Cool. Thanks, hopey. I'll go for them in that case - going to get them installed by a local chap in Jersey along with rears too hopefully. I'll be happy with just a little bit of bass without crackling to be fair!!

How did you get on installing the speakers from carnewal? Just got a set and they are clearly not direct replacements. They are a reasonable price and a quality make (Helix). However new holes need to be drilled so I'm just looking at a template. Tbh I thought these would be the easiest fit but I might as well end up taking the door card off and putting in some extra sound padding... these jobs always take much longer than expected!

So, I only bought the rear Hi-Fi option speakers from Gert. For the fronts I went with some Focal units and ended up getting a local audio shop to replace door speakers, tweeters and cross overs. Those seemed to fit quite well and apparently didn't require any messing around - they even managed to use the original tweeter speaker housing units so the system looks relatively stock.

Sorry for being a Luddite - how does one resize photos or upload iPhone pics??

Pics of Carnewal speakers

Some pics of my old Nokia speakers and the new ones fitted - Helix E 6X2

Attachments

• a486d2be_ebc3_4640_87e7_4e1410bd4939_364.jpeg
    a486d2be_ebc3_4640_87e7_4e1410bd4939_364.jpeg
    616.2 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 83d47586_2cd6_42d7_83e3_344faa6414fb_195.jpeg
    83d47586_2cd6_42d7_83e3_344faa6414fb_195.jpeg
    674.6 KB · Views: 1,034

Forum statistics

Threads
Members