Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 Carrera 4

Ericf said:
Thanks for all of your replies and advice. The more I read the more my "bottle" starts to go! I'm not exactly a spanner man and haven't got much of a contingency fund for emergencies - is it any wonder the wife isn't keen on the idea!

These are great cars, but regardless of how good the one you eventually buy is, you need to keep something in reserve; any 996 is quite capable of throwing up a 4-figure bill at a moment's notice. Mine's been pretty reliable but even then I'm looking at maybe 6k in non-routine maintenance over the last three years, and just this morning it threw up a coolant level warning - needs two new rads. Best part of 6-700 quid just there, and that's on top of the £450 for two new rear tyres last week.

For me, it would significantly impact my enjoyment of the car if I was forever worrying about the next unexpected bill.

Some very valid points made. I certainly wouldn't buy without visiting the car personally. I did buy a bike this way but it was virtually brand new and I'd had the same model previously so a different scenario.

What is the issue about shirt journeys - simply not getting up to operating temp etc?

Re emergency fund, I would have a little in reserve but not huge amounts. Consumables like tyres etc I wouldn't buy the car if I couldn't cover those. I owned a boxster some years ago so have an idea of some of the associated costs. Never had a 911 though and my boxster was much newer!

It seems the negative factors of ownership at this current time are stacking up.

I suspect you already know that an ageing Porsche will always be a gamble (as will any other near 20 year old prestige car) and so you need to budget £2k/year for maintenance, but like many of us, you may well choose to spend a lot more. However, much of this expenditure may well be "offset" by the lack of depreciation/potential appreciation. There aren't a lot of car options at £20k that offer the special appeal of a 911 combined with zero depreciation.

A 986 Boxster will be a lot cheaper to buy, although cost similar to maintain, and good ones have stopped depreciating...just a thought.

Ericf said:
What is the issue about shirt journeys - simply not getting up to operating temp etc?

That and the fact that - as a general principle - some engine wear (bearing and bore wear) is associated with starting and stopping the engine before oil is circulating and pistons are 'floating". That's why starting the engine every few weeks when a car is laid up is likely to do more harm than good (imho).

Fastlane said:
However, much of this expenditure may well be "offset" by the lack of depreciation/potential appreciation. There aren't a lot of car options at £20k that offer the special appeal of a 911 combined with zero depreciation.

Exactly this, I bought a Cayman 4 years ago as I got scared off a 996. I recently sold my Cayman for £4k less than I paid for it, whilst the entry level for a 996 appears to have increased by about £4k in the interim. Broadly, I 'lost' £8k in depreciation/appreciation by not buying the 996 in the first place.

PS loved the Cayman but glad to be in a 996 now

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back