Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Marky911 said:
Great progress.

Thanks for documenting the sunroof removal. I've a new seal to fit around mind so that will be a massive help. :thumb:

Can I remove the inner and outer panels without removing my main piece surrounding headlining? Or is that part of the job too?

If I understand the question correctly, you can remove the inner and outer panels without removing the headlining.

MC

As most of the interior that I need to remove is out, apart from the seats which were left in so that the brake could be operated, I have moved on to removing some of the suspension. I will be changing all suspension arms, fitting solid mounts on the rear subframe and possibly changing the wheel bearings (as a whilst I'm in there job). With the brakes on the centre nuts were loosened, at least the front ones were, even with the brakes applied the rear wheels would spin so wheels were put back on and the car dropped down.

Calipers and disks removed, all hand brake mechanism removed with a photo taken so I know where bits go.

I managed to use of one of the splitters on the control arm, I had to use a pickle fork on the bottom arm which damaged the boots, but they won't be used.

One of the tubes in the back of the hub for the handbrake snapped off, so I need to get that removed from the hub somehow. I had to cut the cable to remove it but the cable was damaged anyway so will be replaced.

When driveshafts all came out easily with a smack of a mallet on the end of the shaft to loosen them, not like on the last car I removed the hubs on.

Both hubs removed and ready to be used for making up a bracket for modified rear callipers.

One of the speed sensors is stuck solid, so that will need moving at some point as well.
Next job is to remove the subrames.

MC

Great work Martin and yes that's exactly what I was asking in my rather long winded and unclear post. :grin:

Thanks. I'll be doing it this weekend or next. :thumb:

The tubes just press in. Try putting a little heat on it - shouldn't take much. If you really have to take it out, grab it with some vise grips and twist it back and forth. New tubes are cheap...

The problem is that the tube has snapped pretty much flush with the edge of the hub. I'm sure I'll get it out one way or another.
MC

I'm sure I'll sort it out, I only had a play with it for 5 minutes, either a grinder grinder or a jigsaw blade should get in there.

MC

Front diff, propshaft, and driveshafts out next.

Support the gearbox with a transmission jack, unbolt and remove the transmission support and then put the bolts back in to hold the transmission in place.

Transmission support will be cleaned up and painted before it goes back:

At the front of the car, remove the two diagonal supports,

Then remove the two support straps and the underbody cover, one strap already removed here:

Undo the 6 bolts holding on each driveshaft to the diff and remove the bolts, the front axle needs to be stopped from turning when this is done.

Undo the three bolts holding the propshaft to the output flange, pull out the propshaft from the diff housing

Strap the diff housing to the jack to support it

Undo the centre support, removing the plastic pipe support bracket from it

Undo the rear bolts and remove the studs

Lower the unit on the jack, being careful of the coolant pipes

Front driveshafts can then be removed. Collection of parts, the straps will be cleaned up and put back on with the cover

Underside with the diff removed, diagonals put back in place so I don't forget them

MC

I have had a bit of a poke around on it, nothing too bad but there is some surface rust over a few areas underneath, particularly around some of the seams and at the back of the sills. Currently my plan is to take the front wings off, then I can give the area around the arches a good clean up, then clean underneath, put some suspension back on, take the roof off, it will then go to the bodyshop who will attack and treat any other rust, waxoyl inside the sills, treat the underside of the car, and then fit new wings and roof and paint the car.

MC

I have taken the rear subframe off to clean it all up and to fit the GT3 solid mounts.

The subframe is held on by three studs / nuts on each side. Before taking these off remove the ARB if still fitted, also remove the diagonal braces on each side. A bolt at each end, a nut on the top, and a press fit bush in to the subframe

Make sure that the calipers are tied up out of the way. Remove the bracket holding the brake pipes on to the subframe.

Undo/remove the aluminium brace. Not essential as it only fits on the subframe, so I just loosened mine.

Support the subframe and undo the nuts/studs to lower it.

A couple of pipes are clipped on to the subframe just here, remove the clip. Always good to lower things slowly to look out for things like this.

One pretty naked looking back end of the car.

And a collection of parts which used to be the subframe.

Three of the eccentric bolts are proving buggers to remove, I will probably resort to a hacksaw but at least I can get the parts in a vice to make it much easier than doing it on the car.

I also managed to get the wheel speed sensor out, although it did take about 5 tons before it started to move.

I am getting to the point where I will have a bunch of parts to stick on eBay now to clear up the garage.

MC

Looking like a "proper job"

Your making me feel I have skimped on my tidy up and refresh MC!!!

Loads of pictures which is great. Keep up the good work, will be great to see where you go with it.

With the help of NXI20 I have ordered a bunch of suspension parts this afternoon. They will be coming from the US so might take some time. Whilst I am waiting I will remove the rest of the front suspension and remove the front seats and carpets ready for the roof swap. I'll also be cleaning underneath to get rid of any rust I find as I go.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back