Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

France, Spain or Italy roadtrip?

Where?

• France, but be careful the car is not impounded for going 10kph over

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain, and join the ChipsAway VIP club

• Italy, do my bit for Unicef and let a few migrants sleep in the car while I'm in a hotel

• Total voters

tyinsky

Suzuka
I have a couple of weeks I can escape with in late August. 993 will have a run in and ready to go 3.8 engine rebuild and I want to go use it.

In and out over the mountains, maybe taking a few days each way. Day 1 and the last day I am happy to do a marathon on as I have many times before (Switzerland in a day etc). Will be with GF and dog so once I get wherever I am going I want to be able to use the car less and relax somewhere by a pool etc be that up in the mountains or down by the coast.

Over the Alps, down into Northern Italy, maybe head in the direction of Naples but my guess is everywhere will be overly busy at the time I go, which is not something I want. Something similar could be drawn with the Pyrenees and Spain.

Avoiding little cities where people treat cars like dodgems is high on my list.

Any experience or suggestions?

Ty, I would suggest driving the shortest distance across France to either Spain or Italy, and would recommend Spain as - the roads are quite a lot smoother than Italian ones; the standard of driving there is I feel better and a bit more relaxed (the Italians often seem to have something to prove when they see a badge like ours);the Spanish Police do not seem seem to have quite the same fanatical anti speed fetish that the Gendarmes have in France (although they can be a bit funny about crossing double white lines).

Think about heading down to the Costa Brava, just into Spain below Perpignan and above Barcelona. Some great twisty roads, nice hotels and the Med to look at and dip a toe in!
Rick

I am doing two or three weeks around France. Roads are empty and great, don't speed through town and villages (this applies to ALL countries, including UK), dont drive like a tw@t and you will be fine.

Gorgeous scenery, great weather, decent culture.

The downside will be when you return to blighty after the tunnel, and return to solid traffic. You will want to turn round and go back again.

I have a feeling the driving is a lot better in Europe. No one sits on the outside lane. Everyone overtakes and goes back to the inside lane. When I was in Belgium the one time there was a long line of cars in the outside lane was becasue there was a british car just sitting in the outside lane, oblivious to the line of cars behind him.

Switzerland in a day!!! I thought about splitting it into two days. I wonder if the Mrs would be OK to do it in a day :?:

I like the idea of a drive to Northern Italy. The Duomo in Milan is beautiful. Ravenna is off the beaten track and boasts quite a few unexpected treasures, and is not too far from Maranello and Imola.

PeterS said:
I am doing two or three weeks around France. Roads are empty and great, don't speed through town and villages (this applies to ALL countries, including UK), dont drive like a tw@t and you will be fine.

The downside will be when you return to blighty after the tunnel, and return to solid traffic. You will want to turn round and go back again.

Wise words from Peter. :thumbs:

Also, in my previous experience, apart from Paris, anywhere in France is safer than Italy with revards to road/car discipline. Italy's roads are like being stuck in a wasp's nest.

PeterS said:

Not disagreeing with any of that Peter. I have always been a stickler for sticking to speed limits in any built up area. The snag is that in the old days (up to about five or six years ago) you could enjoy those 'empty and great' roads, especially the D Roads, many of which are miles from anywhere and completely deserted, and just have lots of fun driving quite fast, but defo not like a tw@t! Today you could easily swing round a corner and get zapped by a temporary roadside speed gadget, manned by gendarmes. Anything more that 10kph over the speed limit (which is 80kph - just 50 mph - on D Roads from July 1st) will get you in BIG trouble. Big, fine, car confiscated or even both. Back in the day we never saw police on D Roads. It is a bit of a witch hunt sadly these days in la belle France.
Rick

Get thee to the Spanish side of the Pyrenees ........ virtually empty roads which are in fine fettle ....... I was there recently ...... it was fantastic ...... :)

Obviously I'm biased but having just got back from 1500Km round trip taking in Granada, Serville and then Cortoba I would recomend Spain, the roads were fantastic and not a lot of traffic. I didn't see another 993 only a 991 which over took me at great speed :lol: driving to Serville. He was in a hurry I wasn't and 140Kph was good enough for me with the top down. :thumb:

ATB :)

Last summer I went to the Douro Valley in Portugal. It was wonderful and not at all crowded. Taking the economy ferry to Santander was an experience because there was literally nothing to do for 33 hours. A great way to wind down if you are tired and stressed from work.

I pretty well followed a route that was written up in Total 911 magazine written by the guy in a hat - Johnnie Tippler?

madalaa said:
Get thee to the Spanish side of the Pyrenees ........ virtually empty roads which are in fine fettle ....... I was there recently ...... it was fantastic ...... :)

This ^^^^^^^.

I go up to twice a year, 993 or motorbike. You'll be gutted when it's over and your back in Blighty desperate for another trip back.

Good for thought, northern Italy southern France and the Pyrenees especially on the French side (but I never go French side), can get very busy indeed during the month of August

Saying that, I'm off to Tuscany in the 993 this summer ..... if I don't sell it beforehand :)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Have spent much of this evening looking at possible hotels on that Mrs Smith site. When did the world get so expensive?!! Some decent options in Italy, I need to find some nice stuff in Spain/Pyrenees and compare it.

I love France for the Route Nationals, finding little unspoilt villages and having the plat du jour at a relais routiers. Over to Alsace then Germany (the Romantische Strasse) Heidelberg, Wurtzberg, Neuschwanstein, Austria a brief dip into northern Italy for the food. The rapidly back cos they drive like nutters and park like they have a Sherman tank (French as bad).
Great roads in Spain but it gets a bit hot.
Back though Provence, zig-zag the Pyrennes then back up the Atlantic coast to pick up a few choice bottles of wine.
Done it on the bike and in the 993 but next time it will probably be a camper van :sad:

We are going to Italy in a few weeks and taking in a few sights, passes and mountains!!

Rough idea of what we are doing - cant wait:
Home to Folkestone 107 miles

Calais to Dijon 359 miles

Dijon to Innertkirchen 219 miles

Innertkirchen to Cavallasca via Grimsel pass, Furke pass, Realp, and Gottardo pass (unknown mileage because of mountain passes)

Cavallasca to Castiglion Fiorentino, 277 miles

Castiglion Fiorentino to Lucca, 113 miles

Lucca to Riomaggiore, 61 miles

Riomaggiore to Ventimiglia 173 miles

Ventimiglia to Beaune, 412 miles

Beaune to Calais, 382 miles

hopeydaze said:
Last summer I went to the Douro Valley in Portugal. It was wonderful and not at all crowded. Taking the economy ferry to Santander was an experience because there was literally nothing to do for 33 hours. A great way to wind down if you are tired and stressed from work.

I pretty well followed a route that was written up in Total 911 magazine written by the guy in a hat - Johnnie Tippler?

Sounds interesting, any more route details to save me trying to find an old copy of Total 911?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back