Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ohlins, KW or Bilstein coilover 996 turbo

All of my suspension components have been changed in the last 18 months. The rear dampers were refurbished at Bilstein UK, which initially made a difference. However, the single best change to all of the components was a change of the front diagonal arms, which really smoothed the bumps out.

So far I'm impressed, will let you know how this kit feels in a few miles.

But I do wonder how good it would have felt with totally fresh M030 kit all round. My gut instinct is that Ohlins would be a decent step above.

charandhindsa said:
astonboy said:
Ive just fitted ohlins to my TT. Ive run Gt3s in the last with KWs and I think H&R? Although different cars, I have to say that subjectively Ohlins are the very best. If anyone is doing their own set up I have some, errrr, baseline set up data I can share. Think I sent into to COBRAS whom I messaged the other day thinking he was Alex!!! sadly I also put XXX at the end of the text so n o wonder hes not replied!

Any pictures of how she is sitting chap?
Anyone that seems to choose Ohlins waxes lyrical...what has formed such a view given your experience with alternate products?

Ohlins feel more compliant and ride better tha other set ups. That said they are on on a road car and the other set ups were for track cars so its difficlt to be objective. That said I had to quite a bit of fiddling with others whereas base settings with Ohlins were almost perfect. The only change im making is stiffening rears up.

Id love to send you pictures but forum says picture quality to high :roll:

Great write up Mike. I'm so pleased you are happy with the setup!

911tom said:

I blame you for costing me 4 grand, Tom! You were the one who pushed the ball over the top of the ledge and set it rolling :grin:
There are still some areas where I feel the M030 is better, but all of these are 'very bumpy road' related, but for 85% of the time the Ohlins is way above the stock kit.

Some measurements for Charan; ground to front arch at highest point 25.00"
Ground to rear wheel arch 25.5". The height has settled a little since first fitment.

Hi Mike - glad you finally went for the ohlins

WRT the harshness you felt initially this is not unusual I found my Ohlins took time and mileage for the damping to settle.

On my first drive hit a mild bump mid corner and it launched the car similarly to what you experienced. after 500ish miles things settled down but still experienced some level of chassis jacking over bumps. After 1500ish miles they were spot on the high speed damping is now beautiful (thanks to the DFV) and had no probs riding the kerbs at the ring even when only about 500 miles in

At no point did I adjust the damper settings which were set on the hard side for track use and i keep it the same on the road and i don't have any issues other than what one would expect given the spring rates/damper stiffness now

I would suggest that you get over 1k miles on them and retest at your original settings and let us know if it behaves differently

Mine's in to CG on Tue/Wed. I decided that I wouldn't compromise and have to replace parts later so I've bought all the parts I need for a full refresh:

Coffin arms
Forked arms
Inner and outer track rods (one inner was an advisory on the MoT)
Rear track rod arms
Ohlins (inc. remote rear adjusters so I can play with settings)
Front top mounts and bearings
Roll bar bushes
Sundry nuts, bolts and washers.

I didn't get the roll bar drop links (they are easy to change later if needed) or rear dog bones as they apparently rarely fail but aftermarket parts are not recommended and Porsche parts are expensive.

What I have just found out is that the large boxes that Ohlins come in will fit inside that car but they do fill up the rear seats! The frunk takes all the other parts and my travel bag will have to go on the passenger seat.

charandhindsa said:
Counter Of Beans said:
I've just bought Ohlins R&T coilovers for my 997.2 C2. Cheapest I could find was DC Performance, they cost me £2170 and they arrived inside one week.
I'll report back on fitting and performance in due course.

Any view on the Ohlins [ackage at this stage?

Sorry, only just seen this, apologies. I haven't fitted them yet. I'm waiting for my brake calipers to come back, then I'll book the car in at 9 excellence for a service and have them fit the Ohlins too. Report to follow, promise!

Manic996t said:
Hi Mike - glad you finally went for the ohlins

WRT the harshness you felt initially this is not unusual I found my Ohlins took time and mileage for the damping to settle.

On my first drive hit a mild bump mid corner and it launched the car similarly to what you experienced. after 500ish miles things settled down but still experienced some level of chassis jacking over bumps. After 1500ish miles they were spot on the high speed damping is now beautiful (thanks to the DFV) and had no probs riding the kerbs at the ring even when only about 500 miles in

At no point did I adjust the damper settings which were set on the hard side for track use and i keep it the same on the road and i don't have any issues other than what one would expect given the spring rates/damper stiffness now

I would suggest that you get over 1k miles on them and retest at your original settings and let us know if it behaves differently

Hi Manic, great to have you back aboard, your input on threads like this is most welcome.

Yes, the chassis jacking (great way to put it) is still there after 300+ miles, I really hope this trait disappears in time. To give other members a feel for what we mean here, imagine a blood-hound's nose following a scent, the nose of the car tracks the ground in a similar manner. The nose follows the road profile meaning that the driver ends up doing the same.

The fact that this trait settled over time is music to my ears, though even after 300 miles they have noticeably got better in this respect. I'm currently on 15 out on the front, 17 on the rear, but think that on track I will set them to around 4-5. If only our local roads were in better condition I would run the dampers a lot tighter at all times, as at 10, they were still plenty soft on smoother roads.

I also have no doubt that the suspension will give me 3-4 second a lap on track, such is the composure on smoother surfaces. The body roll is greatly reduced with the increased spring rates and better damping.

Mike

DynoMike said:
911tom said:

I blame you for costing me 4 grand, Tom! You were the one who pushed the ball over the top of the ledge and set it rolling :grin:
There are still some areas where I feel the M030 is better, but all of these are 'very bumpy road' related, but for 85% of the time the Ohlins is way above the stock kit.

Some measurements for Charan; ground to front arch at highest point 25.00"
Ground to rear wheel arch 25.5". The height has settled a little since first fitment.

Thanks!

Did anyone experience any clearance issues resulting from the new suspension setups?

Many variables involved i know (tyres, wheels, offsets etc..) I guess I ask the question as the wheels I intend to run are 19's as opposed to OEM wheels...

Thanks!

charandhindsa said:
Did anyone experience any clearance issues resulting from the new suspension setups?

Many variables involved i know (tyres, wheels, offsets etc..) I guess I ask the question as the wheels I intend to run are 19's as opposed to OEM wheels...

Thanks!

19s or 18s is largely not important as the rolling radius should be the same, meaning the 19s will be lower profile tyres.
Its the offset that is important otherwise you will get rubbing, either on the arches or inside on the arch liners, so small wheel spacers may be required to get to perfection.
check out https://www.willtheyfit.com/ a great site that tells you what will and will not fit :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back