Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil found on inner front left wing - any ideas

Have a look at the driveshaft rubber boot that goes into the hub .. is there any grease on it ( split ) .

I cant see the shock absorber very well but is it wet at the base of the chrome shaft ?

Hi

I've checked both and they are both dry. I've stuck my finger the hole you seen in the picture and its wet and the the oil looks greenish? pentosin?

Thanks

Aghhhh it all becomes clear !

Have a look at the clutch fluid lvl .. its going to be over flowing .. you have a problem with either the slave cyl or the power steering pump with the slave cyl being the most obvious.

Clutch resevoir is o/s/f and next to the battery under the panel.

EDIT to explain a bit better .

The clutch system is pressure assisted , the pressure comes from the power steering pump.

There is an accumilator which holds the pressure next to the slave cyl.

There are internal seals in the slave cylinder which stop the pressure getting to the low pressure , the fill side .

These can fail and allow pressure to be applyed to the fluid from the clutch resevoir .. this will in turn slowly over fill and the power steering lvl will drop.

Pentosin Is corrosive to rubber .. youll need to wash it away and make sure that anythat has got onto rubber pipes is cleaned off.

Attachments

• resevoir_758.jpg
    resevoir_758.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3,023
Thanks, very informative.

Any ideas on cost to repair?

you need to pull the panel off to confirm its that and the most obvious is the slave cyl but it is possible its also the power steering pump.

Time wise 2 hours to replace the slave cyl plus parts .

Thanks Demort and all others for your advice. I presume I should replace clutch slave cylinder with 997tt or GT2?

:thumbs:

Erm... Don't you mean the clutch master rather than slave? The slave is the one that sits on the gearbox.

Martin996RSR said:
Erm... Don't you mean the clutch master rather than slave? The slave is the one that sits on the gearbox.

The Turbo clutch slave cyl has more going on in it than a C2 for example .. its a pressurised cyl via the power steering which when faulty pushes pentosin out of the clutch resevoir ...

Basically you need an awfully strong leg to depress the pedal without power assist due to the heavy duty clutch thats fitted !

link here but i would drop the back of the gearbox to allow better access ..

https://www.rmeuropean.com/porsche-996-turbo-clutch-slave-cylinder-replacement.aspx

I can only recomend the standard one .. part numbers are different and i dont know what difference there is between the 2

Thanks Demort :thumbs: I had never seen such a system before, and it's layout and failure mode is something completely new to me. It's rare that I encounter something completely new in cars these days, so many thanks for the new knowledge.

Thanks Demort and everyone else who has contributed. I've ordered a new part.

Hi Demort and contributors

I have checked my service history folder and found that the clutch slave cylinder and accumulator were changed by OPC under 4 years/6,000 miles ago.

Car is going to my local Indy on Friday.

My questions is whether this is normal? do have I have ground to OPC?

I have ordered both parts, just in case. However, could it be a split pipe?

Thanks

deMort said:
you need to pull the panel off to confirm its that and the most obvious is the slave cyl but it is possible its also the power steering pump.

It can also be the pump but the slave cyl is the normal fault .

That is very little usuage for it to fail again but i doubt youll get warrenty due to the time.

It could be the resevoir , ive never seen it but without looking at your car i can only give an educated answer im afraid .

Thanks Demort, I'll have a look at the reserviour. Anything in particular I should look at?

Thanks

Well i hope you did actually check thats its over flowing :)

Just have a look in that area , take a picture if possible .. a leak should be obvious if its a crack or split.

I'm back home on Friday evening. I will take a pic and post. Strange as reserviour is on the offise of the car and the leak is on the nearside wheel arch of car. :eh!:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back