Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who runs an electric daily?

coullstar

Im thinking about this more and more. I hate diesels, with a passion but do own two at the moment as daily cars. A VW T5 (so no choice on diesel) and 10 year old Seat Leon.

I do believe these are the sort of cars that will be crapped on from a great height soon so looking at an exit strategy. I really don't mind the idea of a daily electric car so Im looking for feedback from anyone that has done something similar.

The daily is only really me commuting on a A & B roads 20miles one way trip and then it pretty much sits there until I go home and not used until next day. There is occasional visits into city centre during working day which again there is talk of congestion style charges eventually coming in. I need a 5dr hatch, Golf size.

I need to look into the actual economics of it but it would be good to hear from a practicality view.

Im also wondering about the T5 as well as I cant ever see us without one of them so will be looking at alternatives with that. They are now selling petrol turbo version which will give close to 300bhp with a simple remap and fuel economy on par with what we currently get out ours.

Anyone else close to jumping on the electric bandwagon?

I'm very tempted as I can charge for free at work.

I was looking at the e up!, Before that a leaf.

But then it would render my 996 useless as I only use my 996 for commuting.

I would want a car with an owned, not leased battery,no point in leasing the battery they rarely fail.

You could do much worse than a golf GTE

wasz said:
You could do much worse than a golf GTE

Have a look at this first

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/r...hybrid-cars-can-t-match-their-advertised-mpg/

Golf GTE

Easy to drive, comfortable and wonderfully refined, the Volkswagen Golf GTE has lots going in its favour. Unfortunately, when it comes to on-the-road fuel economy, the plug-in Golf falters with poor Real MPG scores. Indeed, against its official 156mpg, the Golf fails by returning just 38 per cent of its advertised economy.

I used one daily for years but gave it up when i retired from the milk round.
Cheers
Ernie

We have a Leaf in the 'fleet' - its an older version that does 80 miles on a charge but its surprisingly really good ! Mainly used for short journeys, school run, shopping etc and we have plenty of super charge points near us (specifically at the wife's gym) so has only spent £12 charging at home in the last 6 months :thumbs: It has great connectivity, heated seats, heated steering wheel, CVT transmission, can work the climate control from the app and is pretty nippy from 0 to 30.....

We kept the Disco 4 for longer journeys as required......I off course use the 993 in summer and Hemi jeep in winter just to counteract the environmental benefits :grin:

I also run a T5. I also believe sooner or later I am going to get hammered for driving a dirty diesel. For me though I can't for the life of me see a petrol engine doing 40+ to the gallon in a big heavy van. If you read the reviews for the petrol engines VW are putting in their vans they don't get any where near the diesels for MPG .

I am also considering the electric route. My plan is when my daughter passes her test to get her one (as long as the Insurance doesn't kill the plan). Then I can see how good they are for myself :thumbs:

I only get 30mpg out the T5 so petrol won't be much worse.

I like the idea of a 300bhp dsg van!

I'm all for electric only daily, just got to do some calcs on running costs etc.
Golf GTE would be the sort of thing for me and I dare say most won't get near claimed figures.

Have a word with Mr Sinclair not quite a C2 but a C5 wow :D

coullstar said:

I'm all for electric only daily, just got to do some calcs on running costs etc.
Golf GTE would be the sort of thing for me and I dare say most won't get near claimed figures.

I can get near to 40mpg out of my T5 at work.Mind you its only the 102 but actual performs quite well with 50k on the clock.
What a van though. :worship:

I've been pestering the wife to have a Nissan Leaf given her daily journey is c10miles but she refuses to have an automatic :pc:

coullstar said:

Is it poorly :puh: I have a sportline 180 that does 40mpg all day long 44 if I take it steady. It does drop off a bit in the cold but not to much. Or do you drive it like a 911 to make it drink the diesel :floor:

I must admit it was the wife's idea for the T5 as we have dogs. I wouldn't tell her but the most practical vehicle we have ever owned. Also very easy to drive . I always let the wife drive the Porsche when the gearbox is cold . That way she hates driving it and gets back in her van :puh:

Missus drives it most of the time. It does get worked yes....
It runs fine with no issues. Just older diesel tech.

Might just hold.onto it and get it retro converted to electric, I can see that as being an emerging market.

Zingari said:
I've been pestering the wife to have a Nissan Leaf given her daily journey is c10miles but she refuses to have an automatic :pc:

Just get her to drive one.

Not like an auto at all. One gear! Loads of torque.

So so good and perfect for 90% of the population.

Use the app to have the car pre warmed and defrosted in winter.

Never have to visit a petrol station again, or do a dirty oil change.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back