Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front lights - how difficult to separate ?

markrnorton

The Front lights on a 996.1 , How tricky is it to separate the lens from the case ?

I've read the articles on baking in the oven etc etc, does it realy work and is it easy ?
or easy to mess up ??

can anyone who has done this just give me some realistic feedback please

thanks

mark

Tried it on my R32 when some low life tried to get at the HID bulb. Found it impossible, bought an old one Fleabay, baked it in the oven, tried a heat gun...

Found it impossible, maybe I didn't give it long enough in the oven. Maybe the non R32 assembly I bought online is different in construction to the R32 HID version?!

Long story short, I bought a secondhand assembly from the forum. VW wanted nearly 700 squid.

Cobra (I think that was his username) did an incredible job of rebuilding his headlight internals a few years ago, I believe that he used the oven/heat gun method. Mind you he was a bit of a genius with modifications so be prepared for something to go wrong!

HSC911 said:
911munKy said:
Cobra (I think that was his username) did an incredible job of rebuilding his headlight internals a few years ago, I believe that he used the oven/heat gun method. Mind you he was a bit of a genius with modifications so be prepared for something to go wrong!

C11BRA

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1068659&highlight=#1068659

:thumb:

Blimy , that reminds me ive not seen him post in ages .. wonder if hes still got his Porsche :dont know:

yes its possible but i would say .. dont try it unless you can afford to replace it should it all go wrong .. for me a hot knife and a heat gun rather than an oven .. but ive never done it , just thinking how i would attempt it come the time when i have to .. sigh ..

It will happen one day .. every thing does :D

opening front lights

Markrnorton, did you opened your headlights already? Most important is to really heaten the adhesive between glass and housing!!

Why do you want to open them up?

I've been trying to find an easy and safe way to get into mine for ages to give them a good clean out but the closest I've done is to use some ethanol and not open them.

Open headlights

I opened them up to remove burned reflector and installed bi xenon projectors and day running lights. Huge improvement in looks and the amount of light!!

Re: Open headlights

classicgarage said:
I opened them up to remove burned reflector and installed bi xenon projectors and day running lights. Huge improvement in looks and the amount of light!!

:useless:

:grin:

Re: Open headlights

classicgarage said:

Sadly this probably won't be legal in the UK with the new MoT rules.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back