Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Front drains

vlad

Hi, looking for some info. on the above.

How many are there in the front in and around the battery ?

I can see rubber grommet type thingy's but they are quite wide and open at the bottom about 2" deep. Is that it? does the water then drop out of the car from there or should that drain/grommet connect to a pipe?

All previous posts seem to show the 996 diagram , is the 997 the same, also I am interested for a Coupe and AWD not 2WD (if it makes a difference?)

See image below .. its the best i could find...

There is also a cutout into the inner wing on a 997 .

the grommet is there to stop mice geting in .. it doesnt work so often these grommets are missing .. they dont block if they aint there !

Attachments

• drains_625.jpg
    drains_625.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 1,126
Yes thanks those are the drains I have been exploring, there is a matching pair on the passenger side as well.

The grommets themselves look like this:

they vent straight down into the box section below ? No pipe like I understood from the 996 diagram which showed pipes venting the water to the outside of the inner wings?

There is hole for a pipe to exit to the inner wings as shown in the 996 diagram? (I was always led to believe the drainage method was the same in both models )

I have noticed water in the frunk (I have seen the writeup about the possible ingress from the front bumper impact tube - but wanted to check that these drains in the battery/scuttle area are working correctly before I take the bumper off!)

If the box sections below the battery fill with water would this account for the ingress of water into the frunk?

My drive does have a slight incline upwards (and I park facing the house) , so perhaps the entry of water from the bumper impact tube is more likely.

Attachments

• scuttle_drains_137.jpg
    scuttle_drains_137.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 996_drain_456.jpg
    996_drain_456.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,059
The drain tubes were only there on the early 996 .. there isnt really a need for them as the water just runs onto the petrol tank and out under the car .

With or without the grommts fitted water will still drain away .. i think without is better as a hole that size will never block but thats upto you .

Have a look at the n/s by the battery and make sure no one has run any wires through the grommet and into the "frunk " .. people tend to cut a hole and push the wires through then dont seal it... radio stuff usually.

Other than that theres very few areas water can actually get into the bonnet area , main one being the grommet o/s/f where the wireing runs through .. its in line with were the water will run along side the bonnet seal.

A certain security object used to be fitted in that area and some mechanics have cut the grommet to run wires from outside to inside .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back