Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Prices Gen 2

Geezer 911

Silverstone
Evening all

Lately I have noticed there are alot of Gen 2 Carrera S PDKs under the £40k mark. Has the bubble finally burst and we are beginning to see the back sides fall out of these vehicles?

OR the beginning of the end for some of the profiteering and a slight reduction in grossly overpriced cars. Some of the high milers are definitely coming down substantially in price, and even the low miler minters don't seem to be shifting.

Has there been a similar drop in 991.1 prices?
As T8 says, good low mileage examples will always command a premium :thumbs:

I dont think the gen2 had got to the bottom of the depreciation curve yet so we are probably just seeing it find its level which I suspect is around 38/40k about 8/10k more than a gen1 the gap will always be smaller between a mint high spec gen1 and a leggy low spec gen2 but 10k gap between like for like gen1 and 2 seems about right and is a similar gap between like for like 996.2 and 997.1. The continuing depreciation of the 991.1 will also play a factor in suppressing the prices until it finds its level which should also be 10k more than a like for like 997.2. so around 48/50k . The really interesting bit is yet to come and thats what will happen to the prices of the proper engined 911s when the nasty 3ltr turbo thing starts to depreciate will the 3ltr turbo become a not wanted or liked car in which case they will end up cheaper than older proper engined cars or will the eco warriors like it and keep its prices buoyant. It will be an interesting few years watching how that pans out. :thumb:

Gen2 Carreras did bottom out in value about three years ago but in line with all 911 variants they then bounced back. The trend was most noticeable with the C4S with good spec, low mileage cars going berserk for a while. The pattern meant that the 991 didn't depreciate as much as any previous Carrera in it's first 5 years of model life.

In the last year it seems that everything has settled back down and cars are finding a level with distinct price bands for ordinary (average spec, average mileage) cars. As always the cross-over points are blurred by lower and higher mileage cars.

Hardly a bubble burst, they barely crept back over £40k, so a little under is no big deal or bad thing.

997.2 Carreras have barely moved in price over 4+ years if anybody sat out waiting for the bubble to burst they have seriously missed out. But they can keep waiting if they want.

Meanwhile the rest of us...

I brought my old PDK Coupe two years ago for 26K, so there are some bargains about.

Paid £33k for my 997.2 Carrera PDK with 66k miles in May.

Very good value I think.

When I bought mine (2011 Gen 2 PDK C2, 33k miles) it was partly with an eye on residuals, I admit. My thinking was this: last of the "drivers" naturally aspirated flat 6's, prettier then a 991 (IMO) and simpler, too. Will hold its value because they aren't making them any more.
So I'm hoping they hold their prices (I paid £38k) because that's what icons do, no?
Anyway, whatever, it's great fun to drive and that's what really matters.

Les said:
I brought my old PDK Coupe two years ago for 26K, so there are some bargains about.

Wow. I've not seen anything that cheap. If I did I'd buy it now rather than wait until October.

Phil 997 said:
I dont think the gen2 had got to the bottom of the depreciation curve yet so we are probably just seeing it find its level which I suspect is around 38/40k about 8/10k more than a gen1 the gap will always be smaller between a mint high spec gen1 and a leggy low spec gen2 but 10k gap between like for like gen1 and 2 seems about right and is a similar gap between like for like 996.2 and 997.1. The continuing depreciation of the 991.1 will also play a factor in suppressing the prices until it finds its level which should also be 10k more than a like for like 997.2. so around 48/50k . The really interesting bit is yet to come and thats what will happen to the prices of the proper engined 911s when the nasty 3ltr turbo thing starts to depreciate will the 3ltr turbo become a not wanted or liked car in which case they will end up cheaper than older proper engined cars or will the eco warriors like it and keep its prices buoyant. It will be an interesting few years watching how that pans out. :thumb:

interesting to visit this thread in 2022.

anymore thoughts on 997.2 vs 991.1 prices in this market right now

so it seems that 997.2 S did bottom out then, and around 48-50k with 991.1 being 60-62k

dng said:
interesting to visit this thread in 2022.

anymore thoughts on 997.2 vs 991.1 prices in this market right now

so it seems that 997.2 S did bottom out then, and around 48-50k with 991.1 being 60-62k

The last 4 years have been interesting but you've misread what Phil 997 posted and the prices that were being discussed.

In 2018 and 2019 values of the base 997.2 were capped by the slowly depreciating 991.1 with late, lowish mileage 997.2s eventually settling down in the low £40ks and early 991.1s at under £50k. Equivalent 'S' models of each were at least £5k more.

In 2021 demand shot up and values rose again to just over where they are now. Ordinary cars were fetching the same sort of money as good cars were 2 years before.

I like to watch whats happening on the continent and the USA as indicators of what's happening. It seems like the US are in the very early stages of a deprecition cycle on the 997.2's. 991s I'm not sure. EU seems to have plateaued

FZP said:
I like to watch whats happening on the continent and the USA as indicators of what's happening. It seems like the US are in the very early stages of a deprecition cycle on the 997.2's. 991s I'm not sure. EU seems to have plateaued

Is that your way of justifying offloading yours cheap :?:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back