Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lifting the seat on C2

alfazagato

Silverstone
I must not be the Teutonic standard size because my bum is too low in the furthest rearmost position of the seat which I have to adopt to comfortably use the pedals. Has anyone found/constructed permanent spacers between the floor and seat rails?

I can't believe that you are all perfectly matched to the driving position in a 996 (I don't know about the the variants) but Italian cars, British cars are both fine for me. Someone must have the same problem that is dramatically diminishing my pleasure.

Raiseing the seat would be a little problematic due to the front bolt being at a 45 degree angle with the rear bolt being straight.

Anything that raised the rear section say a plate under the runners would probably mean the front bolt would no longer fit .

Im not sure if the seat itself could be spaced out on the runner as its not something ive every tryed or looked at ..

I will how ever have a look the next time i have a seat out and see if theres any obvious and simple ways of doing it .

Yes, that's the point. My Daytona has the same 45 degree front bolt pattern so what's so special about a 996......alternatively, who would like a kit to raise the seat? I have in mind a four piece kit which raises the existing runners but uses the existing chassis threaded inserts. The rear bolt being just being replaced with a longer item. Let me know if you are Teutonically challenged.

You could very easily make up some spacers to go between the runners & the seat.

That's what I thought..... but the front mounting bolt is on an angle .....so the simple solution of spacers does not work.

Sundayjumper said:
You could very easily make up some spacers to go between the runners & the seat.

Read ^ that again.

Not between floor & runners. Between runners & seat.

A possible solution but you will need to remove the seat and see if it can be done .. untill i have a seat out im not even going to be able to look and that may be a while .

This is for a Comfort seat which i assume you have and the problem is the lift mechism .. there just doesnt seem to be an easy place to put a spacer .

After studying the diagram then this is the best i can come up with for now .. A spacer under the plate indicated by the arrows.

i do agree though .. ive not seen anyone mention this before and you think people would have but once a problem is raised ill have a go at finding an answer .. downside is sometimes that takes ages as im paid to fix these cars and not find solutions :(

Diagram link here ..

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=25&TBL=2702&SMA=&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Attachments

• 817_18_157.gif
    817_18_157.gif
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,830
Mechanic, Thanks for your reply....the seats are Sports seats option 375/6 but, from what I could see, the mechanism is broadly similar. I did look at the location between the rear tilt bracket and the top runner but felt that there would be a lot of engineering to get a strong fixing. That's why I opted for the vertical lift of the whole assembly and a solution to the front bolt problem. Great to have your further thoughts when you have a moment.

Sports seats list a with and without height adjuster .. you do have the adjustor dont you as if not then you need it :)

Ok the problem is you need to raise the entire seat and not just the rear .

If we fit any kind of spacer under the seat runners we have a problem with the bolts no longer lining up due to the front one being at an angle .

It can still be done but youll need an engineering firm .. Alex Yates springs to mind here :D

Im thinking a full length spacer under the runners , angled for the front hole but with elongated holes for the rear bolts .

My idea is basically an inch by the full length of the runners and about a half inch raise piece of steel .. 45 degree angle at the front and an elongated hole for the rear so over an inch to be safe.

As its solid steel there will be no safety issues .

The downside to this .. it will move the seat further forwards by about half an inch and you will also need to source longer bolts .. these are Torx so that might be a problem .

Btw .. im deMort .. Mechanic is what i do :D

That is something along the lines I was thinking. Thank you deMort for your thoughts. I will keep you posted on my progress and for anyone else who has this problem.

Am I talking to myself here ? For the third time: you could very easily make up some spacers to go between the runners & the seat.

They'd go where demort indicated with the arrows, and also between parts 10 & 11 on the same diagram.

Sundayjumper, from the knowing way in which you have replied suggests that you have done this modification or something similar already.....is that correct? If so could let me have details. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back